broken toe nail

Shadow

broken toe nail

Post by Shadow » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:32 pm

yesterday all 4 were playing in the yard- I heard a yelp- went out- male pup was bleeding good from his right rear foot

told him to stand- raised the foot- toe nail was sticking straight up- crap

hollered to the wife- brought the pup in- had him jump up on the table- wife held his head- I got the pliers- she said you'll hurt him-
squeezed the up sticking toe nail- slight twist and jerk- he yelped and then licked my hand- I dabbed on some Quickstop- let him lay on the pillow- has a toenail missing but right back to his roudy self this morning

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: broken toe nail

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:46 pm

It'll most likely grow back, see a vet if your worried.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:49 pm

thats exactly what i would have done, but you would have had to pay an emergency fee! :wink: :wink:

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:53 am

I've never minded vet fees- over the years and the dogs there have been times when it's a darn good thing you are available

one thing I do like about over here- no barbed wire fences- all kinds of episodes with barbed wire

Maverick57

Post by Maverick57 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:50 am

Glad Shadow is ok. you might get and keep on hand super glue Gel, or any other brand but gel is best dries quicker.

Mollie Sue was at the lake with us 2 weeks ago and she cut her foot, got the first aid kit cleaned, dried and applied the glue. Next day I checked it looked good.

Get a chance Check ok my face book go to photos and find K9 Krew, pictures of the New K9 Member and the others who have Been fostered or lived with us for a time. Check out the other albums as well Summer 2010 is the kaycak pictures.

Facebook will come up Lisa N Alison.

Later My Friend
Maverick 57

If you are not the lead Dog, The view never changes !

Good Girls Seldom Make History !

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi Maverick- will have to go do some looking- thanx- ahhhh I like superglue- use it in my business- glued up a pretty bad tear a couple years ago- works well on me too

dang pup Choc acted like it was nothing- toenail sticking straight up-

what the heck did you do now fella- blood all over and on his white coat- he wanted to play- hey hey- get in here-
then he comes and sits- bleeding pretty good- lifts his back leg- so me not knowing I carried him in the houase

now he thinks he's special- the other three are outside- he wants to play

and to boot- he's been limping as his right front paw got jammed or something-

had to chuckle- walking- he didn't know which one was sore- would lift one then the other

stop the bleeding!

had to do a bit of carpet cleaning

he's fine today- matter of fact not too long ago he ran up and jumped Shadow- growling and acting all fierce- Shadow stands head up tail up- like- "you think"

he's going to be something- Shadows so mello- wonder if Choc is going to be the dominant one- something to think about as he gets older- 1 year next week

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:54 am

Twice I have had broken toe nails on dogs, both times while out hunting. I did not know it till they came running by and I noticed that the white on the dog was red all over. Call the dog in and find out she is bleeding like crazy from the broken toenail. Some quick stop and back to the kennel for the day. The dog didn't care and would still have run and hunt like normal, but the toe wouldn't stop bleeding then.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:07 am

slistoe wrote: The dog didn't care and would still have run and hunt like normal, but the toe wouldn't stop bleeding then.

Oh sure it would have.... ALL bleeding stops eventually! :wink: :wink:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:06 pm

dog dr wrote:
slistoe wrote: The dog didn't care and would still have run and hunt like normal, but the toe wouldn't stop bleeding then.

Oh sure it would have.... ALL bleeding stops eventually! :wink: :wink:
Exactly what I was wanting to avoid! :cry:

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:09 pm

what is something is- the broken toe nail bled more than when my female got hung up on a barbed wire fence- I had to go help her get loose- hardly any blood but a 7" patch of skin was hanging- that took a call to my vet who met me on a Sunday

dog dr- I've had a few of mine get caught on barbed wire- mostly the front of the legs and sometimes back leg fronts- they don't seem to bleed

is the blood not really flowing in the skin-or shuts off quickly

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 pm

Shadow wrote:what is something is- the broken toe nail bled more than when my female got hung up on a barbed wire fence- I had to go help her get loose- hardly any blood but a 7" patch of skin was hanging- that took a call to my vet who met me on a Sunday

dog dr- I've had a few of mine get caught on barbed wire- mostly the front of the legs and sometimes back leg fronts- they don't seem to bleed

is the blood not really flowing in the skin-or shuts off quickly

usually by the time the blood supply reaches the skin, the vessels are VERY small. so not a high volume of blood there, AND they do tend to shut off prety quick. the real bleeders come when you get deeper into muscle or cut a prominent vein, like the one that runs down the front of the front leg. if you cut an artery, they will bleed and bleed and bleed and bleed and bleed.......

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:32 am

thanks- I can see and feel those veins- never had one cut but I understand

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:20 pm

When Buster was just 4 months old, same thing, heard a yelp. Plenty of blood. I was at work. Could not see how or if it was a broken toe nail. Brought him to the vet, Not a broken toenail. It was a broken toe. The nail was straight up. The doc removed the first part of his toe to the joint. Sewed the hide back over, supposedly got all the toe nail cuticle etc. but every so often I have to trim this ugly little toe nail that sticks straight up. On occassion it will get infected. I suspect he hits it on somehting and acts like an ingrown toe nail. 8 years old and not really a bother.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:05 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:When Buster was just 4 months old, same thing, heard a yelp. Plenty of blood. I was at work. Could not see how or if it was a broken toe nail. Brought him to the vet, Not a broken toenail. It was a broken toe. The nail was straight up. The doc removed the first part of his toe to the joint. Sewed the hide back over, supposedly got all the toe nail cuticle etc. but every so often I have to trim this ugly little toe nail that sticks straight up. On occassion it will get infected. I suspect he hits it on somehting and acts like an ingrown toe nail. 8 years old and not really a bother.

Rick

if the nail is still growing, then he didnt remove the bone up to the joint. probably just removed the portion of nail that was broken.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:40 pm

If you want to see blood from a little cut get one that snags an ear on something. A bleeding toenail looks like a scratch comparatively.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:34 pm

slistoe wrote:If you want to see blood from a little cut get one that snags an ear on something. A bleeding toenail looks like a scratch comparatively.
No Kidding ! I had clients out, dog ripped his ear about an inch in some brambles. White dog, whole side of his face was blood red, down the shoulder and back on his ribs. I asked "who shot my dog" LOL you shoulda seen the "oh Sh$(" looks on their faces. Was good for a laugh when I let them in on how he did it. Dog coulda cared less, tough bugger.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:02 pm

birddog1968 wrote:
slistoe wrote:If you want to see blood from a little cut get one that snags an ear on something. A bleeding toenail looks like a scratch comparatively.
No Kidding ! I had clients out, dog ripped his ear about an inch in some brambles. White dog, whole side of his face was blood red, down the shoulder and back on his ribs. I asked "who shot my dog" LOL you shoulda seen the "oh Sh$(" looks on their faces. Was good for a laugh when I let them in on how he did it. Dog coulda cared less, tough bugger.

yeah, there are a couple of decent veins on the backside of those ears. looks like a massacre.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:16 pm

yikes you guys- I can see how an ear on a white dog who moves out would be something scary

my first hard charger was a small English pointer almost totally white- tail would really go- in corn and milo stuble that tail was usually spraying blood-

one time we heard a yelp, some whining- we ran and she was hanging on the top strand of a tight barded wire fence- one of the guys was good- he got her calmed down and we worked her loose- 7" piece of skin was hanging from her belly- no blood- hard to figure- I took off my tee shirt and we wrapped her- mile and some from the the vehicles- I took her back- put her in the dog box- she howled like crazy- so I stayed till the guys started back- two of us headed home- called our vet- he sewed her up on that Sunday- dang- but she tore the stictches out- so he put a mesh under the skin and sewed to that- since that time she didn't fly over fences but would look for a way under- couldn't blame her but it was sort of comical to watch- she'd run up and down a tight barbed wire fence- sometimes just sit and wait for me

some years later I had a small E Setter again almost all white- she was good about fences- but that happy tail again-

can say since Britt's it's been different

Quick Stop worked darn well- and I still always have it with me- use it on myself a time or two

jcbjr

Post by jcbjr » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:10 am

Shadow, you did well. I'll echo Dog Doc; the only difference if I'd treated in my office is the nice blue scrub top with my name embroidered on it, my sweet receptionist, and my pliers are stainless steel. Oh, yeah, and your wallet would have been lighter going out. guys, of this happens out hunting, get that broken nail off ASAP, as this will help pain/ lameness resolve faster. Sometimes, though, it's still attached pretty firmly, in which case, leave it alone. Keep those nails trimmed short to avoid this in the first place.k........................Jim B., DVM

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:06 am

jcbjr- thanks- I've been using a dremmel for toe nails for some time- picked up a 7.2 volt at Walmart- like the two speeds
the Britt's have the run of the yard-

heck- sounds like you're the vet of choice

gdog

Post by gdog » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:29 pm

Had my pup out today hunting chukar. He tore one of his nails off. Nothing hanging at all.....broke off right at the toe.

Read the above...cleaned with warm water....antiseptic soap....triple antibiotic ointment...wrapped and booted the foot.

Should I worry about getting him on antibiotics right away? Called my "new" vet and they were more worried that I get to their office to get the pup on pain meds then anything else.

Ava

Post by Ava » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:49 pm

nice... actually, I try to keep my dog's toenails as short as possible & I can say that has never happened to mine. I trim my dog's nails once a week, right down to where you can see the tip of the quick, but not to bleeding ( if possible) their nails should not touch the floor from a normal standing position, unless you have some sort of toe abnormality. if you let it, the quick will grow out with the nail and you won't be able to get your nails clipped short without drawing blood. in this case, take off a very light amount of nail every other day & it will recede to where it should be. I haven't figured out why older dogs' nails grow so much faster than young dogs' nails though.

gdog

Post by gdog » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:12 am

The torn nail on my pup wasn't due to the nail being too long. Tore it off in the rocks while chukar hunting...rough country for sure.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:53 am

I wouldn't put it on antibiotics unless something looked out of place like swelling or discoloured.

my dog has two missing nails right now and returned from her trip from the nationals with something stuck in her toe. No big deal, scalpel (check), wound cleaner (check), forecepts (check), surgery on the couch and let heal as an open wound and antibiotics. Looks great now. (had a piece of branch or bark in there and black puss came out with it).

The wife thinks I'm mean but likes the $300-400 I saved.

wills1235

Post by wills1235 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:48 am

Had a deeply broken nail on Wednesday. Split 3/4 of the way. I trimmed the hangers but couldn't get him to the vet until Friday. When I put him up on the table the vet couldn't find any problems. I grabbed his foot and showed her which nail it was... except it wasn't. Weirdest thing. Bottom part of nail had broken off cleanly and nail looked totally normal, except a bit narrow or thin. Oh well, I had some nutrition questions anyhow. No more dandruff...
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.