Overrun Dog Food

nanney1

Overrun Dog Food

Post by nanney1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:29 am

Was picking up a bag of food at my local feed store and saw some generic white bags. When I asked, I was told that it was an overrun of the various Sunshine Mills products. It was listed as an 18/7 though they said their local rep told them it was actually higher in protein and fat than what was listed. The ingredients listed first were mainly grain by products with meat and bone meal later down the list.

I called the local rep just out of curiosity. He said it was in all likelihood much closer to a 21/10 product as they produce a lot of foods that compete with Purina Dog Chow, Pedigree, and Kibbles and Bits. So, if you open a bag, you might see different kibbles of different colors and shapes that look like those type of products. But it might also include some of their other formulas of higher protein and fat such as their 24/20's, 26/18, and 30/20's. He said they list their lowest protein and fat percentage in case the product is ever tested. He also said they listed the formula of their lowest grade so as not to compete with the other brands.

The lady at the feed store said they sold a lot of it at $10.99 for a 40lb bag.

nanney1

Re: Overrun Dog Food

Post by nanney1 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:34 am

Just found out that the other local feed store in town has a similar product. Overrun mixed bags from The Pride (Hyland Co.). They also list it as an 18% food, but again, it is more likely higher than listed and probably at least a 21/10 food. Noticed it the other day and when I asked about it the lady told me that they sold around a ton per week. They sell theirs in 50lb bags for $12.99 per bag.

Very popular food. Apparently it works as well as anything for the average backyard pet.