Pro Plan to Sportsman's Pride

nanney1

Pro Plan to Sportsman's Pride

Post by nanney1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:57 am

I really like the Pro Plan 26/16 All Life Stages Chicken and Rice that I've been feeding for a while now and don't want to change. But I'm tired of paying $40.99 for a 37.5 lb bag.

Several other foods are available in my area at a much better price and in a 50lb bag. I'm feeding one adult dog 4 cups per day and one growing puppy 4 1/2 cups per day. Right now, I'm going through a 37.5 lb bag of the Pro Plan around every 2 1/2 weeks.

I like the results I've been getting with Pro Plan and have been hedging on changing despite the price.

The most convenient and affordable option is Sportsman's Pride. I can get it near where I work or at another store which is on my way home. So, two convenient options to purchase at $21.25 for a 50 lb bag of the 26/18. Spoke with the local rep and he was patient, knowledgeable, and answered all my questions. Didn't hurt that he offered a free sample. So, I'm going to give it a try. We'll see how it goes. I'm down towards the end of the Pro Plan bag so, I'll start transitioning to the Sportsman's Pride tonight.

hpvizslas

Re: Pro Plan to Sportsman's Pride

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Good luck with the change. I recently switched from Pro Plan Premium to Diamond Premium and the dogs have been doing great. At half the cost it is helping my wallet too. Several people had suggested not changing but so far I have not seen any negatives. Going on the third bag after the change and it is working.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:15 pm

I also recently switched to the diamond 26/16 "grain free" (no corn, wheat, soy) and am about done with the second bag, no problems.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:58 pm

hpvizslas wrote:Good luck with the change. I recently switched from Pro Plan Premium to Diamond Premium and the dogs have been doing great. At half the cost it is helping my wallet too. Several people had suggested not changing but so far I have not seen any negatives. Going on the third bag after the change and it is working.
Please tell us it isn't so!!! You actually switched to that evil Diamond product????? :lol: :lol:

Sorry folks, I got carried away but couldn't resist. :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:28 am

I didn't really mix it together with the Pro Plan as dogs will usually make a mess trying to get to the new kibble. So, I fed them 3/4 of their Pro Plan and then gave them 1/4 Sportsman's Pride once they finished the Pro Plan to give them their usual amount of food. Same deal this morning and they both ate it up. I'll up the amount this evening. Since I feed twice a day, I will transition over about a three day period.

My son tried a piece and said it didn't have much taste. No, I'm not kidding. He didn't eat it, just tasted it on his tongue.

This is the smallest kibble I've ever seen and dark in color. Bigger than a BB but smaller than a green pea.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:47 am

What are the first five ingredients in Sportsman's Pride?
big steve

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:59 am

On the 26/18 that I have, the first three ingredients listed on the back of the bag are Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Chicken Fat. After the first three, it's hard to remember but I believe the next ingredients are: rice, ground wheat, corn gluten meal, beet pulp, although I may have some of those last four out of order.

I've seen this ingredient list for the Premium Adult 26/18 listed on various websites, and while very similar, it is not what is listed on the bag that I have. Perhaps this is an older formula and the bag lists the updated formula. The Guaranteed Analysis look to be the same as the bag. Again, what you see below is something I've seen on the web, but is not exactly what is listed on the bag.

CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, RICE, CORN MEAL, CHICKEN FAT (PRESERVED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS), DRIED BEET PULP (SUGAR REMOVED), CORN GLUTEN MEAL, NATURAL FLAVORS, FLAXSEED, DRIED EGG PRODUCT, BREWERS YEAST, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, LECITHIN, CANOLA OIL, ROSEMARY EXTRACT, VITAMINS: CHOLINE CHLORIDE, NATURAL-SOURCE VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, NIACIN, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (SOURCE OF VITAMIN B1), PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (SOURCE OF VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, MINERALS: KELP POLYSACCHARIDE COMPLEXES OF ZINC, IRON, MANGANESE AND COPPER, ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, CALCIUM IODATE, COBALT CARBONATE, SODIUM SELENITE.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

CRUDE PROTEIN (min) • 26.00%
CRUDE FAT (min) • 18.00%
CRUDE FIBER (max) • 3.00%
MOISTURE (max) • 12.00%
LINOLEIC ACID (min) • 3.50%
ASH (max) • 6.00%
CALCIUM (min) • 1.00%
PHOSPHORUS (min) • 0.80%
SODIUM (min) • 0.30%
ZINC (min) • 200 MG/KG
VITAMIN A (min) • 12,000 IU/KG
VITAMIN E (min) • 125 IU/KG
OMEGA-6 FATTY ACIDS (min) • 3.00%*
OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS (min) • 0.55%*

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:01 am

Looks good to me. If the dogs look good, process well, and have good energy and stamina, sounds like you have a good product.
big steve

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:58 am

So far, so good. They've been on Sportsman's Pride 26/18 completely for two days now. They like it and seem to process it well. No digestive upset or loose stools during the changeover.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:07 am

nanney1 wrote:So far, so good. They've been on Sportsman's Pride 26/18 completely for two days now. They like it and seem to process it well. No digestive upset or loose stools during the changeover.

You won't have any real problems with the switch. You will have to wait at least a month to see if you see any changes in condition of the dogs. And I sure wouldn't expect that you will. Just watch the weight and coat condition and you will see if there is a difference but it takes a while. Nutritional changes will take weeks at least to produce any noticablw change such as dryer skin or changes in energy,Weight changes will be the first thing you will see normally. But none of the change are instantly noticeable.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:38 am

It's been a month since I switched and the dogs are halfway through the second bag of Sportsman's Pride Premium Adult 26/18. My pup has continued to grow at his rapid rate. Haven't had much chance to weigh my big female since she has been in heat and I haven't taken her out to weigh at our local Petsmart.

Took her this weekend and she's gained 3.5 pounds. Probably need to back off just a little. So far, so good. The dogs like it, eat it well, and have firm stools.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:26 pm

The real test will be this hunting season
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:01 am

Georgia Boy wrote:The real test will be this hunting season
Someone else will have to test it on their dogs as far as how they do in the field. I usually mention it in my posts, but didn't in this thread. I don't have hunting dogs and I don't own any sporting breeds or hounds.

I hang out here because people who do own performance/hunting dogs seem to have much more common sense when it comes to canine nutrition than what I usually find on pet dog discussion boards.

However, I do know that our local Sheriff's Department and one of the City Departments feed this to their K9's. Those dogs get more work than the average pet and I've spoken with a few of the K9 officers and they are happy with the Sportsman's Pride Premium Adult.