What dog food are you using currently?

bwjohn

Re: What dog food are you using currently?

Post by bwjohn » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:06 am

rkappes,
if you are interested in orijen, I suggest looking at the Acana line of products. I feed the Pacifica. It is the same company as Orijen (Champion). But I moved within the past year and Orijen was $15 more a bag at my current place as opposed to before so I switched to the Acana. I can not tell a difference at all, if anything I like the Acana a little better.

brandon

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:23 am

bwjohn wrote:rkappes,
if you are interested in orijen, I suggest looking at the Acana line of products. I feed the Pacifica. It is the same company as Orijen (Champion). But I moved within the past year and Orijen was $15 more a bag at my current place as opposed to before so I switched to the Acana. I can not tell a difference at all, if anything I like the Acana a little better.

brandon
Its just the opposite near me Acana is a few bucks more.

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:55 am

I feed mine Pro-Plan. I have tried in the past to switch over to Diamond, but loose stools were a big problem so I went back to Pro Plan.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:47 am

mcbosco wrote:
bwjohn wrote:rkappes,

brandon
Its just the opposite near me Acana is a few bucks more.
Acana is more than Orijen? Now that is different.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:56 am

big steve46 wrote:I'm sure many dogs do well on Dad's as they do on Ol'Roy, but in this day and age, I would rather have a feed with some sort of meat product as the first ingredient. Ground Yellow Corn is fine, but not as the first ingredient unless you have say three good meat ingredients after it.
How about settling for two? Got to remember that list tells you very little about how much animal or vegetable ingredients in total are in feed. I also like to see a meat protein ingredient listed first but there are some excellent feeds with Corn as a first ingredient too. I can explain how that happens but have done it in the past and it really doesn't seem to register when people have a pre-concieved idea that the list tells them the quality of a feed.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:25 pm

Acana is more than Orijen? Now that is different.
I thought so too. Where I get Orijen, Acana is $12-14 less per bag. But, NJ is backwards on a lot of things. :lol:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:51 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
big steve46 wrote:I'm sure many dogs do well on Dad's as they do on Ol'Roy, but in this day and age, I would rather have a feed with some sort of meat product as the first ingredient. Ground Yellow Corn is fine, but not as the first ingredient unless you have say three good meat ingredients after it.
How about settling for two? Got to remember that list tells you very little about how much animal or vegetable ingredients in total are in feed. I also like to see a meat protein ingredient listed first but there are some excellent feeds with Corn as a first ingredient too. I can explain how that happens but have done it in the past and it really doesn't seem to register when people have a pre-concieved idea that the list tells them the quality of a feed.

Ezzy

It is certainly possible that when corn is #1 and there are a series of meat-based ingredients following, that these add up to more than the corn. I think we all know that is theoretcially possible but its rare in practice.

There are many foods that tell you the amount of protein from animal sources vs plant and where the calories come from but this is rare too. Perhaps, the labelling requirements should be more strict and more rational.

That way the big three can come clean on where the protein comes from, especially Purina.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:26 pm

mcbosco wrote:Perhaps, the labelling requirements should be more strict and more rational.

That way the big three can come clean on where the protein comes from, especially Purina.
And what would that do for you? As long as the major amino acids are there in a proper balance from foods that the digestive system can break down what does it matter the source? Some companies have put a lot of research into finding what works and what doesn't at a reasonable cost to the consumer. Other companies play on misconstrued emotions to market a food that may or may not work and others fill a bag with "stuff" for $10. The latter two aren't worth spending money on.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:27 pm

jlp8cornell,
have you tried the Acana? I really like it and my boy does great on it. I actually had to cut back on his food with the Acana, so not only is it cheaper, but I feed less of it. I couldn't be happier that I switched.

brandon

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:02 pm

jlp8cornell,
have you tried the Acana? I really like it and my boy does great on it. I actually had to cut back on his food with the Acana, so not only is it cheaper, but I feed less of it. I couldn't be happier that I switched.

brandon
Brandon: I have not. Just curious-- why did you switch? What is the kcal/cup. Wondering how you are feeding less.....
Jen

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:34 pm

I switched b/c of the price increase. When I moved from VT to UT the price went up about $15 a bag. I just had to draw the line. I was really excited to find the Acana.

Can not really explain the feeding less, Orijen has more kcals/cup. But for some reason my dog really started gaining wait on the Acana, so I cut him back and he is doing fine.

brandon

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:04 pm

Brandon- Check your PM....

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:47 pm

mcbosco wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy

It is certainly possible that when corn is #1 and there are a series of meat-based ingredients following, that these add up to more than the corn. I think we all know that is theoretcially possible but its rare in practice.

There are many foods that tell you the amount of protein from animal sources vs plant and where the calories come from but this is rare too. Perhaps, the labelling requirements should be more strict and more rational.

From what you have posted over the past year or so you have no experience and little knowledge of what most companies do or why. You post the same points that so many do that have never worked in a manufacturing plant, have never studied nutrition, and have fed a few dogs that are largely pets. You have the freedom to express your opinion and I will stick up for your right to do that. But it would be nice to address things from that viewpoint and not try to tell everyone how companies manufacture their feed, how the nutritionist formulate it or why they use the ingredients they do.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:35 pm

All my inexpensive dog foods I was using and just adding lard to priced me out of them so I went back to Pedigree and the dogs do fantastic on it without any additives. At $21.50 a bag and sales of $19 a bag I can afford to feed 4 dogs on it so I will stick with it till someone messes with that too then I will find another brand.

bossman

Post by bossman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:35 pm

Feeding National Performance. Dog's do great, clean up best it's ever been. Had dog's to the vet last week, said they were looking great. But I'm breaking one of the covenant's of buying dog food...I can afford it, dog's doing great, but not exactly convenient. I'm having it shipped from Kansas City (I'm in North Texas)..Well as Meatloaf said a long time ago "two out of three ain't bad" (anyone remember Meatloaf ??)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:43 am

Gotta luv a food with Pork Fat, Abady uses Pork Fat as well.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:06 pm

Big Dave wrote:PMI Red Flannel, Prime forumula. I want a cost effective feed that is easily obtainable, I live in a rural area that limits my choices.
Same here. Price has went up a little, it was $20 when I started feeding it and now it is $25.(but I like getting the free bag of feed) My dogs do good on it, but if the price keeps going up I would consider switching.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:20 pm

My trainer has really gotten excited about a feed that Akrat is producing called Enhance. I believe they are endorsed by Ducks Unlimited or something. They have several different formulas depending on your needs. Says it is the best thing he has seen around, especially considering the cost bar none. I believe I am paying $25 for 50lbs. I am giving it a shot per his suggestion and using the Hunter's Edge forumla which I think is a 24/18 forumla with really good results so far. Good stools, good coats, not having to feed a whole lot though it is summer. I will stay on it until I have my dogs hunting 3 days a week this winter and then will bump it up to a hotter formula.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:48 am

romeo212000 wrote:My trainer has really gotten excited about a feed that Akrat is producing called Enhance. I believe they are endorsed by Ducks Unlimited or something. They have several different formulas depending on your needs. Says it is the best thing he has seen around, especially considering the cost bar none. I believe I am paying $25 for 50lbs. I am giving it a shot per his suggestion and using the Hunter's Edge forumla which I think is a 24/18 forumla with really good results so far. Good stools, good coats, not having to feed a whole lot though it is summer. I will stay on it until I have my dogs hunting 3 days a week this winter and then will bump it up to a hotter formula.
A Spinone breeder in PA that I know pretty well is a distributor of that line. He likes it.

tthaden

Post by tthaden » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:33 am

I use Country Vet Pet Food. I am using their new Sportsman Select 24/20 on all my dogs, just vary the amount to the amount of training. Sonny has been primarily on Country Vet since 5 months. All of my dogs do and look great on it. Less stool and firm. On my pups, I am using their Dog Fuel Large Breed Puppy which is a 28/16. Pups are full of energy, growing well, and not much cleanup. At a value as well. I get 50# Sportsman Select for $20 and the Puppy for about $30 for 44#. I have my National Champion using it and will continue to. Just plain great nutrition at a value price. www.countryvetpetfoods.com Sonny is my avatar dog.
2009 GSPCA NATIONAL ALL AGE CHAMPION
2009 GSPCA Open All Age Dog Of The Year
3 1/2 years Old
OFA... GOOD

http://www.onpointkennelsgsp.com

NFC FC On Points Son Of The Max http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2452

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:17 pm

Well got mine half on Sam's Exceed and half on Diamond Extreme Athelete. So far so good, no loose stools, normal amount and I think they may be putting on a little weight.
Hard to tell yet.

Anything that doesn't turn my male pointers bowels inside out is a good thing, and so far so good with the Diamond EA.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

allaboutourdogs

Post by allaboutourdogs » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:36 pm

I feed my GSD with 2 dog foods: Loyall Active Adult 26/19 and Sportmix energy plus 24/20. It's good to mix two kinds of the best dog foods that I've tried because the combination gives them more nutrients.
I love Alex, the best German Shepherd dog I've ever had... :)

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:55 pm

Birddog1968,
You are correct sir, thank you. 29/44
RGD/Dave

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:30 am

Native level 2 in the off season
Level 3 and 4 during the winter and hunting season.

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:36 pm

While Bella, my 6 month old lab, was doing her puppy training at the trainers she was being fed Loyall puppy formula 31/20. I bought a bag of that and when she is done I will be switching her to the Loyall active adult.

I was feeding her the Kirkland Signature chicken and rice adult dog food when I first got her, and she was having horrible stool problems. Since the trainers feed Loyall exclusively I bought what they were feeding. No other reason than that. Very scientific :D

Since she has come back I have not had any stool problems with her. Cleanup has been a pleasure.

From what others have said on this forum the Costco dog food is a better dog food based on the ingredient list and the price can't be beat for the quality you get. However, no one told my dog. She does great on the Loyall. Her energy is good, her coat is great. The only negative is the price. But if the dog is happy then I'm happy.

-Hondo

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:10 am

Loyall Active Adult......all year round

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:37 am

AM is raw diet (rotate between chicken,turkey, rabbit, vennison, beef etc) and pm-Eukanuba Premium Performance.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:36 am

Hondo
Are you feeding the same amount per meal/day of Loyal Puppy as you were the Kirkland C/R?

fordman

Post by fordman » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:53 pm

Enhance Pro Athlete.

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:16 pm

MikeB wrote:Hondo
Are you feeding the same amount per meal/day of Loyal Puppy as you were the Kirkland C/R?
I feed her 3 cups a day of the Loyall puppy food. When I was feeding the Kirkland I was free feeding her so I couldn't give you and accurate amount as to what she was eating per day. I would estimate I put 6 cups of food a day in her bowl in the morning.

It seems to me that she doesn't need to eat as much Loyall as she did Kirkland. I'm assuming this is because the Loyall puppy has a higher protein/fat % than the Kirkland.

I didn't know much about dog nutrition. While my dog was at the trainers for 6 weeks I read a lot on food/feeding. And my trainers also educated me. They switched her to Loyall which I continue to use and they told me to feed her measured amounts, so that I had more control over her food intake. Plus, it would alert me to any health problems since I would be able to tell if she was/wasn't eating.

Hondo

jiml

Post by jiml » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:59 pm

many times stool problems are from overfeeding. not to say that was the prob but it is a possibility.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:26 pm

feeding Iams maintenance to all the dogs, 3 of which are just pets. i have a gravity flow feeder they all eat out of. started buying Loyall every other bag to cut the cost a bit, but noticed that they went thru a bag of the Loyall alot faster than the Iams. So, its just Iams now.

Odin

Post by Odin » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:35 am

Orijen regional red. Have only had the dog on this food for 3/4 of a bag and it is an amazing feed. Dog looks awesome. Pretty pricey though at $90 a bag
Take what you want, and pay for it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:39 pm

Dont think I could handle $90 a bag so am really glad all of mine look awesome on $22 for 50 pound bag dog food.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:31 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Dont think I could handle $90 a bag so am really glad all of mine look awesome on $22 for 50 pound bag dog food.

Ezzy
Ezzy, that is $90 for 28lbs. :roll:

Odin

Post by Odin » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:36 pm

:D That's with taxes in lol! Once I get him up to the weight I want, and after hunting season, I'll have to see what it actually costs per feeding, hope it's not to bad, they suggest a portion of 2 cups a day for his weight
Take what you want, and pay for it.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:01 pm

If you have a hard keeper and live in a cold area, then try a sled dog kibble if you need to. They are a comparative bargain.

kumate

Post by kumate » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:42 pm

It is taking 3 cups of orijen 6 fish to hold dante at 48-49lbs. calorie wise prob about the same as the abady with 2 cups. His stool is much more consistant with the orijen

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:52 am

Abady Basic Maintenance 31/28 (876 cals per cup)
A good bird dog is always the right color

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:19 pm

dog dr wrote:feeding Iams maintenance to all the dogs, 3 of which are just pets. i have a gravity flow feeder they all eat out of. started buying Loyall every other bag to cut the cost a bit, but noticed that they went thru a bag of the Loyall alot faster than the Iams. So, its just Iams now.

Perhaps the dogs immensely enjoyed a better feed? Perhaps, they could be maintained with less Loyall, although with the gravity feeder, that would be difficult. If your dogs were Setters, they would be smart enough not to gorge! :lol:
big steve

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:51 am

big steve46 wrote:
dog dr wrote:feeding Iams maintenance to all the dogs, 3 of which are just pets. i have a gravity flow feeder they all eat out of. started buying Loyall every other bag to cut the cost a bit, but noticed that they went thru a bag of the Loyall alot faster than the Iams. So, its just Iams now.

Perhaps the dogs immensely enjoyed a better feed? Perhaps, they could be maintained with less Loyall, although with the gravity feeder, that would be difficult. If your dogs were Setters, they would be smart enough not to gorge! :lol:

yeah, the gravity flow feeder definitely contributes to greater feed use, I am sure. but for my set-up and schedule (and inherit laziness) it works awesome. i only have one dog that is overweight, but she has been that way since she was a pup. she was the lone survivor of the litter and had the whole buffet to herself!

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:30 am

I feed my Setter every three days, and he doesn't overeat, but looks great and has lots of energy. It's easier to free feed with only one dog in the pen also.
big steve

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:48 am

As an update to my last post....dogs have been on diamond Extreme Athelete now for a couple weeks,
The all made the transition smoothly (which is amazing to me knowing my one dog) but 4 of them are doing well and look great....nice stools and not anymore of it as compared to Exceed.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Gundog

Post by Gundog » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:15 pm

We had EVO Chicken, EVO Beef, ACANA Praire and now we feed him Fromm surf and Turf grain free dryfood. I think we gonna switch to Raw diet after summer or at least 50% dryfood / 50% raw diet.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:48 pm

I just had to make another chime on the Loyall Dog food

I have had now 2 females on that food for the entire gestation and whelping
Average brittany and even setter pups are about 9-10 OZ at whelp.

Last litter my older Mollie her pups were all 12-13 oz she had 5 pups
this last litter my young Bailey had she had 7 pups her first litter which the smallest pup was 12.3 oz and the biggest pup was 14.5 oz all strong ...Both of the female were fed the Loyall Performance blend...What this tells me there the quality of ingredients and how they are processed is pretty good as there was plenty for the mother and the pups she had a nice healthy weight coat stayed good and the pups are all active and solid feeling
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:32 pm

Gundog wrote:We had EVO Chicken, EVO Beef, ACANA Praire and now we feed him Fromm surf and Turf grain free dryfood. I think we gonna switch to Raw diet after summer or at least 50% dryfood / 50% raw diet.
Gundog, welcome to the forum! IMO, feeding raw is fine if that is what you want to do. Just make sure you know what you are doing so your dog gets all the proper nutrients. I think it is a some what complicated thing to do, but I know some people swear by it. I like feeding a good commercial food because I know my dogs are getting a balanced diet and again, IMO, grain is a good thing.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Gundog

Post by Gundog » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:03 pm

I know exactly what i'm doing. And to make sure he gets all the nutrition and protein he needs I'm maybe gonna feed him 50% raw + 50% dry. Well see... For those who don't know how to feed a raw diet, there are a few companys that sell meat that is allready mixed with fruits, veggies and all that stuff a dog needs.

I don't think that grain is thaaaaaaat bad but I don't really think that a dog needs it. Some people may have forgotten that dogs are meat eater.

God my english really sucks, sorry for that :roll:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:21 pm

Gundog wrote:I know exactly what i'm doing. And to make sure he gets all the nutrition and protein he needs I'm maybe gonna feed him 50% raw + 50% dry. Well see... For those who don't know how to feed a raw diet, there are a few companys that sell meat that is allready mixed with fruits, veggies and all that stuff a dog needs.

I don't think that grain is thaaaaaaat bad but I don't really think that a dog needs it. Some people may have forgotten that dogs are meat eater.

I am with you brother. This is the best complete raw I have found. You can find it through any Omas Pride dealer.

http://tefcotripe.com/pd.html

It is a good deal and has plenty of tripe in it.

Gundog

Post by Gundog » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:31 pm

The brother is a sister :mrgreen:

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:36 pm

mcbosco wrote:
Gundog wrote:I know exactly what i'm doing. And to make sure he gets all the nutrition and protein he needs I'm maybe gonna feed him 50% raw + 50% dry. Well see... For those who don't know how to feed a raw diet, there are a few companys that sell meat that is allready mixed with fruits, veggies and all that stuff a dog needs.

I am with you brother. This is the best complete raw I have found. You can find it through any Omas Pride dealer.

http://tefcotripe.com/pd.html

It is a good deal and has plenty of tripe in it.

Price / Pound???

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno