What dog food are you using currently?

1vizsla

Re: What dog food are you using currently?

Post by 1vizsla » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:00 pm

TSC's 4 health.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:30 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
ckirsch wrote: Sometimes I think we get too wrapped up in dog food. I probably spend more time monitoring my dog's diet than my own, but then again, my anal glands have never been impacted. That might be a game-changer for me. :wink:

You got this right! And whats worse is most of us have no idea what is good in a food or what a dog eats naturally. When you start looking for a food without grain as an example, is hard to explain when the grain is there to make the food a better well balanced feed and is something all dogs will eat if given a chance. Dogs love corn, it provides the carbs they need, and is so easily digested that you don't find it in the scat of coyotes or dogs. And you might be hard pressed to connect the formula of a food to the anal glands of your dog. You can possibly say the firmness of the stool has an effect but firmness of the stool is connected more to how much they eat than what they eat many times.

Just some thoughts

Ezzy
+1 $3.00 a pound for dog feed? U gotta be kidding! U also need to start giving them bottled water :P god help them if they drink out of a cattle tank when they hunt on a hot day.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:56 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
ckirsch wrote: Sometimes I think we get too wrapped up in dog food. I probably spend more time monitoring my dog's diet than my own, but then again, my anal glands have never been impacted. That might be a game-changer for me. :wink:

You got this right! And whats worse is most of us have no idea what is good in a food or what a dog eats naturally. When you start looking for a food without grain as an example, is hard to explain when the grain is there to make the food a better well balanced feed and is something all dogs will eat if given a chance. Dogs love corn, it provides the carbs they need, and is so easily digested that you don't find it in the scat of coyotes or dogs. And you might be hard pressed to connect the formula of a food to the anal glands of your dog. You can possibly say the firmness of the stool has an effect but firmness of the stool is connected more to how much they eat than what they eat many times.

Just some thoughts

Ezzy

+1 $3.00 a pound for dog feed? U gotta be kidding! U also need to start giving them bottled water :P god help them if they drink out of a cattle tank when they hunt on a hot day.

You gotta luv some of the comments. "Dogs love corn" Do they like corn better than fresh beef or pork kidney or beef hearts?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:16 pm

MonsterDad wrote:[

You gotta luv some of the comments. "Dogs love corn" Do they like corn better than fresh beef or pork kidney or beef hearts?
No real need to love any comment but there are many that if you listen to them could help you understand more about dog food. Save the love for your honey and feed your dog whatever you like. Guess you just aren't old enough to remember what dogs ate before we had manufactured feed.

Just for your info kids like candy better than broccoli but most of us know what they should eat to be healthy.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

azquailhntr

Post by azquailhntr » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:17 pm

The kind they eat. For me that's Purina Pro Plan

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:21 am

birddog1968 wrote:Well got mine half on Sam's Exceed and half on Diamond Extreme Athelete. So far so good, no loose stools, normal amount and I think they may be putting on a little weight.
Hard to tell yet.

Anything that doesn't turn my male pointers bowels inside out is a good thing, and so far so good with the Diamond EA.
I go qwith the EXceed also- both dogs look very good on it and I can afford it.

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:57 am

The Pride Pro Series 26/20 Chicken Protein & Rice
Like Christmas and the flu, sometimes more than once per year is too much.

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:39 pm

1vizsla wrote:TSC's 4 health.
We just switched our GWP/Lab to 4health Performance food, from Diamond Extreme Athlete. She was having really dry itchy skin, dandruff, and throwing up, so the vet said to try switching foods. So far it's helped the vomiting part at least, but we're only a week in, so she's just now getting the new stuff straight.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:59 pm

Cutty 72

I would highly recommend you give PROZYME digestive aid a try for 30 to 60 days. I think you will see a huge difference in your dogs conditon. http://www.prozymeproducts.com

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:28 am

I have tried many different popular feeds through the last 8 years and I have as good or even possibly the best results ever with what I currently feed, Sportmix Premium. This is one of the lesser expensive feeds I have tried as well.

scott townsend

Post by scott townsend » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Dr Tim's . Momentum for the trial dogs and Pursuit for all the others.

kumate

Post by kumate » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:29 pm

Dr Tims Momentum

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Cutty72... We have used it for about 3 months now and they are doing just as good as when we fed Taste of the Wild or Wellness. It definitely is a lot cheaper. People are always complimenting us on Kindle's shiny coat too. so I think we are going to stick with it a while.

Carla

magspa

Post by magspa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:30 am

Tractor supply 4health

frontline

Post by frontline » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:36 pm

cutty72 wrote:
We just switched our GWP/Lab to 4health Performance food, from Diamond Extreme Athlete. She was having really dry itchy skin, dandruff, and throwing up, so the vet said to try switching foods. So far it's helped the vomiting part at least, but we're only a week in, so she's just now getting the new stuff straight.
4health is made by Diamond so the switch you made might not make a big difference. I would switch to something manufactured by a different company (different premix, sourcing etc.).

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:52 pm

frontline wrote:
cutty72 wrote:
4health is made by Diamond so the switch you made might not make a big difference. I would switch to something manufactured by a different company (different premix, sourcing etc.).
When you contract a manufacturer you provide the ingredients or at least specify what is to be used. Different feeds fron the same mill will probably have different ingredients. However, it would be odd to see much difference in the dogs coat because of a feed switch with in 2 or 3 months.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

terrym

Post by terrym » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:01 pm

I started out on Purina PP with my Britt and he never did well on it. Have switched to Acana Grasslands and he is doing fabulous with it. It's not cheap but I only have one dog to feed so not a big deal really. I also give him meat scraps and the odd bowl of venison.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:17 pm

I'm on my third large bag of Red Paw 32K for my english setter. I'm sold on this food. I was out running my dogs on grouse and woodcock this weekend and my dog's stamina was impressive for this time of the year and with the temps. My dog seemed to run cooler.

armand

Post by armand » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:06 pm

OL'ROY kibbles chunks& chews beef &chicken they eat it right up $20,48 40 pound bag.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:03 pm

Acana Singles (Duck and Bartlett Pear formula) for the lower protein content (25%). My guy was growing too fast on higher protein (30%) and started knuckling over a bit in the front legs. The lower protein formula is straightening him out now.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Whichever Victor feed is in the red bag. It's a 24/20.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...