Cost of your dog food?

Hunter

Cost of your dog food?

Post by Hunter » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:52 pm

Like the post below asking what everyone feeds for food, I am curious to know what the cost is that you pay for the food you feed. I hear some people say it is reasonably priced or switched because of the price. Also curious to see how different the cost is in different parts of the country. I know some get cheaper pricing because of the amount they buy so Please say what you feed, the cost and size of bag, and where you get it if you want. This may help some of us find a better deal that we didnt know about. Any way I feed Black / Gold in a # 50 bag either black or blue bag and it cost me $ 24.00 bg from local feed store.
Last edited by Hunter on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Alden

2X NGDC/GFC/FC Clk's Point Me The Way ( Allie ) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2765

jlp8cornell

Re: Cost of your dog food?

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:15 pm

Orijen Adult
30#/$54
Upstate NY from specialty feed store (Ithaca NY)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:21 pm

Hunter wrote:Like the post below asking what everyone feeds for food, I am curious to know what the cost is that you pay for the food you feed. I hear some people say it is reasonably priced or switched because of the price. Also curious to see how different the cost is in different parts of the country. Please say what you feed, the cost and size of bag, and where you get it if you want. This may help some of us find a better deal that we didnt know about. Any way I feed Black / Gold in a # 50 bag either black or blue bag and it cost me $ 24.00 bg from local feed store.
It would be helpful to know what the cost per day is as some feeds are more efficient than others.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:42 pm

The cost per day wouldn't tell you much as every dog is different. If I gave you the cost per day for my three dogs one of them would be almost exactly double for one of the others. I understand the reason for wanting to know a cost per day since that is really what a dog food cost you but it is also a figure you can not state for all dogs as it is unique to each individual dog And has little if any use when comparing to another feed or another dog. I think most people who have fed a number of dogs over the years realize this and have found that cost per lb is about as good of a comparison as you can get.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:43 pm

Might be just as interesting to see what the regional differences are on a per bag basis of the same type of feeds.

Cost per day is highly variable from dog to dog - even dogs of the same breed on the same feed can consume significantly different amounts.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:52 pm

ezzy333 wrote:The cost per day wouldn't tell you much as every dog is different. If I gave you the cost per day for my three dogs one of them would be almost exactly double for one of the others. I understand the reason for wanting to know a cost per day since that is really what a dog food cost you but it is also a figure you can not state for all dogs as it is unique to each individual dog And has little if any use when comparing to another feed or another dog. I think most people who have fed a number of dogs over the years realize this and have found that cost per lb is about as good of a comparison as you can get.

Ezzy

Its just a factual piece of information, don't get defensive. I have fed many dogs too and the cost per day is of value. We might find out in a general sense which foods really offer value. People can use the info as they wish.

Shortcomings are noted.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 pm

I pay $40 for 40lbs of Purino Pro Plan Performance. It looks like it's about 2-3/4 cups per pound. So my dogs cost me from .50 to $1.00 per day each to feed now and about 50% more than that when guiding in the winter up where its cold.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:06 pm

Abady M&S
48lbs - $95, 2.5 -3 months supply
Local Speciality store in NJ or Doggiefood.com (very hard to find outside northeast)

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:11 pm

I am just curious as to the cost and the difference from the different regions of the country for the same food, please dont make a big deal out of cost per pound or per day because as stated all dogs are different and we all feed different. Please just the name of feed, size of bag, where your from and total cost is all I am asking, I am not trying to get real indept here as I thought it would be fun just to see the many differences. Thanks
Jerry Alden

2X NGDC/GFC/FC Clk's Point Me The Way ( Allie ) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2765

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:18 pm

We get kennel pricing on the loyall so we are at approx 20 dollars for 40 lbs of the maintenance after our rebate and about 29-30 bucks for the 50 pounds of performance after rebate which their rebate is 2 bucks back for the 50 lb bags and 1 dollar back on 40 lbs on their kennel / breeder program
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:12 pm

I feed Nutram (produced in Ontario). Cost is about 40.00 Can. for 15 kg. and they have a 7.00 breeder discount.

windswept

Post by windswept » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:37 pm

Native 3 is normally about $38 for a 40# bag. I am buying it for a little less than that because of a volume discount that I get. The nice thing is that I am feeding about 25% less than Pro Plan so I am saving even more.
Oh, and I live in South Dakota.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:52 pm

I think I pay nearly $28 for 40 # Loyall Active Adult, tax included. Of course, that's with a $3 off coupon which the dealer always has for me.
big steve

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:49 pm

I am just curious as to the cost and the difference from the different regions of the country for the same food, please dont make a big deal out of cost per pound or per day because as stated all dogs are different and we all feed different. Please just the name of feed, size of bag, where your from and total cost is all I am asking, I am not trying to get real indept here as I thought it would be fun just to see the many differences. Thanks
I agree. Would just like to see what others pay for Orijen around the country. There are too many diff breeds of dogs/age/sex/intact or not/act levels.............

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:15 pm

sam's club exceed, 29.00/44lbs nationwide.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:31 pm

Sport Mix. $18.95 per 50# bag at local feed store.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

tn red

Post by tn red » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:22 pm

Sportmix $23 to $25 here for 50lbs

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:50 pm

Taste of the Wild $46/30 lb SW Colorado

kumate

Post by kumate » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:41 pm

I was prev using Abady M&S 126.50 delivered for 48lbs, just switched today to orijen 6 fish $61 for 30lbs i am in central fl

Jerry

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:39 pm

Central Missouri, (about 20 miles from where Black Gold is made)

Black Gold
50# Blue Bag 24/20 Formula
$24.00 per bag

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:33 am

orijen where I am at is 72 after tax, for the 6 fish.

brandon

Bossman27

Post by Bossman27 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:44 am

Native - $43 for 40lbs.

Fish 4-5

Post by Fish 4-5 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:53 am

Joy professional 24/18, 50# 24.00 at the local feed store in Va.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:50 am

We get EVO Turkey & Chicken Large Bites (grain free) 28.6# bag for $52.99 in Lutz, FL. Since the dog is getting 2 1/2 cups of this vs. the 4 cups of Exceed he was previously on, it works out better in the long run.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:17 am

SubMariner wrote:We get EVO Turkey & Chicken Large Bites (grain free) 28.6# bag for $52.99 in Lutz, FL. Since the dog is getting 2 1/2 cups of this vs. the 4 cups of Exceed he was previously on, it works out better in the long run.
For the cost to be equal you had to be paying 57.90 for a 50 lb. bag of Exceed. I have never fed it but that seems way too high from what I have heard. Think the last I bought was 23 dollars for 40 lbs of Diamond.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:15 am

Evo appears to be a high quality feed, but way too expensive. I used to feed Diamond Premium, which is a very good feed, and I now feed Loyall Active Adult. Both, and others, are feeds that dogs do well on. My young Setter eats less than 3 cups per day, and looks great on a feed that costs about 40% as much as Evo. Cost effectiveness is just not there with Evo IMHO.
big steve

Pavel

Post by Pavel » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:20 pm

30 pound bag of Holistic Select Puppy Formula lasts me about 4 weeks for $85.00, with taxes. This is in Canada, but the dollar is pretty close to being at par, so it does not make that much of a difference except for that I know you can get it cheaper in the States.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Pavel wrote:30 pound bag of Holistic Select Puppy Formula lasts me about 4 weeks for $85.00, with taxes. This is in Canada, but the dollar is pretty close to being at par, so it does not make that much of a difference except for that I know you can get it cheaper in the States.
Yikes 33lbs of that in NJ is $45....

The way grain prices are going, dog food is set to go up quite a bit I think.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:01 am

ezzy333 wrote:
SubMariner wrote:We get EVO Turkey & Chicken Large Bites (grain free) 28.6# bag for $52.99 in Lutz, FL. Since the dog is getting 2 1/2 cups of this vs. the 4 cups of Exceed he was previously on, it works out better in the long run.
For the cost to be equal you had to be paying 57.90 for a 50 lb. bag of Exceed. I have never fed it but that seems way too high from what I have heard. Think the last I bought was 23 dollars for 40 lbs of Diamond.

Ezzy
Ezzy, if you recall, we've already hashed this out in another thread. When the calculations were all in, the EVO was more cost effective than the Exceed simply because you need to feed less of it. But to reiterate:

My dog was up to 4 cups of Exceed Chicken (previous 32% protein version, not the current 30% batch) was LOOSING weight, and had a lot of "output". EVO Turkey & Chicken large bites is 42% protein, and grainless. He put on muscle mass, his coat got glossier and his "output" went WAY down.

So "at the checkout" price is not really the issue, but what it costs to feed the dog what he needs to thrive. And Exceed was the loser in our run-off.
=SubMariner=

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:13 pm

When I posted that you will see I figured exactly how much of each you were feeding and priced the Exceed at what it would cost if you were spending the same amount for both feeds. If you are spending 52.99 for Evo and feeding 2 1/2 cups a day then the 4 cups of Exceed would come to 57,90 for 50# and your daily cost would be the same. I am not trying to convince you what to feed as that is your decision to make but I was concerned when you said it was cheaper to feed the Evo. Using your figures then the Exceed would have to be 58 dollars for a 50 lb bag for it to be more expensive on a daily basis. But as we both know, cost isn't everything and from what I have heard the Evo is a good feed but most everyone that tries it admits they are spending more and just can't afford it. But if you can that is fine.

If you didn't follow how I was figuring the cost another way to put it is if Exceed is $30 dollars for a 50 bag abd Evo is $60 for a 30lb bag then the Evo is 5 times as expensive so 1 cup of Evo is costing what 5 lbs of Exceed cost. If you are feeding 2 1/2 cups of Evo then you couuld feed 12 1/2 cups of Exceed at the same cost to you per day. You said you were feeding 4 cups so you are spending 3 times as much per day as what the Exceed cost you.

Don't know how you figured it was cheaper per day but I can't make it come out that way.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:20 pm

ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
that sounds expensive compared to this house brand, which is a 30/20 and made by the same people that make several high-end kibbles.

http://www.ohiopetfoods.com/Master_&_Pet_Supreme.htm

no recalls, no sick or dead dogs

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:24 pm

ezzy333 wrote:When I posted that you will see I figured exactly how much of each you were feeding and priced the Exceed at what it would cost if you were spending the same amount for both feeds. If you are spending 52.99 for Evo and feeding 2 1/2 cups a day then the 4 cups of Exceed would come to 57,90 for 50# and your daily cost would be the same. I am not trying to convince you what to feed as that is your decision to make but I was concerned when you said it was cheaper to feed the Evo. Using your figures then the Exceed would have to be 58 dollars for a 50 lb bag for it to be more expensive on a daily basis. But as we both know, cost isn't everything and from what I have heard the Evo is a good feed but most everyone that tries it admits they are spending more and just can't afford it. But if you can that is fine.

If you didn't follow how I was figuring the cost another way to put it is if Exceed is $30 dollars for a 50 bag abd Evo is $60 for a 30lb bag then the Evo is 5 times as expensive so 1 cup of Evo is costing what 5 lbs of Exceed cost. If you are feeding 2 1/2 cups of Evo then you couuld feed 12 1/2 cups of Exceed at the same cost to you per day. You said you were feeding 4 cups so you are spending 3 times as much per day as what the Exceed cost you.

Don't know how you figured it was cheaper per day but I can't make it come out that way.

Ezzy

Exceed is about 80 cents/lb vs $1.60 for EVO where I live. I would certainly pay a marginal premium if i fed 30-50% less. The better foods are much more competitve price-wise in metro areas. Canidae is less than Exceed where I live.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:39 pm

mcbosco wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:When I posted that you will see I figured exactly how much of each you were feeding and priced the Exceed at what it would cost if you were spending the same amount for both feeds. If you are spending 52.99 for Evo and feeding 2 1/2 cups a day then the 4 cups of Exceed would come to 57,90 for 50# and your daily cost would be the same. I am not trying to convince you what to feed as that is your decision to make but I was concerned when you said it was cheaper to feed the Evo. Using your figures then the Exceed would have to be 58 dollars for a 50 lb bag for it to be more expensive on a daily basis. But as we both know, cost isn't everything and from what I have heard the Evo is a good feed but most everyone that tries it admits they are spending more and just can't afford it. But if you can that is fine.

Ezzy

Exceed is about 80 cents/lb vs $1.60 for EVO where I live. I would certainly pay a marginal premium if i fed 30-50% less. The better foods are much more competitve price-wise in metro areas. Canidae is less than Exceed where I live. Why would you buy a bag of corn gluten if you could buy Canidae for less?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:56 pm

actually Exceed is .66 cents a lb. 44 lb bag at 29.00.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:00 pm

The guy at the freehold, nj store told me its was $34 a bag, I will go with you number then. Canidae runs 70 cents a lb with the free 6th bag. Very close. Not everyone can get that price I know. My point is that when all those premium brands are in the same market and same store, prices are better relative to house brands.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:04 pm

Probably difference in taxes.....Jersey loves some taxes :D

I have been eyeballing diamond extreme athlete. My problem is I'm trying to keep 4 on one feed, one is sensitive and they all been doing great for a couple years now on Exceed. I might buy a bag of the Diamond EA and slowly try him on it......

I didn't see a hipro/fat canidae?

One factor too for me is wide availability, Tractor Supply carries the Diamond feeds, so that's a plus.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:28 pm

FYI... Canidae's Grain Free All Life Stage (ALS) is 34/18 and 498 k-cal per cup.

The Diamond EA is 32/25 but only 470 k-cal per cup. It is the highest calories food Diamond makes.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:40 am

Ezzy
I really didn't want to start hashing this out yet again. However, the thread (back in March?) in which we had previously discussed this indicated that most people (myself included) do not feed a cup by WEIGHT, but rather by VOLUME. So sitting there saying Brand A costs X per pound while Brand B costs Y per pound muddies the waters.

Let's just agree to disagree & stop beating the dead horse already.
=SubMariner=

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:02 am

Sub,

Not a problem, just didn't want anyone, you included, thinking it was cheaper when you are actually spending much more. So as I said it makes no difference what you are feeding as long as you are satisfied.

Ezzy

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:08 pm

I feed Loyall Active Adult (26/19). A 40# bag costs $31.95 with tax it is $34.91 out the door. I'm in San Jose, CA.

-Hondo

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:27 pm

SUB MARINER,

Since you changed to EVO do you think your dog/s look better, act better, more energy, better skin/coat than when eating the other food you used to feed?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:04 pm

MikeB wrote:SUB MARINER,

Since you changed to EVO do you think your dog/s look better, act better, more energy, better skin/coat than when eating the other food you used to feed?
Can they go harder for longer while maintaining weight and condition? That is what I was always looking for when switching up feeds.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Start a new topic guys instead of taking this one astray.

Ezzy

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:11 pm

Hondo wrote:I feed Loyall Active Adult (26/19). A 40# bag costs $31.95 with tax it is $34.91 out the door. I'm in San Jose, CA.

-Hondo
I successfully feed the same one. Ask your supplier about $3 off coupons by the company.
big steve

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Abady Basic: 35-lb box for $65. Lasts about 90 days. 31/28. 865/cup. Zoe is about 33-35 lbs.
A good bird dog is always the right color

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:42 pm

My box of food at NYC Pet Supply sells for $72. You need to shop around to look for the best deal in whatever you feed.
A good bird dog is always the right color

ArcticRetrievers

Post by ArcticRetrievers » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:44 am

Taste Of the Wild - Wetlands (higher protein than other Varieties) $49.90/Bag 40# Bags, but even during hunting season I only feed 1 1/2 - 2 cups a day with National Energy Pak which is $15.95/5lb Tub which lasts 6-8 months

I gat it from my Local feed store, and I live in ALASKA