Tetanus in Dogs

fuzznut

Tetanus in Dogs

Post by fuzznut » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:04 am

Tetanus is not a common problem in dogs, but it does occur. I've knows of 2 dogs now that have come down with the condition. It is apparently so rare, that many vets don't even have it on their radar and have a difficult time diagnosing the problem. Routine vaccination for tetanus is not reccomended for dogs.

Things to watch for-
In both of the dogs I know about, each had a foot injury that got slightly infected and was treated with antibiotics. Nothing more was thought of it.

Several days, to weeks later the dog stopped eating, third eyelid became very prominent. Swelling of face, head, neck... with an evident hardness of the body muscles.
Ears curled in a funny way, dogs had a difficult time opening and closing their mouths. Very stiff gaits.

The first dog lost 20+ pounds and was in E. Vet hospital for a week before one of the techs (who had just attended a symposium on tetanus in horses) brought up the possibility of tetanus. Owner had to travel a very long distance to find Anti Toxin for horses and get it to the hospital. Dog survived and is normal- 12.5 yrs old now. Cost- well you just don't want to know!

Second dog is now in treatment. Owner called me and was telling me about these weird symptoms she has. Thought maybe she got a poison frog of some sort. But the more she talked it kept ringing a bell in my head, I had heard of another dog showing these same symptoms. After a quick call to the first owner.... BINGO! Tetanus!
Dog #2 is now at a Vet and they are hydrating her, flushing her system and have her on antibiotics. However, for some reason they are hesitant to give her the Anti Toxin. U of NC was called and while they have the Anti toxin they are not recommending the treatment for some reason.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... /50715.htm

We'll see how this plays out.... and if anyone has any other information that I can pass on...........

Just a heads up on a very nasty thing our dogs can be exposed to.
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Tetanus in Dogs

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:35 am

from what I understand the tetanus shots and anti toxin do not work for dogs....and with as rare as dogs get tetanus there must be some key thing in the genetics or something...

the few dogs I know over the years that came down with tetanus..antibiotics fluids and keeping the dog in dark quiet places and wait it out is the only way I know of it being treated..it is no fun watching an animal go through tetanus...helped a couple horses go through it also when I used to work for this rancher and helped a vet in cal..again No fun
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:21 am

The first dog I ever heard about with it received the anti toxin and rallied very quickly afterwards. So it has been used, and succesfully. I've done some reading and from that others have also used it with success. However, most of these were several years ago and protocal may have changed.

I suppose everything is genetically related in one way, shape or form.... a propensity for being able to get anything.

I just want others to be aware and to watch for the signs should it ever occur with their dogs. When you see that third eyelid and the weird ear position....get to a good vet and do it quick.

So far the second dog is hanging in there.
Fuzz

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:10 pm

i have treated dogs with the anti-toxin, it helps.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:19 pm

That is great to hear first dog I saw the Vets back then wouldn't give the dog anti toxin...he was under the impression it could kill the dog old time horse vet so not sure why he thought that.

just hear about tetanus in so few dogs..makes you wonder
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:21 pm

yeah, i have only seen it twice in dogs.

buckwildbirddogs

Post by buckwildbirddogs » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:42 pm

had a lab pup that all of a sudden wouldn't eat but became excessivly thirsty. Then developed an altered gait and finally had a seizure like episode and wouldn't get up. Just very lethargic. No labs or exam came back with any answers. Finally the vet said that he could give him the anti-toxin for tetanus...and it would either kill him or he would be better in the morning.

Long story short the shot was given. He lived, was kept in a dark quiet place for 2wks and put on abx as well and he is as good as new.
Bobby & Danielle Meade
Buck Wild Bird Dogs

Dixieland's Buck Wild - GSP Male
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2260
Packman's TipToe N Maggie - GSP Female
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2261
BW's Fancy Rawhide Rebel - GSP Female
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2262
Abby's Ramblin Rose - Brittany Female
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2267

wraphiap

Post by wraphiap » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:52 am

Slight weakness or lack of coordination may be present. The signs may disappear, reflecting an immune response to tetanus toxin or the condition may worsen and spread. If this occurs, the animal's tail is hidden and there will be gradual tightening of the muscles to the point of a bridge appearance. painful seizures occur and the animal may have difficulty breathing. The retraction of eyelids and forehead wrinkles. Ears erect and the animal looks smiling. The animal will have difficulty opening the jaw (lockjaw). Fever, painful urination and constipation may occur.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:58 am

They finally found the wound that allowed the germ (or whatever it is we want to call it) to enter the body. A very small cut near a toe nail. Nail removed, problem area cleaned with some tissue removed. The next day there was marked improvement in the dog. 3 days later, she can eat on her own, ears have relaxed, muscles relaxed.... she is on her way to being back to normal!

They did not treat with any of the anti toxins, just antibiotics. Should this ever happen to one of your dogs, try to find the wound......that appears to be of utmost importance in cure.
Fuzz

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:47 am

I had a catahoula hound when I was in high school that got a tetanus shot (at the vet's recommendation) along with his last round of puppy shots. The pup began having problems two days later, and exhibited classic signs of tetanus. The vet kept denying (over the phone) that it could be tetanus, and at first refused to see the dog, wanting me just to wait and see. I finally just brought the dog in, vet be "bleep". He left one of his staffers on the case, and my pup died the next day. I did, however get a full bill, both for the apparently bad vaccine, and treatment of the disease hat the vet caused. Go figure.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"