Dog nose problems, w/ Pictures

Jager

Dog nose problems, w/ Pictures

Post by Jager » Wed May 12, 2010 9:26 am

One of our dogs has developed a nose condition. This pretty much appeared over a 24 hr period. We noticed it first on Sunday with what seemed like a scratch. These pictures where taken last night. There is clear fluid oozing out with some blood. It it sensitive to the touch. I have patted it down with cold wash rag, put AD cream on it and also have been giving him two benydril twice a day as he wants to scratch at it. I thought it might be some type of allergy. I thought if it didn't start to clear up soon I'd take him to the vet. Any ideas? :?: Thanks.
Dear Lord, Please make me the kind of person my dogs think I am.

http://www.allnkennels.com

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog nose problems, w/ Pictures

Post by mcbosco » Wed May 12, 2010 9:28 am

I would have a vet look at that for sure. There looks to be hair loss around the eyes as well.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 12, 2010 10:28 am

First thing that comes to my mind is either juvenile cellulitis aka puppy strangles GET TO THE VET it is treatable with an aggressive action with Prednisone and antibiotics

Or the other thing which is a rare skin disease that is known with the GSP's can't remember the name of the condition but if it is..That is not good news at all because it is fatal...

Good Luck Keep us posted as to what it is
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Wed May 12, 2010 10:30 am

We have seen that before on this forum,,,, might want to look through the archives.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed May 12, 2010 12:23 pm

kninebirddog wrote: Or the other thing which is a rare skin disease that is known with the GSP's can't remember the name of the condition but if it is..That is not good news at all because it is fatal...

Good Luck Keep us posted as to what it is
Perhaps you're thinking about LD - Lupoid Dematosis. From research thus far it is an inherited condition. The diagnosis is made by skin biopsy. Normally seen between 6 mos. & three years of age. The condition is apparent with fur loss, itching & scaling of the skin. Episodic eruptions can include secondary infection. I offer no opinion as to what condition this dog may be suffering from.

Edited once for a typo.
Last edited by BigShooter on Wed May 12, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed May 12, 2010 2:11 pm

This particular GSP is our first. He was basically a rescue. Pure breed as far as we know, just no papers. He will be 7 in June. He does have a pigment skin disorder that causes some of his nose area & lip area to be pink. In fact at one point his entire nose was pink, but obviously it has now darkened back. Haven't noticed any change in his hair around his eyes, it seems to be the same as ususal. With the couple suggestions that I've gotten so far from here...I thought I'd better take him to the vet soon instead of waiting. Was able to get him an appointment this afternoon. Will let you know what we find out. Thanks!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Good Luck....
Will be sending Mojo and prayers that it is a simple fix.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed May 12, 2010 2:35 pm

Good plan. It sure looks to me like a boil infection, like the kind you can get from staphylococcus. Although, there can be a number of underlying causes for an eruption that looks like that. It'd be nice for you if it is just a treatable infection caused by a break in the skin.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Wed May 12, 2010 3:41 pm

Ok,,,, it was bugging me so I looked it up.

Sunday July 19, 2009,,,, Moose posed the same question under the heading,,,, Has anyone ever seen anything like this. Its about on page 6.

Check it out look at the pictures,, it looks the same. Might contact him to get more info.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed May 12, 2010 3:54 pm

Here's the thread Rich looked up: http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 6&start=30.

I think the conclusion was a likely infection of unknown origin, treated with the usual "shotgun approach" of steroids and antibiotics.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu May 13, 2010 6:56 am

My GSP had something that looked like this last spring/summer. The vet said it was a staph infection and treated it with antibiotics and it cleared up in about two weeks. I'd say go see the vet.

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu May 13, 2010 7:25 am

The vet said that she didn't know what exactly may have caused this. She suspected that it is either an allergic reaction to something that he may have "rooted" his nose in while outside or it could also be a scratch or bite that has caused this reaction. She put him on 250mg of Cephalexin (3 pills twice a day) and a spray of Chlorhexiderm 4%. She also said that if the benedryl that we are giving him helps with the itching, so that he doesn't scratch at it, that we could continue with it too. So we are also giving 2 of those twice a day. This morning it was the same. If it hasn't started to get better by Monday, she suggested possibly putting him on predisone and/or taking a skin sampling of it to see what it actually is. Other than that he seemed healthy. No swollen lymph nodes, good pads, does have a ear infection in one ear; but that is something that is on going with this dog. Thanks for all of your thoughts & suggestions. We'll keep updating.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu May 13, 2010 7:48 am

looks auto-immune to me. i would bet some prednisone is in your future. good luck!

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu May 13, 2010 8:00 am

YES, forgot to mentioned that she also stated that it could be auto-immune related. Not sure what that means exactly. Does he need to have testing of some sort for that? Odd that this condition has come almost out of no where.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu May 13, 2010 8:08 am

Doc, Pemphigus?

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu May 13, 2010 8:32 am

mcbosco wrote:Doc, Pemphigus?
could be, would need a biopsy to know for sure

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu May 13, 2010 11:25 am

dog dr wrote:looks auto-immune to me. i would bet some prednisone is in your future. good luck!
(oops meant to say
edit to add)
along the lines of dog dr the auto immune to be
more like An Adult form of Juvenile Cellulitis / Pyoderma

a regime of Prednisone and the antibiotics and I bet you see it clear up

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/Me ... ail/382839

http://vfu-www.vfu.cz/acta-vet/vol74/74-117.pdf

Jager

Post by Jager » Tue May 18, 2010 8:43 am

Thought I'd update everyone on my dogs nose problem. The antibiotics & spray were not working. His nose was not getting any worse but not any better either. So, called the vet on Saturday and she gave a perscription of prednisone (as predicted). He's been on that since Sat. night. It is clearing up, thankfully. It has crusted over and is not an open sore any longer and he is not scratching at it. Not sure exactly what it was. We did not do a biopsy. If it ever appears again, we'll definately do one. Thanks for your concerns. Special thanks to the Dog Dr....helping us out through PM's while going through a tough time with your own dog's death. So sorry for your loss. Condolences to you & your wife :cry: Hang in there. Time heals pain. Take Care.

jcbjr

Post by jcbjr » Tue May 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Dogs with light to no skin pigmentation on their nose are prone to nasal solar dermatitis, which is sun induced. Very common in Collies, but occurs in other breeds, too. If no response to current treatment, I'd opt for a biopsy to get a definitive diagnosis on it. If it is NSD, you'll have to color or tattoo the unpigmented skin after lesions resolve, or use high SPF sun screen. Get that biopsy for conformation first, though. Good luck!

Jim B., DVM

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue May 18, 2010 8:22 pm

jcbjr wrote:Dogs with light to no skin pigmentation on their nose are prone to nasal solar dermatitis, which is sun induced. Very common in Collies, but occurs in other breeds, too. If no response to current treatment, I'd opt for a biopsy to get a definitive diagnosis on it. If it is NSD, you'll have to color or tattoo the unpigmented skin after lesions resolve, or use high SPF sun screen. Get that biopsy for conformation first, though. Good luck!

Jim B., DVM
Interestingly I was looking at canine nose pigmentation the other day on the internet and came across this site: http://www.ashgi.org/color/Aussie_noses.html

On the site is a dog that was followed through age three. On this particular dog the pigmentation continued to fill in through age three, the last age the dog was followed.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:00 am

I am a little late getting in on this discussion but wanted to see what has happened in the last couple of weeks. Near the end of last summer, my 1 year old gsp had the same thing. It broke out on the nose almost overnight in the exact same place your pictures show. We treated it with a 4 in 1 cream which appeared to do nothing. After 3 weeks on the cream and with no change, we gave up. As her nose dried out, the condition improved. It took a month or so before the hair started to grow back and she seems to have had no long term scarring or side effects. From the description of LD, that could not have been the condition or she would be dead by now. Our vet seemed to think it could have been a fungal infection due to the incredibly wet summer we had last year. Right now it still seems to be a mystery but I would love to know exactly what caused this. My other GSP, who she has a lot of contact with, did not have the same problems. We did not do the steroid treatments so I'm not sure how much this would have helped.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

allaboutourdogs

Post by allaboutourdogs » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:28 pm

I suggest don't put anything when this happens again. Your dog may be allergic to the medicine you'll give him and might worsen his condition. Take him to the vet immediately, they know better than us.

By the way, how's your dog? I hope he's fine now. My heart stopped when I saw this poor dog's nose.
I love Alex, the best German Shepherd dog I've ever had... :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:17 pm

allaboutourdogs wrote:I suggest don't put anything when this happens again. Your dog may be allergic to the medicine you'll give him and might worsen his condition. Take him to the vet immediately, they know better than us.

By the way, how's your dog? I hope he's fine now. My heart stopped when I saw this poor dog's nose.

This anotherthread that is months old. And I wouldn't ever tell some one not to use a topical med on a condition like that for fear of allergies as the only way you or a vet could tell about allergies is to do the complete scan and that is done after the fact and not as a preventative.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.