Brittle Nails

JasonW77

Brittle Nails

Post by JasonW77 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:23 pm

Over the weekend I trimmed back her nails and noticed that they are kind of brittle. Not that they fracture but the area I trimmed just didn't seem very strong. Also when I'm doing this she yelps like I'm killing her. Is there something I'm missing. I did notice her vain (can't think of the name of that part inside the nail at this time) has grown down further into the nail tip. I keep her nails trimmed often. Any suggestions on this?

On a side note she has never broken a nail off with all the holes she has dug in the back yard :lol:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Brittle Nails

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:23 am

They yelp out from either not wanting to have it done (perhaps a bad memory from someone cutting the Quick) or dull clippers that put too much pressure on the nails. Are you using guillotine style clippers? If so keep new blades around, the sharper the blade the less painful it is. I have an old pair of Millers Forge clippers that I have had sharpened a bunch of times. I like the bird beak style clippers but I hate the stopper on them.

When you go to cut them are they at the point when the nail starts to grow semi-hollow? Thats what it sounds like when you say they are weak. If that's the case IMO you are letting them grow too long. The quick continues to grow out with the nail so getting back to that dense nail area might be a pain.

I like nails short but there many opinions on this.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 8wIwATgA#p

These were considered expensive when I bought them but I have used them for at least 13 years. That one may not be the genuine Millers Forge product. Petco carries the newer models and the old-style one.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:21 am

Try plain Know Gelatin sprinkled a spoon at a time on her food, and maybe the dog food itself? Any changes is her coat still in good shape?

lovemydog

Post by lovemydog » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:16 am

This has happened to my dog before, and the vet said it was because we weren't trimming his nails as often as we should be. He also said that if nails aren't trimmed regularly, the quick will grow out, increasing the chance for pain. I don't know anything specifically that will work to correct brittle nails. Have you checked your local pet store or asked your vet?

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:52 pm

I haven't asked the vet yet, but i will soon. I'm thinking that I'm not trimming them often enough. No real change in her coat.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:42 am

JasonW77 wrote:I haven't asked the vet yet, but i will soon. I'm thinking that I'm not trimming them often enough. No real change in her coat.
This happens all the time when nails aren't trimmed on a regular basis. It is the front paw that doesn't get enough friction with the ground usually and one nail on the rear. You might want to consider having the vet do it under a local so he can cut the quick down as well.

Just a thought and keep those blades sharp.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:24 am

Unless they are really bad I wouldn't put her through a trip to the vet and cutting the quick. Trim the nails back as far as you can without hitting the quick. The quick will slowly recede. Wait two or three days and trim them again. Keep doing this until they are where they need to be and then keep up with them.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:49 am

stlgsp wrote:Unless they are really bad I wouldn't put her through a trip to the vet and cutting the quick. Trim the nails back as far as you can without hitting the quick. The quick will slowly recede. Wait two or three days and trim them again. Keep doing this until they are where they need to be and then keep up with them.

Are the dogs nails white? That would be a bonus.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:21 am

On dark nails shave off a little at a time and when you see a white dot you're at the edge of the quick.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:45 am

Yeah with a very sharp cutter. Problem is not too many dogs stay still enough for that.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:47 am

Use a dremmel and sand them off.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:14 am

Those work pretty well. I find the process to slow.

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:57 am

ezzy333 wrote:Use a dremmel and sand them off.

Ezzy
That's what I use as well

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:51 am

I use a dremmel as well. Just remember not to grind too long on each nail because they heat up quickly. Grind a few seconds and then go back to that nail later.