GSP and odd leg issue

GSP and odd leg issue

Post by 1114 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:47 am

Hey all -

I've got a 14 week old GSP that's got a weird leg issue. It's happened a few times since I got her (@ 8 weeks) where she'll be walking/playing/etc. and suddenly starts yelping and goes after her rear left leg. She favors it, won't put weight on it or let it touch the ground, yelps and licks at it. The whole episode lasts maybe 60 seconds then it returns to normal and she resumes activity like nothing ever happened.

Any ideas? Cramps? Is it vet time?

By the way, I can't say enough about this site, it's an absolute wealth of knowledge...

Thanks in advance...

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP and odd leg issue

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:24 am

I would say it is vet time....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:41 am

I agree before there is more damage done,

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:55 pm

yes, vet time, but from your description i would be wondering about a luxating patella (dislocating kneecap). your vet should be able to feel it if thats the case. maybe not, though, as that would be odd in a larger sporting breed dog, but always possible. good luck

Post by 1114 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:01 am

dog dr wrote:yes, vet time, but from your description i would be wondering about a luxating patella (dislocating kneecap). your vet should be able to feel it if thats the case. maybe not, though, as that would be odd in a larger sporting breed dog, but always possible. good luck
Thanks for the info, everyone. Just talked to the vet and he indicated his only thought would be cramping or the luxating patella mentioned above. She's due for her final immunizations in a few weeks, he advised to wait until then and he'd examine the kneecaps specifically...

Post by 1114 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:17 am

Thought I'd update this – it might help someone else. Took the pup in this AM and the vet examined both knee caps. Both are fine, no evidence or indication of a luxating patella. Also, there have been two more occurrences of the leg issue since the last visit, but nothing to explain them. Vet thinks pano or cramps. She's in no pain and the incidences are rare and very short, so we'll just keep an eye on her and hope she grows out of it unless she exhibits any additional symptoms.

Thanks again for all the opinions.