Pour on Ivomec

gspmo1

Pour on Ivomec

Post by gspmo1 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:41 pm

I have been reading the different threads on Ivomec injection. But I came across the Ivomec pour on that goes through the skin.

My question is does anyone use this or is it not safe for use on dogs?

Thanks

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Pour on Ivomec

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed May 12, 2010 6:24 am

gspmo1 wrote:I have been reading the different threads on Ivomec injection. But I came across the Ivomec pour on that goes through the skin.

My question is does anyone use this or is it not safe for use on dogs?

Thanks
Never heard of anyone using it. The injectable is used off-label orally in dogs.

I have gone to using horse paste Ivermectin. It's just so easy.

Greg J.

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:39 am

I've not heard of using it for dogs, but can tell you that for cattle, the pour on is definitely LESS effective.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed May 12, 2010 7:46 am

daniel77 wrote:I've not heard of using it for dogs, but can tell you that for cattle, the pour on is definitely LESS effective.
less effective than what, injectable?? hows that?

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Wed May 12, 2010 8:42 am

Greg,
How do you dose the horse paste?
Dog On Point!!

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Wed May 12, 2010 8:57 am

Yeah I have decided to use the the injectiable, given oraly. I might try the paste but Im not sure about the dosage amount.

I thought the pour on might be easier to administer, but was unsure if anyone used it.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed May 12, 2010 9:23 am

BoJack wrote:Greg,
How do you dose the horse paste?
The syringe shaft is graduated in "clicks" or notches. I squirt about a half click on my finger and wipe it on the dog's tongue.

It's very convenient.

Greg J.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Wed May 12, 2010 9:41 am

"I squirt about a half click on my finger and wipe it on the dog's tongue"

Is it the same for pups?(12wks)
Dog On Point!!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed May 12, 2010 10:11 am

BoJack wrote:"I squirt about a half click on my finger and wipe it on the dog's tongue"

Is it the same for pups?(12wks)
Nope. That's for a 50 lb dog at a 1/10 per 20 lbs rate. Most people use the 1/10 per 10 lbs which is much, much more than is needed for heartworm.

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Wed May 12, 2010 1:43 pm

I use it in the 1/10 @ 20 and put 3/10 in a 1 cc syringe. All I have used for years. I put it on the food dry and let it sit a bit before feeding. I put the pour on my cattle and it works sooo well on the cattle.

Every other month I us strongid Horse Paste on the tounge to take care of the parasites that Ivomec does not get. Ivomec is great for heartworms. A pearl on the tip of your finger takes care of it.

The horse people rotate the paste they use at lease every 6 months.

Jerry
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:20 pm

dog dr wrote:
daniel77 wrote:I've not heard of using it for dogs, but can tell you that for cattle, the pour on is definitely LESS effective.
Yes, than injectable.

Don't know why that'd need further explanation, but I will add that I'm in South La, and our parasite problems are monstrous compared to what ya'll above the Mason Dixon line may see. In fact, we commonly lose around half of our sheep. aka wooly grass maggots born looking for a place to die, purely to parasites even with worm control programs in place. A very good friend of mine did her master's thesis project on sheep and had to start with 210 head to insure she'd have 90 left for slaughter at the end of 9 months. Maybe not true in other parts of the country, but I can tell you that many jokes exist here about pour on wormer.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu May 13, 2010 7:56 am

daniel77 wrote:
dog dr wrote:
Yes, than injectable.

Don't know why that'd need further explanation, but I will add that I'm in South La, and our parasite problems are monstrous compared to what ya'll above the Mason Dixon line may see. In fact, we commonly lose around half of our sheep. aka wooly grass maggots born looking for a place to die, purely to parasites even with worm control programs in place. A very good friend of mine did her master's thesis project on sheep and had to start with 210 head to insure she'd have 90 left for slaughter at the end of 9 months. Maybe not true in other parts of the country, but I can tell you that many jokes exist here about pour on wormer.

Oh i fully agree that there has been a major spike in resistance to ivomec. we are seeing it in sheep goats, horses and cattle. i guess my point is that there shouldnt be any difference in the injectable vs the pour on, as they both get into the bloodstream, just via different mechanisms. i have switched over to safeguard (panacur/fenbendazole) on livestock. attended a CE conference a couple months ago that convinced me it was the way to go. the guy gave some very convincing data.

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:38 am

I know it's the same stuff via a diff mechanism, and I can't explain to you why it doesn't work as well, but from a practical standpoint it just is a fair bit less effective.

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:31 am

I go to a vet here in North Platte, who uses the pour on Ivomec, on dogs. He believes it kills fleas on contact while the Ivomec is being absorbed through the skin.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:58 pm

First off, if you have ever used pour on ivomec on cattle then you would not want to mess with it with dogs. It stays on the cattle for days in a wax form.

Everyone always talks about giving 1/10 cc per 10 lbs (1% solution) or diluting it with ethalen glycol.

I buy the .27% ivomectin, then give 1 cc per 20 lbs. That way I do not have to mess with diluting, and it is easier to give to lighter dogs.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:05 pm

Birddog3412 wrote:
Everyone always talks about giving 1/10 cc per 10 lbs (1% solution) or diluting it with ethalen glycol.

I hope you mean propylene glycol, ethylene glycol is antifreeze.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:47 pm

I did mean propylene glycol thanks.....but it is used as an antifreeze also.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:24 pm

Birddog3412 wrote:I did mean propylene glycol thanks.....but it is used as an antifreeze also.
should have posted auto antifreeze.....a little will kill your dog.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:56 am

i used pour on ivomec to treat a dog for mange once. it worked, so i dont know why it work for other things.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:02 am

Hey Greg, how does that horse paste compare cost-wise to the cattle ivomec that I administer orally?

And dog dr, if I use the 1/10 per 10lbs of ivomec for my dogs, do I need to supplement that bi-annually with Safegard? That's what I have been doing over the past 18 months or so. (Though I read that I can cut down the ivomec to 1/10 per 20lbs)
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:30 am

Ayres wrote:Hey Greg, how does that horse paste compare cost-wise to the cattle ivomec that I administer orally?

And dog dr, if I use the 1/10 per 10lbs of ivomec for my dogs, do I need to supplement that bi-annually with Safegard? That's what I have been doing over the past 18 months or so. (Though I read that I can cut down the ivomec to 1/10 per 20lbs)
For just a few dogs, the horse paste is the cheapest by far. The branded stuff - Zimectrin - is $8 a tube, and that equates to 50 doses if you use a 1/2 click. The apple flavored stuff Durvet is $5 a tube and is the same stuff as Zimectrin.

It really depends on how many dogs you treat, because the the stuff's best case shelf-life is 2 years. I haven't done the math to determine how many dogs it takes to make the liquid worth the money. If I remember correctly, a half click is about 1600 micrograms, which for a dog like mine is a very small dose. It is more than Heartguard but still a de minimis dose.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:55 am

Ayres wrote:Hey Greg, how does that horse paste compare cost-wise to the cattle ivomec that I administer orally?

in my opinion, no, you shouldnt have to do the safegard. just keep an eye out for tapes.

tn red

Post by tn red » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:33 am

dog dr wrote:

in my opinion, no, you shouldnt have to do the safegard. just keep an eye out for tapes.
Doc which other worms will ivomec protect against? at that dose

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:13 pm

at that dose it should get hooks, rounds, and whips.