Too skinny? worried

EPCO

Too skinny? worried

Post by EPCO » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:36 am

10 weeks old, 16 lbs. I am feeding him 1.5 cups a day of the Kirklands/Diamond chicken and rice adult.

http://www.diamondpet.com/products/diam ... g_formula/

He looks pretty skinny, should I feed him more? I don't want him to grow too fast though.

When I took him in for his 8 week exam the vet said he looks healthy, but wants me to put him on a puppy food. She likes Iams.

EPCO

Re: Too skinny? worried

Post by EPCO » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:40 am

side view

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:44 am

Your side view pic didn't come through. Is he a Lab? I'll also ask when this pic was taken? Pups can look awfully different right before and after a meal.

**Nevermind, after my post came up, the pic was there. Looks okay to me. Some of the American field bred lines are somewhat long and lanky, especially compared with the English lines. 16lb's @ 10 wks doesn't sound small to me at all. What build were his sire and dam? There are labs that mature into a 50lb. dog, and labs that will go near or over 100 lbs. FWIW

I'm one of those who thinks it's hard to overfeed a puppy. Of course there are exceptions.
Last edited by daniel77 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:48 am

That dog is a little skinny. Those hip bones should be barely visible.

Wait from the side pic he doesn't look so skinny LOL, but I would feed him more anyway. Let him eat till he shows the first signs of being full. Probably 2.5 cups is enough per day.

EPCO

Post by EPCO » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:45 pm

Thank you. More it is. At least for now. His parents are 75-80 lbs.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:53 pm

feed 2 or 3 times a day at each time till he just starts to act full...you will pick-up the body language..i bet the whole day's ration is about 2.5 cups.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:32 pm

If your pup is a little thinner than you like increase his feed SLIGHTLY. Make small adjustments as the pup grows or you see a difference in conditioning. Thats what they call animal husbandry. Let your dog tell you what or how much you need to feed and not the bag. No one can tell you how much to feed except your dog.' By the way, you can't tell much from pictures but the pup doesn't look bad I didn't think. Of course I like to see them on the slim side while growing.
'
Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:27 pm

Costco has 20# bags of Kirkland Chicken/Rice Puppy food. I agree with the others feed more food but watch out for loose stools. If his stools get loose or soft then cut back on the food each meal by 1/4 cup. A thin pup is much healthier than a rolly polly pup. Much healthier on joints as they grow.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Feed him a handful of raw hamburger for a week. I bet you will be surprised how fast he ill look better.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:05 pm

At about the age of your pup most pups get very lanky looking. There is more harm in overfeeding than underfeeding a pup. That is not to say that you can or should starve a pup. Gradually increase the food amount - by the time he is 5 mos. he may be eating 5 cups a day as the growth spurt is at the max. If he is looking a little "smooth" cut the feed back.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:15 pm

I fed Diamond Natural Exteme Athlete about 2 years ago for a while. I could not get weight on my dogs with it.

allaboutourdogs

Post by allaboutourdogs » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:08 pm

Skinny for me. Feed him more please. Also, consult your vet and ask if his built is normal. Your lab is cute, by the way. :)
I love Alex, the best German Shepherd dog I've ever had... :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:02 pm

allaboutourdogs wrote:Skinny for me. Feed him more please. Also, consult your vet and ask if his built is normal. Your lab is cute, by the way. :)

This thread dates back several months so I am sure the pup looks completely different today than when the picture was taken. I can't agree with taking a dog to the vet to see if his build is normal for several reasons. First the vet probably doesn't know. Second, I wouldn't take a pup into a vets office and expose it to everydisease that has walked through their door. And thirdly, the pup looks ok and I am assumong the person who bought it saw the parents and that will tell you pretty much what the pup will look like. No point in spending money for no good reason and probably do a lot more har than good.

JMO

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:33 pm

EPCO,

What does your dog look like today? Update please.

fordman

Post by fordman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:41 am

looks fine too me unlike most fat overfeed labs. 8)

allaboutourdogs

Post by allaboutourdogs » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:48 pm

MikeB wrote:EPCO,

What does your dog look like today? Update please.

I'm also interested on what the dog looks like now. I hope Epco can post the latest picture.
I love Alex, the best German Shepherd dog I've ever had... :)

EPCO

Post by EPCO » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:34 am

6 mos old and doing great. I increased his feed a bit and still feeding Diamond. I like the food. Stools are normal and his coat is beautiful. Now if I can just get him to come to me with the birds...........

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:50 am

Teach him to Come/Here with birds using a check cord on him. At this age it's all about YOU having control of him so he can't make a mistake.