rattlesnake vaccination?

reba

rattlesnake vaccination?

Post by reba » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:15 pm

Do your dogs get the rattlesnake vaccination?

SubMariner

Re: rattlesnake vaccination?

Post by SubMariner » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:43 am

reba wrote:Do your dogs get the rattlesnake vaccination?
Nope.

The rattlesnake vaccination is useless in our area (SW FL) because no local poisonous snakes were used to create it.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:08 pm

Yes, first year, my vet really recommended it. Didn't bother my dog at all and he was only 7 months old at the time.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:23 pm

No

I will stick to snake avoidance

Nothing is a guarantee but
1 it is useless against the Mojave rattler
2 it doesn't prevent death should a dog get bit in a vital zone area
3 Over the years all the dogs that I have seen get bit only required Medical attention cortisone shots for swelling and strong antibiotics for secondary infection..which is the same procedure the dog will require even with the shot so why add an extra 60-90 bucks a year according to there requested shot schedule on their web site as it isn't a yearly booster it is 1st shot 30 days later a 2nd shot and then every 4-6 month boosters to maintain the titer count which supposedly slows the venoms process

http://www.redrockbiologics.com/FAQ.html
How long does protection last? How often should my dog be vaccinated?

The maximum protection generated by vaccination typically becomes available about four to six weeks after the most recent vaccine booster dose. That protection then declines slowly over time. Vaccinated dogs typically receive good protection for about six months after boostering. Depending on the dog, some protection may continue out to a year, or longer.

The first time your dog is vaccinated, we recommend an initial vaccine injection followed by a booster dose about one month later. The recommended subsequent boostering schedule of one, two or three vaccine doses per year depends upon your dog's anticipated exposure to rattlesnakes and the size of your dog.

Most dogs that are exposed to rattlesnakes for less than six months per year will only require a single booster dose for that year. The best time to give that dose is approximately one month before the start of the rattlesnake "season." This category includes dogs who live in roughly the northern half of the United States, or dogs who briefly visit locations where rattlesnakes may be active -- such as during a camping or hunting trip.

If your dog will be in an area where rattlesnakes are active for more than six months per year (roughly the southern half of the United States) we recommend two annual booster doses given four to six months apart. Again, the first booster dose should be given one month before the rattlesnake season begins. The second dose is given approximately half-way through the season.

If your dog is at particular risk of being bitten by a rattlesnake (for example, a search and rescue dog, some hunting dogs or dogs living in a high density rattlesnake area), you should consider using three booster doses per year at four month intervals.

Since resistance to venom depends upon the amount of venom neutralizing antibody available, small dogs (under 25 pounds) are at increased risk of envenomation injury. Because of this, a third dose in the initial sequence, and in subsequent years more frequent boosters (e.g. every four to six months), may be advisable in small dogs to maximize their antibody production for more protection.

Large dogs (over 100 pounds) do not develop as high an antibody level as intermediate-sized dogs in response to the two dose initial sequence. For this reason, large dogs may also benefit from a third dose in the initial sequence, although they do not necessarily require additional annual booster doses to maintain that antibody level.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

kumate

Post by kumate » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:35 pm

My gsp had pretty bad localized swelling on bilat shoulders like small baseballs, i wont do it again
jerry

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:00 am

kninebirddog wrote:1 it is useless against the Mojave rattler
Knine, Have you ever seen a dog hit by a Mojave and if you have, did the dog recover?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:44 am

I know of 3 dogs that were for sure struck by mohave rattlers
None survived...One lasted 3 weeks of extensive medical bills and still died

I know of dog that was 30 days from the second round of the vaccine and was struck in the chest by a rattler in Texas even after the person got his dog to the vet the dog still passed away that evening

UC davis doesn't even carry the vaccine..and their stance is because it it isn't really known if the vaccine works or not because they can not do a live controlled test of injecting venom into dogs ..you can thank bleeding hearts for that

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmth/smal ... tocols.cfm
Canine Rattlesnake Vaccine
The canine rattlesnake vaccine comprises venom components from Crotalus atrox (western diamondback). Although a rattlesnake vaccine may be potentially useful for dogs that frequently encounter rattlesnakes, currently we are unable to recommend this vaccine because of insufficient information regarding the efficacy of the vaccine in dogs. Dogs develop neutralizing antibody titers to C. atrox venom, and may also develop antibody titers to components of other rattlesnake venoms, but research in this area is ongoing. Owners of vaccinated dogs must still seek veterinary care immediately in the event of a bite, because 1) the type of snake is often unknown; 2) antibody titers may be overwhelmed in the face of severe envenomation, and 3) an individual dog may lack sufficient protection depending on its response to the vaccine and the time elapsed since vaccination. According to the manufacturer, to date, rare vaccinated dogs have died following a bite when there were substantial delays (12-24 hours) in seeking treatment. Recommendations for booster vaccination are still under development, but it appears that adequate titers do not persist beyond one year after vaccination. Adverse reactions appear to be low and consistent with those resulting from vaccination with other products available on the market. The product license is currently conditional as efficacy and potency have not been fully demonstrated. Based on existing evidence, the UC Davis VMTH does not currently recommend routine vaccination of dogs for rattlesnake envenomation, and the vaccine is not stocked by our pharmacy.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.