What dog food are you using currently?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: What dog food are you using currently?

Post by mcbosco » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:48 pm

I am near the company so I get it for about $1.4 per pound, but I don't feed is solely. It is a good deal compared to other raw completes but by no means cheap. Natures Variety is over $3 per pound. I partially thaw it and then cut into disks.

I have been getting whole fresh tripes lately for about 50 cents a lb, but they have to be chopped and then bagged.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Gundog wrote:The brother is a sister :mrgreen:
sorry :oops:

Gundog

Post by Gundog » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:47 pm

No Problem :D

Natures variety is really pricey but Matt tried it and he loved it. My boss (she offers dog food at her store) gave me a sample pack. He really loved it but I guess he likes everything as long as I put it in his bowl :roll:

Some of our customers feed their dogs north west naturals. There are a few companys that offer really good raw diet but they are all not cheap. That's why i wanna do that 50/50 thing. A friend of mine feed her dogs 50% raw and 50% tofu. I never tried that and I have no idea where to get that over here so.... :mrgreen:

Those are all companys I know that offer raw diet + information:

Stella & Chewy’s ingredient labels read like a “who’s who” of wholesome, healthystuff. Like raw, USDA-inspected, naturally-raised poultry and meat. Organic fruits and vegetables such as cranberries, spinach, broccoli and beets. Healthful, direct-fed microbials. Plus essential vitamins and minerals. And for your complete peace of mind, every ingredient is sourced from reputable United States suppliers. What you won’t see are any of the usual suspects, like grain, fillers, artificial preservatives, colorings, added hormones or antibiotics. They don’t even add sugar or salt!
Northwest Naturals uses only USDA inspected ingredients and is 100% grain free. The food is manufactured in a quality controlled USDA human food inspected facility. Northwest Naturals™ is a food that is developed and manufactured by a team that has 15 years of experience in raw natural pet-food manufacturing, and backed by a 53 year old meat processing company. They use fresh ground bone for an organic calcium source and utilize a unique flash freezing to preserve the integrity of the nutrients. The food is formed into small cubes which make it convenient and easy to use.
Primal dog food is produced using only the freshest, 100% human-grade ingredients. Their poultry, meat and game are antibiotic and steroid free without added hormones. They incorporate certified organic produce, certified organic minerals and unrefined vitamins to fortify our complete and balanced diets. All Primal Formulas contain fresh ground bone for calcium supplementation. This combination of ingredients offers optimum levels of the amino acids (protein), essential fatty acids, natural-occurring enzymes, and necessary vitamins and minerals that are the building blocks for your dog's healthy biological functions.
Bravo! offers the industry’s widest range of top quality products formulated to give your pet a happier, healthier, longer life. They offer vegetable-free formulas of premium meat and ground bones - or meat, bone and organ meat combinations – in a wide variety of protein types that let you create a custom raw diet. Simply add the supplements and other ingredients you want to feed your pet.
Nature's Variety offers complete and balanced, ready to serve raw diets for dogs. Our Raw Frozen Diets lead the industry as the first to be scientifically substantiated through AAFCO Protocol Feeding Trials. Thier foods are 100% free of corn, wheat, soy, chemical preservatives, and artificial colors & flavors. Each diet is rich in meat, poultry or fish proteins to give your pets everything they need for a long and happy life with you.
Companion is dedication producing a quality, raw, grain-free, natural pet food made available to pet owners interested in using diet and nutrition to improve and maintain their pet’s health. Companion works with Animal Nutritionist to ensure that the accepted nutritional profiles for dogs, as determined by the Association of Animal Feed Control Officials, were met or exceeded in each of their diets. The company name is based on the belief in mind that our pets are our truest companions and are deserved of a healthy long life.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Might have to try some, anything extra I do for my male dog shows.

He will drop weight easy with just about any stress,will still hunt hard just gets to lookin like a garden rake :D This EA food is really making a difference.....and he gets salmon oil tabs couple times a week, seems to help with his shedding.

I always kinda chukle tho, cause back in the day we had all the dogs on Ole Roy :oops: but never had issues and last couple (that I remember clearly) lived to the 15-16 range, labs and gsp's.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:21 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Might have to try some, anything extra I do for my male dog shows.

He will drop weight easy with just about any stress,will still hunt hard just gets to lookin like a garden rake :D This EA food is really making a difference.....and he gets salmon oil tabs couple times a week, seems to help with his shedding.

I always kinda chukle tho, cause back in the day we had all the dogs on Ole Roy :oops: but never had issues and last couple (that I remember clearly) lived to the 15-16 range, labs and gsp's.
Bravo Balance is a pretty good deal. That is a complete diet. Bravo also sells raw grinds, the whole chicken except the feathers, for example, in 10lbs logs that are pretty cheap. For me, if I had to pick one raw food to add to kibble it would be green tripe, hands down. It stinks like a road kill soaked in cat poop but you have never seen a dog light up when they knows it coming. Deer season is coming so just show up when they are processing and take it for nothing. Cut it open, rinse in cold water, chop it and then into zip lock bags. You can find it at small slaughter houses or ranches for almost nothing. They keep it because dog owners want it. Tripe is one of a few raw products that is pretty benign as far as balance goes. High protein but calcium and phosphorous are balanced, high fat, natural enzymes and lactic bacteria. Muscle meat is far more expensive and offers little compared to green tripe. Cow, goat, lamb, deer take whatever is out there. If you can find a Halal butcher you can get lamb and goat tripe easily.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:57 am

Gundog wrote:The brother is a sister :mrgreen:
That right there is some funny stuff.............gotta love a little comic relief in the ole dog food threads..ha ha good stuff.

redman25

Post by redman25 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:48 am

I just started my 8 week old GSP on Canidae lamb and rice. The pup loves it and his energy level increased exponetially within the first day of starting him on it, which has it's downside too :lol: . It's about a dollar per pound, so it's a little pricey, but not bad when only feeding 1 dog. 457 Kcal/cup. They also have a program which gives you a free bag if you use 12 35 lb bags per 12 months, so that helps a little if you're feeding multiple dogs. I can't see myself going through enough food to benefit from that with just the one dog. Full nutritional information on their website, and feed cost calculator.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:21 am

birddog1968 wrote:As an update to my last post....dogs have been on diamond Extreme Athelete now for a couple weeks,
The all made the transition smoothly (which is amazing to me knowing my one dog) but 4 of them are doing well and look great....nice stools and not anymore of it as compared to Exceed.
I started switching my dogs to Diamond Extreme Athlete from Diamond Performance, which the get fed year round, this past weekend. I made the switch because as trial season and hunting season are here my dogs are getting more active and I had to increase their food intake to maintain their weight. Right now I'm still fooling around with the proper amount to feed, but it is definitely less than Diamond Performance. It is pricier than Diamond Performance, but so far I like the results. I need to give a full bag a try before I make any determinations as to whether the switch is working.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:45 am

Redman25, If you were to feed the 4 meat protein ALS it comes in 44# bags. Probably a better deal in te long run. Same 12 bag offier applies.

redman25

Post by redman25 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:09 pm

MikeB wrote:Redman25, If you were to feed the 4 meat protein ALS it comes in 44# bags. Probably a better deal in te long run. Same 12 bag offier applies.
Yeah, I normally do a better job of researching things. I knew I could get the all life stages in 44 lb bag, and I now see that it also has a higher fat and protein content which would likely be better nutritionally for my young pup. I've already made the investment now though. ALS will be my next buy for sure. Thanks

kj

Post by kj » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:43 am

bigshooter/Mark,

Have you noticed a difference in the Nutro Natural Choice High Energy since Mars bought Nutro around a year ago? I was feeding it off and on and stopped when Mars started increasing prices and slightly modifying the formulas - I didn't stick around to see if the forumula changes had a negative impact on the dogs.

Thanks,

KJ

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:09 pm

Gundog wrote:I know exactly what i'm doing. And to make sure he gets all the nutrition and protein he needs I'm maybe gonna feed him 50% raw + 50% dry. Well see... For those who don't know how to feed a raw diet, there are a few companys that sell meat that is allready mixed with fruits, veggies and all that stuff a dog needs.

I don't think that grain is thaaaaaaat bad but I don't really think that a dog needs it. Some people may have forgotten that dogs are meat eater.

God my english really sucks, sorry for that :roll:
Question: Do you think fruits and veggies have an advantage over grain? Me personally, I would chose a small amount of grain over fruits and veggies, and that would included both raw and dry diets.
A good bird dog is always the right color

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:02 am

jlp8cornell wrote:
jlp8cornell wrote:I feed Orijen Adult.

Look back through the threads and you will find a wealth of information!

How do you like Orijen? We're thinking about starting our puppy on it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks much.
Love it.Both of my dogs look and do great on it. And they are different in age,size, etc. I highly recommend.. Easy to find and a great food. Of course some people feel they won't have the energy w/o the grains but I disagree.

So we made the switch to Orijen shortly after this post and fed for a couple months. Our dog loved it and did great with it. I was impressed with Orijen and how "good" it smelled, which sounds weird but it just smelled fresh and natural. It was looking like Orijen might end up getting a bit spendy at almost $70/bag, after tax. So we switched over to Taste of the Wild High Prairie formula, its about $20 cheaper per bag and she seems to love it and do good on it. Anyone else have any experience/input with Taste of the Wild? I noticed a lot of people on here feed Diamond and have good results, gets me thinking about using that since we can get it for around $20 at Fleet Farm for a 40lb bag. I definitely want to feed the best that we can afford but if we can get the same results with Diamond (at half the price) seems like a no=brainer. I also need to learn more about the grain vs grain free foods, I'll have to do some research on here.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:26 am

Orijen might end up getting a bit spendy at almost $70/bag, after tax
Wow! I get it for $54. TOTW is not much cheaper around here, maybe $10. I wouldn't pay $70 for a bag of food either! Where are you located? (Just saw, MN)

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:23 am

Since hunting season is coming up I was thinking about switching to EVO from eukanuba 30/20. I don’t think she will have a hard time running during hunting season but she has loose stool a few times a week which im not too happy about.

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:56 am

I'm in the process of switching my dog over to Diamond Extreme Athlete from Loyall High Peformance. The dog did well enough on the Loyall, other than shedding a lot and having chronic anal gland issues, so I thought I would try something with a higher fiber rating in hopes of avoiding future cavity searches for the poor guy. I also like the higher protein/fat numbers that the Diamond offers, and the fact that it has no corn or wheat. I looked at Loyall's Professional, looks like a good food, but still has the grain in it. The dog had loose stools the first week after I began mixing the Extreme Athlete in, but seems to be coming out of that now. I'll have to wait and see what he looks like at the end of this bag.

When I look at the dog food ratings sites, the only ones getting top reviews are those guaranteeing pure free-range swan breast meat, virgin salmon fillets, reindeer calf tenderloin, or some such thing, with no grain or "meal", and selling for three bucks a pound. The coyote piles I come across when hunting appear to be grain-free, but do include feathers, bone fragments, and deer hair, so it appears that "meal" works just fine for them.

Sometimes I think we get too wrapped up in dog food. I probably spend more time monitoring my dog's diet than my own, but then again, my anal glands have never been impacted. That might be a game-changer for me. :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:30 pm

ckirsch wrote: Sometimes I think we get too wrapped up in dog food. I probably spend more time monitoring my dog's diet than my own, but then again, my anal glands have never been impacted. That might be a game-changer for me. :wink:

You got this right! And whats worse is most of us have no idea what is good in a food or what a dog eats naturally. When you start looking for a food without grain as an example, is hard to explain when the grain is there to make the food a better well balanced feed and is something all dogs will eat if given a chance. Dogs love corn, it provides the carbs they need, and is so easily digested that you don't find it in the scat of coyotes or dogs. And you might be hard pressed to connect the formula of a food to the anal glands of your dog. You can possibly say the firmness of the stool has an effect but firmness of the stool is connected more to how much they eat than what they eat many times.

Just some thoughts

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:33 pm

ckirsch wrote:I'm in the process of switching my dog over to Diamond Extreme Athlete from Loyall High Peformance. The dog did well enough on the Loyall, other than shedding a lot and having chronic anal gland issues, so I thought I would try something with a higher fiber rating in hopes of avoiding future cavity searches for the poor guy. I also like the higher protein/fat numbers that the Diamond offers, and the fact that it has no corn or wheat. I looked at Loyall's Professional, looks like a good food, but still has the grain in it. The dog had loose stools the first week after I began mixing the Extreme Athlete in, but seems to be coming out of that now. I'll have to wait and see what he looks like at the end of this bag.

When I look at the dog food ratings sites, the only ones getting top reviews are those guaranteeing pure free-range swan breast meat, virgin salmon fillets, reindeer calf tenderloin, or some such thing, with no grain or "meal", and selling for three bucks a pound. The coyote piles I come across when hunting appear to be grain-free, but do include feathers, bone fragments, and deer hair, so it appears that "meal" works just fine for them.

Sometimes I think we get too wrapped up in dog food. I probably spend more time monitoring my dog's diet than my own, but then again, my anal glands have never been impacted. That might be a game-changer for me. :wink:

Sometimes less fiber works equally as well. The harder a dog works to deficate the greater the chance the muscles back there will drain those glands. You have to see what works, either a bigger stool pressing out or muscles pressing in. I have had several dogs live past 15, one to 19, and it becomes more of an issue as they age. In my case less fiber worked.

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:37 pm

Ezzy/MC

In your perspectives, all else being equal, isn't a higher protein / fat content a good thing? What is the scoop on grains? I read that they are a common cause of allergies and skin problems. Hard to know what to believe.......

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:54 pm

pro plan performance

but I have another dog up north on Native IV and that dogs coat is great and stool looks good.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks everyone for all your replies. Keep them coming. I never realized how many brands, types of feed there are.

As for myself, I am still feeding my dog Loyall Active Adult and I am very pleased with the results. My 10 month old lab's coat and weight are great. Her stools are good. She has ample energy and overall is in great health. She has great muscle definition. I actually find myself watching her move, so that I can enjoy watching her muscles ripple.

I wish I was as in as good as shape as my dog. It would make hunting much easier :D

-Hondo

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:22 pm

Innova evo red meat....... very nice! If the little dogs get the runs I give it to them and it firms it up. But I'm not spending that much on dogs that don't work.

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:21 pm

I am still feeding Loyall Active Adult to my almost 3 year old lab.

The price of the feed has gone up quite a bit, however I still plan on sticking with it since I only have 1 dog to feed.

I'm starting to wonder at what price point should I start to consider other feeds.

-Hondo

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Hondo wrote:I would like to know what dog foods fellow board members are feeding their dogs.

IThanks in advance,

Hondo
Pro Plan Senior + a joint supplement.Everyone is happy.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Adamdirk

Post by Adamdirk » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:51 am

I just made the switch from Pro plan performance to diamond naturals extreme athlete. my pup has having loose stool with ppp,but seems to be doing well so far.

mrtyde

Post by mrtyde » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:00 am

I am currently feeding ProPlan Performance. The dogs like it and they look great.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:27 am

Feeding Acana wild prairie with salmon oil on it and finally seeing a little weight come back. Not sure if it was a growth spurt or what but about 3 mo. ago when pup was about a yr. old she dropped a fair amount of weight and a bunch of hair in her tail fell out. Looking much better now although still only abou 33 lbs.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

yogi

Post by yogi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:10 pm

Native 3 good quality food. I have to buy it on the online. Its worth looking up. http://www.nativedogfood.com/

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:03 am

I have my two Vizsla pups on Black Gold Ultimate Puppy. I occasionally mix in some Innova puppy wet. As they get older will switch to the BG black bag and one of their high protein bags depending on time of year. They seem to do well on Black Gold and I can get it at a feed store for a fair price.

RyanGSP

Post by RyanGSP » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:53 pm

YOu guys feeding Orijen what is your price per bag?

I live in the province where they make the stuff and its still $69 for the adult food.

I tried Acana and it gave my dogs really really really bad gas.

Had them on Eukanuba and both did amazing until I could no longer find it around here so went to Horizon and Blue Buffalo. I have since switched to BB but at $67/30lbs I am looking at other options. Even the horizon is less than $50/30lbs so I may try it again.

I just hate feeding high filler foods. Its hard to get motivated to clean poop now, I cant imagine a high filler food.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:23 am

What's a higher filler food?

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:20 am

RyanGSP wrote:YOu guys feeding Orijen what is your price per bag?

I live in the province where they make the stuff and its still $69 for the adult food.

Had them on Eukanuba and both did amazing until I could no longer find it around here so went to Horizon and Blue Buffalo. I have since switched to BB but at $67/30lbs I am looking at other options. Even the horizon is less than $50/30lbs so I may try it again.

I just hate feeding high filler foods. Its hard to get motivated to clean poop now, I cant imagine a high filler food.
I was up at a trainer's kennel the other day and two dogs were brought in with their own food and blankeys I jokingly said to my self, has to be $90 for a 30 lb bag of food, I was wrong the price tag said $89.99. These dogs are on a string with a bunch of others of the same breed and size being fed a buy by the pallet kennel brand. When they are put out on the chain in the morning, they all poop and it was real hard to tell the $90 turds from the $30 turds.

I am currently feeding my dogs Pro Pac.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:38 am

Hondo wrote:Thanks everyone for all your replies. Keep them coming. I never realized how many brands, types of feed there are.

As for myself, I am still feeding my dog Loyall Active Adult and I am very pleased with the results. My 10 month old lab's coat and weight are great. Her stools are good. She has ample energy and overall is in great health. She has great muscle definition. I actually find myself watching her move, so that I can enjoy watching her muscles ripple.

I wish I was as in as good as shape as my dog. It would make hunting much easier :D

-Hondo
I started feeding Loyall Active Adult with good results and as prices increased, I switched to the Hi Performance with the same good results. I particullary like the way the condition of their teeth have improved.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:04 am

RyanGSP wrote:YOu guys feeding Orijen what is your price per bag?

$68.99 for Adult, $89.99 for Regional Red, $82.99 for Fish.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:18 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
Hondo wrote:Thanks everyone for all your replies. Keep them coming. I never realized how many brands, types of feed there are.

-Hondo
I started feeding Loyall Active Adult with good results and as prices increased, I switched to the Hi Performance with the same good results. I particullary like the way the condition of their teeth have improved.
Who makes the Hi Performance you are feeding your dogs?

Is there a link?

I would like a feed that helps keep the dogs teeth cleaner.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Loyall makes it good food but no better then some foods much cheaper.Close to a dollar a lb,it is here anyway. :)

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:23 pm

Hondo wrote:
AZ Brittany Guy wrote:

-Hondo
Who makes the Hi Performance you are feeding your dogs?

Loyall

Is there a link?

I would like a feed that helps keep the dogs teeth cleaner.
Loyall My vet charges $200 for teeh cleaning and when you have 12 dogs this becomes a big issue. I also give a large milk bone dog bisquet each night.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:22 pm

I clean my own dogs teeth but only have a few that really need it.I have a 12 1/2 yr old that has cleaner teeth then most 3 yr olds.

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:59 pm

With hunting season starting to wind down (still a month plus of grouse season, but I'm not going several times a week anymore) I decided to finally try a new food. I bought a bag of American Natural Premium which is 25/17 (fat/protein) I believe. I probably don't need a 30/20 dog food in the off season so starting next month is not a bad time to try it. The food is made by Fromm, which is a WI company, so that is a plus. Cost is reasonable at $32.95 for a 40 lb. bag.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:11 am

I have been using Nutri Source Performance for my GSP and I am happy with how she runs and is developing on it. She has been hunting quite a bit this season. I was giving her Diamond Extreme Athlete prior and I did not favor the smell of the dog food as it reminded me of her bi product. Might have been a bad batch but every bag smelled like that to me. If it does not smell edible, it is not good enough for the dogs. As soon as I ran out of my Eukanuba Pro Performance 40lb bags, I switched my Vizslas over to Nutri Source. Every dog is doing awesome on the stuff, and the price comes out to .92 a pound when you factor the loyalty purchasing.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:13 am

If it does not smell edible, it is not good enough for the dogs.
Make sure you tell them that when they think cat, deer, horse, and bird poop are the best delicacies in the world.It doesn't work to decide on what smells good to a dog by our human standards. That is why some companies try to make a food that smells good to the dogs instead of the owners.

A lot of people like the Nutri Source products aas well as the Diamond products.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:23 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
If it does not smell edible, it is not good enough for the dogs.
Make sure you tell them that when they think cat, deer, horse, and bird poop are the best delicacies in the world.It doesn't work to decide on what smells good to a dog by our human standards. That is why some companies try to make a food that smells good to the dogs instead of the owners.

A lot of people like the Nutri Source products aas well as the Diamond products.

Ezzy
Haha that is good one Ezzy! Our dogs do find delicacies along the way during hunts don't they. Although when I tried giving it to my Vizslas, they didn't want to go near it! Maybe it is because they were corrected at an early age to not eat their own poop. :P I truly believe personal observations during use makes your decision to continue purchasing. The outside factor unfortunately is how much we can afford which I am on the fence with. IMO Hunting dogs do so much and when you factor the great time you have with them they are worth the little extra money.

I agree with you about your last statement too. My dad has bought Diamond Hi energy for his field trial beagles for years by the pallet. I do not think he will ever change to a different feed because it has been a good feed for him. When I got my new pup, I figured why not give Diamond a try. It didn't work for my pack of dogs but that doesn't mean it would be good for someone else.

njp158

Post by njp158 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:28 pm

I was feeding Fromm's Gold up until a couple weeks ago. Making the Switch over to Dr. Tim's. We'll see how that works.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:53 pm

I currently feed Diamod Extreme Athlete but I may get a pallet of Inukshuk 32/32 to try. My GSP is loose on the Diamond but my Vizsla does fine.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I currently feed Diamod Extreme Athlete but I may get a pallet of Inukshuk 32/32 to try. My GSP is loose on the Diamond but my Vizsla does fine.

Cut the GSP back on food a little will probably take care of your problem. That always happens when an animal is consuming a little more than he can digest properly. People think they can't cut back or the dog will lose weight when probably the exact opposite will happen or it may just stay the same since it is having trouble digesting and using what it is eating presently. More feed does not automatically say a dog will gain weight. It just might do the opposite.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:53 pm

How can I say this knowing that the previous owner will see it? Oh well, the GSP was way too thin so I put him on the EA and he is running stronger and longer after just a few short weeks. He only gets about 2 cups per day but runs 2-3 hours. I highly doubt that I'm over feeding but I did have him on about 3-1/2 cups for the first week or so. I'm just going to wean him onto a different food and see what happens.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:34 am

Canidea als going back to loyall. Canidea last about a week longer do to it beinf a bigger bag but its $60 here. Just to spendy.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:03 pm

I am using IAMS smart puppy large dog breed food
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:12 pm

I'm still feeding Loyal Active Adult to my lab.

She has been on it for nearly 3 years and looks great on it.

The cost has gone up a little over time but not enough for me to change.

I stopped over analyzing dog food and looking for the holy grail of feeds.

I enjoy reading about dog nutrition and try to keep abreast of new feeds that are introduced, but I learned a while ago that dog food is more about what people think and less about the dogs. Owners purchase the food not dogs, and that is where the problem resides.

-Hondo

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:48 pm

11 year old setter - Prop Plan Senior

7 year old setter with skin condition - vet's product(Science Diet for skin) at $80.00 a month. ( Will not be on this long as no change in skin condition. :) )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett