Pointer doesnt act hungry.

Birddog3412

Pointer doesnt act hungry.

Post by Birddog3412 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:54 pm

I have an 18 month old pointer that I raised from a puppy. For the last 3 or 4 months she doesnt seem to be hungry (ever since she went through a false preagnacy). She will pick at her food through the day but doesnt act hungry. She doesnt have worms. I have tried adding syrup, lard, etc. doesnt change her interest. She weighs 37lbs but is big framed and tall, she could handle more weight easy. Talked with vet and he was not to concerned, gave me some vitamins with B12 about a month ago. She is not sickly looking but does need more weight on her.

Any advice

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Pointer doesnt act hungry.

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:16 pm

How much dry food is she actually eating? There have many posts about 'thin' dogs and I can only remember one out of the ones with photos that was actually thin.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Feed her green tripe, and some organ meats. She will put on weight for sure.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:38 pm

Birddogz wrote:Feed her green tripe, and some organ meats. She will put on weight for sure.

Oh my god I have company....woohoooo

Green tripe is great stuff and they love it and anything that comes in contact with it. It tends to be available regionally but any Omas Pride dealer will have it. It smells like a road kill so be prepared.

reba

Post by reba » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:21 pm

Only feed once a day.

Evenings are best.

NO free feeding................................!!!!!!!

What she doen't eat within 10 minutes pick it up and don't feed until the next evening.

Never had a dog starve itself to death.

If you feed her bacon because she will not eat the kibble, she will never eat the kibble;-)=

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:17 pm

reba wrote:Only feed once a day.

Evenings are best.

NO free feeding................................!!!!!!!

What she doen't eat within 10 minutes pick it up and don't feed until the next evening.
Tried this.....she lost even more weight. Looked horrible. She doesnt look really as bad at this point, I can see her ribs and hip bones.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:20 pm

mcbosco wrote:How much dry food is she actually eating? There have many posts about 'thin' dogs and I can only remember one out of the ones with photos that was actually thin.
She is eating about 1 1/2 cup a day. Another female I have that is right at 1 year is downing 2 cups and looks good.

I thawed out some ground deer to mix with her feed tonight..........should I cook it or feed it raw?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:20 pm

feed it raw

Have you tried Nupro? Dogs like the strong taste and smell of it.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:08 am

That does not seem normal. Dog has no infection or discharge? I have seen dogs go off their food at the end of false pregnancy (around 60 days, when she would be having pups). Might check when the heat was...
brenda

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:43 pm

Birdy 3412,
My French Britts weigh 32-38 lbs. Every dog is different metabolically. Two of mine are living on 1 cup of food a day
with plenty of exercise. Condition wise they look like mid season form. One of these was a finicky eater. I reduced the amount of food served up & now he eats like he wants it.
The advice above about feed once a day is good. If she is eating 1 1/2 cups / day that may be all she needs.
Some dogs are just not "chowhounds" & some are. My 3 rd dog is slightly larger in the frame of his body & requires about 1 1/2 cups / day. The amount of food also varies with quality. If the Pointer is content, vibrant, healthy just feed her what she eats then take it away for / till the next feeding.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:17 pm

1 1/2 cups of a high quality food sounds about right for a dog that size. The more things you mix in for a naturally finicky dog the worse the problems becomes. I give him raw food every day but only after he eats his dry.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Thanks for all the replys. I bought some of the cheap pedigree pouches, you know chicken and gravy and such. Anyway I have been mixing in with 2 cups of her normal feed and she has eaten every drop for the last 4 evenings. So maybe she just doesnt like the feed (Red Flannel Prime).