Wetting her mat

JasonW77

Wetting her mat

Post by JasonW77 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:11 pm

I have a two year old brittany who in the last 4 days has urinated on her mat. Now the problem is that her back side is cover in pee from laying in it. My understanding is that dogs don't like that. Last night she woke me twice to go out and i took her, then sometime between 3am and 5:30am when I got up she was cover in pee again. And she look pretty said when we found it on her mat. It has been pretty warm for north Washington weather lately. But she has never done this before. I'm wondering if anyone could help me out with this.

nitrex

Re: Wetting her mat

Post by nitrex » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:33 pm

Sounds like a possible bladder infection. I'd call the vet in the morning! Good Luck!

Nitrex

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:04 am

Sounds like a possible bladder infection. I'd call the vet in the morning!
Agree.

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:06 am

So I called the vet and they want a unrin sample. How do you get a brittany to pee in something. This should be fun

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:30 am

Keep her on a short leash, follow her around and put a container under her. Good luck!

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:34 am

JasonW77 wrote:So I called the vet and they want a unrin sample. How do you get a brittany to pee in something. This should be fun
we use a ladle. has she been drinking more water than usual, too?

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Actually she has been drinking more water I just figured that it was due to the heat

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Jason,

How much horsepower is in her feed protein wise......................the root of many urinary tract infections, to much protein for not enough excersise(which in this heat is subdued) will equal an infection.I've got an amateur vet status from years of paying for it but my best guess at the solution for your britt will be cephalexin antibiotic at a rate of 250 milligrams morning and night for 10 days worth.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:49 am

Wildweeds wrote:Jason,

How much horsepower is in her feed protein wise......................the root of many urinary tract infections, to much protein for not enough excersise(which in this heat is subdued) will equal an infection.I've got an amateur vet status from years of paying for it but my best guess at the solution for your britt will be cephalexin antibiotic at a rate of 250 milligrams morning and night for 10 days worth.
That is totally untrue. Protein has nothing to do with bacterial infection in the urinary tract. In fact, it could be the opposite; that a lack of protein (ie more carbs) results in an alkaline environment.

The big pet food companies used to blame high protein diets for everything because they didn't market them at the time.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:12 am

mcbosco wrote:
Wildweeds wrote:Jason,

That is totally untrue. Protein has nothing to do with bacterial infection in the urinary tract. In fact, it could be the opposite; that a lack of protein (ie more carbs) results in an alkaline environment.

The big pet food companies used to blame high protein diets for everything because they didn't market them at the time.
The big pet food companies used to blame high protein diets for everything because they didn't market them at the time
Just as this is totally untrue. Make your point but don't always try to trash someone.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:33 am

I criticized a thing not a person. And I am right about that.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:52 am

mcbosco wrote:I criticized a thing not a person. And I am right about that.
Then tell us about the meeting you sat in on the subject and why did they decide to do that instead of just making a feed with more protein since they had it there available. And also maybe you could tell us why the medical profession was saying the same thing. I never heard it even discussed in the meeting, trade group meetings, seminars, or schooling I attended. But I did hear it loud and clear from the medical society and this is just another case of people trying to transfer human nutrition over to their pets. We often forget dogs are dogs.

And no matter where it came from you can not find a single example of a dog food company ever saying that or ever using it in their ads.

So lets get back to your opinion that the infection is not caused by too much protein and I will state I agree with you. There other complications sometimes from feeding too much but normally it is just passed on through the dog in their loose stools.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:04 am

1) The medical profession is tied in with the companies. Fact
2) I used to hear this from field reps with my own ears. Fact
3) The large food companies years back were not set up to make a food like Evo. Fact

The influence of Nestle, Proctor & Gamble and Colgate on the vet schools is real. Just ask anyone that gets Pro Plan on the cheap.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:12 am

This is 100% true. I work in a vet school. Hills and Purina donate a ton of food to the school. I can buy it dirt cheap. We have a huge storage facility for donated food.

And for the students (ie: the future veterinarians recommending dog food to clients)--- they give them FREE dog food. It comes in once a month or so, huge palettes of the stuff and they have a distribution.

And that's not all.....free catered lunches for the students during the year from the companies as well.

Hills and Purina know what they are doing and how to get their product out there. Even so, the DVMs I deal with all support my choice of feed 100%.

jen

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:00 am

now that weve established the "fact" that all vets have been brainwashed by the evil dog food manufacturers and have recieved so many free catered lunches and bags of dog food that they are incapable of using the education they recieved to make their own intelligent, unbiased decisions, lets get back to the topic at hand.

sounds like the dog is polyuric/polydipsic to me, which means a trip to the vet is in order. kidney problems, diabetes are possible issues, along with a few other things. some bloodwork might be a good idea. hopefully its nothing serious. my wifes golden did the same thing a couple years ago. i did all the testing, etc, never found anything wrong, and then she quit. no explanation.

and as always, i could be wrong, but i sure dont remember anything about high protein "causing" a bladder infection. usually bladder "infections" are caused by bacteria that colnize the wall of the bladder.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:18 am

If the profession wasn't influenced/brainwashed , why would it only carry Hill's Products? Why would a vet's office sell a bag of corn and soy gluten with BHA for $75?

Why would the profession only carry FortiFlori from Nestle for $2 -4 a dose when other better products are 2 cents a dose?

Mine ditched those products years ago.

Makes you think.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:36 am

Last edited by jlp8cornell on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:37 am

now that weve established the "fact" that all vets have been brainwashed by the evil dog food manufacturers and have recieved so many free catered lunches and bags of dog food that they are incapable of using the education they recieved to make their own intelligent, unbiased decisions, lets get back to the topic at hand.
Doc-- If you read my post you would see that I said---"Even so, the DVMs I deal with all support my choice of feed 100%. " So how does that imply they were brainwashed?
All I was stating in my message was that the companies do indeed have a lot of influence over the students. That is a fact. you cannot dispute it.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:09 am

hills was the first and still one of the only "prescription" food makers. when putting a dog on a certain diet will help fix its problem, then its pretty nice to be able to give people that. I agree, its Way overpriced, but so are the others. when i was in school, we got food from Eukanuba once a month for reading an article and taking a quiz. we also got food from waltham. funny thing is, there isnt any of those brands in our clinic. and i have never even seen Forti Flori by Nestle.

Look, this is still a capitalist economy. nobody forces you to buy anything from anybody (oh wait, except for health insurance, but we dont want this thread to get deleted, so we wont go there). as a vet, people bring their dogs to me and ask me to fix a problem. i do my best to come to a diagnosis and provide treatment that i think will help fix that problem. i purchase meds and supplies from distributors that i think will help me help my clients. folks can either choose to purchase those things or they can refuse them. if they can find a better/cheaper alternative somewhere else that will get the job done, then more power to them. no skin off my back. if folks dont like the price and they ask if there is something else cheaper that will work, i will do my best to help them find something. so please dont make the vets out to be the bad guys just for offering a service/product/etc that you have the OPTION of purchasing or not.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:21 am

jlp8cornell wrote:
This is 100% true. I work in a vet school. Hills and Purina donate a ton of food to the school. I can buy it dirt cheap. We have a huge storage facility for donated food.

And for the students (ie: the future veterinarians recommending dog food to clients)--- they give them FREE dog food. It comes in once a month or so, huge palettes of the stuff and they have a distribution.

And that's not all.....free catered lunches for the students during the year from the companies as well.

jen

this is the part of what you wrote that makes the implication that i have a problem with. Look, im not mad at anybody, i just dont like the blanket assumption that most vets are out to get your money by pressuring you to buy overpriced things you dont really need. sure there are some that do that, I am sure, but not most, IMHO. certainly not this one. dont get me wrong, i was more than happy to get a free lunch and or free dog food just for sitting and listening to their rep talk for a half hour or so, but honestly it never made me think that their food was any better or more justified in price than any of the others. i tell people find a food that your dog does well on that you can afford, and stick with it. unless maybe its Ol' Roy! :D :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:55 pm

dog dr wrote:now that weve established the "fact" that all vets have been brainwashed by the evil dog food manufacturers and have recieved so many free catered lunches and bags of dog food that they are incapable of using the education they recieved to make their own intelligent, unbiased decisions, lets get back to the topic at hand.

sounds like the dog is polyuric/polydipsic to me, which means a trip to the vet is in order. kidney problems, diabetes are possible issues, along with a few other things. some bloodwork might be a good idea. hopefully its nothing serious. my wifes golden did the same thing a couple years ago. i did all the testing, etc, never found anything wrong, and then she quit. no explanation.

and as always, i could be wrong, but i sure dont remember anything about high protein "causing" a bladder infection. usually bladder "infections" are caused by bacteria that colnize the wall of the bladder.
I wouldn't worry too much about the public perception of the vets. It seems to just be just a few that are always looking for a conspiracy theory to explain away the things vets and dog food companies do that they don't agree with.

I just don't like to see that posted here as fact where some new people to our world see it and believe it, so I will continue to try and set the record straight. Like you Doc, I never heard or had any outside pressure from anyone and if we needed to do research or share info it was always us that made the contacts.

It does bother me though that someone who has never been a part of the industry even can sit and tell everyone what we were thinking and doing in our business and what our motives were and there opinion couldnt be much further from the truth.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:18 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about the public perception of the vets. I
If you had actually read my post, all I said is that the companies donate a ton of stuff to the school. Never once did I imply that the students were brainwashed. Nor did I saw they could not make their own decisions. In fact I stated my vets approve of what I feed. How much more clear could I be? How could you interpret what I said to suggest people are too dumb to make up their own minds?

I posted about the companies and what they do. Period.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:28 pm

"It does bother me though that someone who has never been a part of the industry even can sit and tell everyone what we were thinking and doing in our business and what our motives were and there opinion couldnt be much further from the truth"

Ezzy, do you approve of pet food & drug companies giving products to and entertaining the faculty, employees and students of Vet Schools.

A simple "yes" or "no" is sufficient.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:45 pm

mcbosco wrote:"It does bother me though that someone who has never been a part of the industry even can sit and tell everyone what we were thinking and doing in our business and what our motives were and there opinion couldnt be much further from the truth"

Ezzy, do you approve of pet food & drug companies giving products to and entertaining the faculty, employees and students of Vet Schools.

i'll let ezzy answer for himself, but its just marketing, if you ask me. its no different than people running for office handing out stickers, keychains, calendars, notepads, pens, etc. so folks will remember their name come election time. NOW, if you vote for somebody simply because they gave you a fancy ink pen with their name on it, then you shouldnt be voting, IMHO.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:24 pm

mcbosco wrote:"It does bother me though that someone who has never been a part of the industry even can sit and tell everyone what we were thinking and doing in our business and what our motives were and there opinion couldnt be much further from the truth"

If that is how they want to spend their money I guess it is ok. I have wondered about why they would do it, but realize it is just a marketing tool many companies use and it seems to work for them to help get their products that are being sold into the vets realm of knowledge so he can decide if it is something that will help him do his job but probably has little influence on anybody other than increasing their knowledge. The same thing happens in the doctors office where they bring in meals for the help everyweek. But it is a different company doing it each week too and it keeps me in a great supply of ball point pens. And it does give the Doctors a great supply of samples to give to the people who have no insurance.

Mcbosco, do you approve of people who have no training or experience in feed nutrition and manufacturing trying to influence every poster on a forum like this by posting his opinion as fact? A simple yes or no would work but probably would not give us much info as to why you believe like you do.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:32 pm

No I don't that is why I always challenge you and your industry dribble.

You represent the industry and that is in no way a certification of expertise or ethics. It is amazing how you defend it.

You can't even answer a simple ethical question. It is totally improper and unethical for a University to allow pet food companies in the door, period and without exception.

You don't know anything about me by the way.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:15 pm

mcbosco wrote:No I don't that is why I always challenge you and your industry dribble.

You represent the industry and that is in no way a certification of expertise or ethics. It is amazing how you defend it.

You can't even answer a simple ethical question. It is totally improper and unethical for a University to allow pet food companies in the door, period and without exception.

You don't know anything about me by the way.
Don't be too sure of that. I talk to people who went to Notre Dame and a couple that have known you since that.

Yes I stick up for what is right with the industry since I know how they operate but I am primarily a consumer just like you. But I do know there is no "company" that is an it like you said but the company is nothing more than a group of people just like you and I and that group is what makes the decisions that are best for the consumer so that the company can prosper. of course there can be an occasional maverick but they never last long. You have to remember companies do not generate or make money and do not have a voice. Its the customer that generates all of the money and its the individuals like you and me that speak for the company. For a matter of fact if Purina or any other major company offered you the CEO position you would be there tomorrow and be making those dreaded decisions that management has to make to produce a good product as cheaply as possible so sales will continue to support you and the employees of that company and pay a little back to the stockholders so they will continue to buy and own the stock. Think it is called capitalism or free enterprise.

And why would you want the industry seperated from the learning institutions. We went to them often asking for their advice and also their research that we needed and they got the results of our research also. I always prided myself on the close working relationship we had with the Ag departments and the vet schools. Was what I thought was a win win situation and I think the schools felt the same way. And though it wasn't expected but I sure wasn't against showing my appreciation with some sort of token of appreciation.

Ezzy

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:20 pm

How do you get a urine sample...
You teach puppies to potty on command. Then when older and you have this problem you can collect a sample pretty easy. I had to do this once when one of my dogs had UTI... and in the vets parking lot I got a sample in one of those kidney shaped pans. The vet said standing at the back door of his office ... "In 30 years of practice I have never seen that". It's all about training and easy to teach. Great for traveling too.

Hope all is well soon,
MikeB

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:51 pm

"Don't be too sure of that. I talk to people who went to Notre Dame and a couple that have known you since that"

LOL, that made me laugh....do you talk to people at UVA too?

You make a good point, science & production people should work together for the common good without commercial pressures but they don't. Maybe I am crazy but buying pizza and chinese food and giving first year Vet students Science Diet backpacks doesn't sound like serious science to me.

If a Vet school needs a "huge" storage facility to hold "donated" food something is wrong with the system.

I wish things were like you envision them.

Ezzy, do you see any parallels to the baby formula industry?

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Took the urine sample in and got the results. She has a UTI. We have to give her a pill twice a day for 12 days. Luckily she hasn't wet her mat in a couple days. Thanks everyone and very interesting conversation that came from it.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:09 pm

Well it sounds like I got part of it right with pills,twice a day............wonder if they are from the penecillin family.

Guess when I visit my A+ vet from WSU and his partner from Texas A&M I'll have to tell them they are full of .........cause that's where I got my info.

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:59 pm

They her on Ciprofloxacin HCL 250mg. Good call on the URI thanks

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:05 am

Wildweeds wrote:Well it sounds like I got part of it right with pills,twice a day............wonder if they are from the penecillin family.

Guess when I visit my A+ vet from WSU and his partner from Texas A&M I'll have to tell them they are full of .........cause that's where I got my info.

nobody said you weren't correct about her having a UTI. we were just questioning the statement about high protein diets causing a UTI. :)

Glad its something simple and easy to treat! :D