Arkat

jiml

Arkat

Post by jiml » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:42 pm

FYI - I hear they changed owners and are making changes to some of their formulas.

Kiki's Mom

Re: Arkat

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:26 pm

They did and they are. Heard they are pulling the corn from the Enhance Endurance formula and kicking the Professional Athlete formula up a notch. Not sure I'm pleased with all this...am told all the changes are for the good and better but for me the jury is out until they prove themselves ..... :(

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:59 pm

I didn't like their last formula change years ago ...left them then
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

fordman

Post by fordman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:42 am

Kiki's Mom wrote:They did and they are. Heard they are pulling the corn from the Enhance Endurance formula and kicking the Professional Athlete formula up a notch. Not sure I'm pleased with all this...am told all the changes are for the good and better but for me the jury is out until they prove themselves ..... :(
How are they kicking it up a notch it already is there premiun food?

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:47 pm

I was told that they were bringing it up an on par with their VF Performance formula both in additions to the ingredient list and the price :( I don;pt know why they can't just leave well enough ALONE???? Been a loyal Arkat customer for almost 3 years now......this change SUCKS

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:54 pm

Why not wait to see what changes before deciding it sucks?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:12 pm

i have been feeding enhance for 4 years or so now and all these changes make me a bit nervous too. i talked to the company sales rep today at a trade show and she assured me the formula changes are for the better, that they will be higher digestable and more nutrition. the one thing she couldnt say is how much the prices will be going up. i didnt care much for the last formula change because i didnt see any difference in the feed except higher prices. i am going to see what the changes are in price and evaluate it then. originally i was told the endurance blend was not available but that is not the case. they are making 2 hunters edge,2 adult, endurance, puppy, pro athlete....the hunters edge and adult will have a basic formula that i was told is similiar to what the feed is now and a ramped up version. i was told it will be out october 16 or around that date sometime. i was told the VF lines wont change much if at all.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:13 pm

Dad's Pet Care bought Arkat. That is probably a good enough reason to switch foods. Real junk. I like the "Farm to the Bowl" slogan.

gdog

Post by gdog » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Not sure what marketing sense it makes to bring the Enhance on level with the VF in regards to contents and price(?)

fordman

Post by fordman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:05 am

So what should I switch to now? This change every year or 2 is getting old, and so are the constat price increases. :x

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:27 am

Most good companies are looking for ways to improve their feed and make changes when something new or better is available. Most of the changes are small and probably not advertised. I sure don't see a problem with that at least till I try it. Think all of us would be greatly dissatisfied if they didn't do that. In ny time with dogs and dog food we have doubled the protein, tripled the fat, and are using many ingredients tht were not available 50 years ago. Change is not a bad thing unless it is in Washington DC and that hasn't worked out to well. :oops:

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:14 am

Change is not a bad thing unless it is in Washington DC and that hasn't worked out to well.
:roll: I hear ya Ezzy!

I was saying that the "change trend" with the food is what sucks, IT WORKS for my dogs as is, not that the change itself will suck. :wink: I'm just nervous is all.....with 20 tummies on the line at any given time any change can throw one or two of them off, which is a given. *shrugs* Like I said before, the jury is out and time will tell.....

I understand that Dad's has been looking for a company to swing them into the Premium dog food market and Arkat was just such a company. They also bought the Back to Basics lines of foods too. This all happened 6-8 months ago now and so far I'm still feeding the Professional Athlete :wink: Just nervous...but hoping that the change will be for the better. Gotta say though that history and my past experience with previous companies/formulas over the years when big "changes" like this have happened have left me in search of a new food again ....*sigh*

It's a circle of chasing ones tail to be sure!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:55 am

I would use the existing position and marketing of Dad's now as a guide to what it will look like a year or two from now. The leverage for Dad's is the vast distribution channel it has via the supermarkets & clubs as welll as its purchasing scale. These things look great on paper but rarely ever work. Premium pet food is much like like other luxury goods. Who wants to buy a $75,000 Jaguar made in India?

The only way to expand into that distribution channel is to cut corners somewhere, whether you intend to or not.

fordman

Post by fordman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:15 am

Looks like Sportmix here I come. :x

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:42 pm

fordman wrote:Looks like Sportmix here I come. :x
I like Sportmix but they just changed most all of their feeds a year or so ago. Think I would stick with whT YOU re feeding till you find out if it works or not. All companies test drive their feeds beforew making the change available to the general public so they are assured it is OK.

And as far as the prices changing that happens to all feeds as the ingredient, fuel, utilities, and labor costs change.

Ezzy

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:14 am

I know your feeling about companies changing owners and maybe dog food formulas. I was not happy when Paul Iams sold his 60+ year company to Proctor Gamble, food hasn't been the same since.
My favorite food, CANiDAE made some changes due to high rice prices. My dog/s didn't notice any difference that I could tell. Now Natura Pet foods (Innova, California Natural, Health Wise, EVO etc.) was sold to Proctor Gamble too. Waiting to see what happens with them.

Until you can actually tell that Arkat has changed their formulas and they don't work for you and your dogs than you can change. Why change if it ain't broke... YET...or maybe not at all.

It is a wait and see game.

LoneOakRet

Post by LoneOakRet » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:25 am

After reading a number of the posts on this thread I thought that it might be fitting to post a reply that addresses some of the issures raised here.

A little less than a year ago, Arkat was purchased by Dad's Pet Care of Meadville, Pennsylvania. Since the company's inception over 77 years ago Dad's main focus has been to provide quality pet foods at a fair price. Therefore, the acquisition of Arkat made sense for a couple of reasons. First, Arkat's facility is second to none in the pet food world, and its purchase gave Dad's the capability to make the most super premium dog food on the market. Second, the existing premium Arkat lines (Enhance and VF Complete) provided Dad's with a couple of established Premium lines that could be taken to the highest level of performance.

Recently the Dad's corporate structure was reorganized, and Ainsworth Pet Nutrition was born. Part of the purpose of this reorganization was to create a business unit separate from Dad's that would be dedicated to advancing the premium legacy brands of Arkat, Enhance and VF Complete, and a couple of existing Dad's lines to the Super Premium level. As a result Ainsworth Specialty Brands was created.

As a member of the Enhance Pro Staff I have been involved in discussions regarding the evolution of the brand for the last several months, and I can assure you that the goal has been to advance the quality of the Enhance Brand, not degrade it. The revised line up of Enhance products will be revealed on October 18. While I am not at liberty to "let the cat out of the bag" prior to that announcement, I can assure you that the evolved line delivers a number of more premium foods. I can also tell you that it provides nutritional solutions over a broad range of prices.

I also know that Ainsworth is working hard to make the Enhance brand more widely available. While the company remains committed to an intense focus on traditional Farm and Feed outlets, they also realize that they have to work to make the product available in all markets. After all, it doesn't do any good to make the best dog foods on the market at the best prices if no one can find them on the shelf.

I promise you that no one in the gun dog community was more apprehensive about the company changing hands than I was. However, after getting to know the company leaders and watching the evolution of the product I can tell you for certain that this buyout was a good thing. I am very proud to be working with these folks to improve both the quality and integrity of the brand.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to call me at any time.

Sincerely,
J. Paul Jackson
Owner, Lone Oak Retrievers
Host, Drake's Migration Nation
Proud Member of Enhance Pro Staff

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:53 pm

Welcome to board J! Thanks for the post/explanantion and I for one am looking forward to all that we discussed this afternoon. Still looking to hear more about the evolution of the pro side of things :mrgreen: w :mrgreen: as well as a fair representation of all GUN dogs on the pro staff...not just you retriever guys :D :D

The Enhance Line as well as the Professional Athlete needs visabilty and what better way to get that then to have those of us that use it with good success to have a way to share that with our fellow competitors, clients and puppy owners????

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:53 pm

i debated switching from proplan shredded blend a few months back and decided to wait until reading this thread and doing a little research. I was certain I was gonna switch to enhance hunters edge .25$ for 40 or 50#s(cant remember now) but now i guess im gonna wait to see if that price is gonna change and if so how much.proplan is about 40$ for 35#s sometimes a few dollars cheaper if on sale.oh well,guess im gonna wait to see if the change would be cost effective or not.

bossman

Post by bossman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Mr Jackson...Thank you for your outstanding contribution and explination. I am sure many of us will be looking to Oct 18 with some anticipation. I think all many are saying is that we just look for a quality dog food at a fair price. I think many people have just gotten skeptical because of recent experience's. You had that whole "Exceed thing". Eukanuba just keeps getting more expensive and, in my opinion, has deteriorated in quality. I know of atleast two successful Shorthair trainers that use the feed. It will be interesting to see if they "stick". I really don't care where a Jaguar is made, as long as I get a quaily product. Good luck and thanks again for your contribution.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:13 am

http://www.kibbleselectcomplete.com/pro ... t-original

I believe this food is in the Dad's family and looks to be positioned as a Premium Brand. Walmart sell its for $1lb and Wegman's for $1.25 lb.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:30 am

mcbosco wrote:http://www.kibbleselectcomplete.com/pro ... t-original

I believe this food is in the Dad's family and looks to be positioned as a Premium Brand. Walmart sell its for $1lb.
How do you tell how a dog food is positioned? And where is the list of Premium feeds? I have been curious about this for some time and this is a good example. I just don't see anything that gives me a clue as to positioning or what makes up a premium feed.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:11 am

ezzy333 wrote:

I believe this food is in the Dad's family and looks to be positioned as a Premium Brand. Walmart sell its for $1lb.
How do you tell how a dog food is positioned? And where is the list of Premium feeds? I have been curious about this for some time and this is a good example. I just don't see anything that gives me a clue as to positioning or what makes up a premium feed.

Ezzy

Well aside from the slick artwork, language & website, its says it right on the bag and on the website.

"When it comes to premium dog food, the words tasty and healthy are no longer mutually exclusive. With Kibble Select Complete, our specially formulated canine cuisine is rich in flavor and loaded with healthful antioxidants – providing your dog with the perfect combination of great taste and great nutrition"

"wholesome grain, beef, chicken, vegetable, fruit and cheese"

It is pretty easy to tell the company markets this as a high-end "gourmet" product. I guess it is for the consumer to decide.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:39 am

mcbosco wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy

Well aside from the slick artwork, language & website, its says it right on the bag and on the website.

"When it comes to premium dog food, the words tasty and healthy are no longer mutually exclusive. With Kibble Select Complete, our specially formulated canine cuisine is rich in flavor and loaded with healthful antioxidants – providing your dog with the perfect combination of great taste and great nutrition"

"wholesome grain, beef, chicken, vegetable, fruit and cheese"

It is pretty easy to tell the company markets this as a high-end "gourmet" product. I guess it is for the consumer to decide.
Yep think you are right so why don't we just let them decide without our input since we have no experience with the feed, the results of feeding it, and practically no knowledge of the quality or the marketing strategy of the manufacturer. What we do have is our own, often bias, opinion based on reading a list of ingredients and our opinion of the company selling the feed.

Ezzy

kumate

Post by kumate » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:58 pm

I have never tried this food or heard of this food for that matter. But this ingrediant list looks like garbage. There are many who are of the school of thought that grains are a healthy addition, but very few that think that grains should make up the majority of the feed. If this feed is any indicator of a premium dads feed, i wouldnt even consider it. It looks like old roy red bag only worse. Of course this is IMHO

Jerry

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:14 pm

I would never have put up that post but for the price. $1 - $1.25 a lb is shameful. I am suprised Wegman's would even carry that stuff.

Of course others might disagree.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Postby mcbosco » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:13 am
http://www.kibbleselectcomplete.com/pro ... t-original

I believe this food is in the Dad's family and looks to be positioned as a Premium Brand. Walmart sell its for $1lb and Wegman's for $1.25 lb.
You are kidding? $1.25/lb. I wouldn't pay .25/lb for this......
Ground Yellow Corn, Soybean Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Whole Wheat, Beef Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with BHA), Water, Corn Gluten Meal, Propylene Glycol, Beef, Chicken, Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Peas, Apple Pomace, Brewers Rice, Potassium Sorbate (a preservative), Calcium Carbonate, Iron Oxide, Carboxymethyl Cellulose, Titanium Dioxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Cheese Powder, Zinc Sulfate, Artificial Color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Blue 2), Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Glyceryl Monostearate, Garlic, Niacin, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Suppplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadi- one Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Folic Acid.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:15 pm

just got the prices for the new arkat feeds.... looks like i am switching foods....prices went through the roof......

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:34 pm

Sprig wrote:just got the prices for the new arkat feeds.... looks like i am switching foods....prices went through the roof......
Care to elaborate on the price or are you not at liberty to do so as a dealer?

Thanks

fordman

Post by fordman » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:34 am

I would also like to see those prices, pro athlete was 33$ a month back I need more, now what? :evil:

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:31 pm

Sprig wrote:just got the prices for the new arkat feeds.... looks like i am switching foods....prices went through the roof......
can you say how much the increase is?
would be helpful

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:28 am

If anyone wants pricing info they can PM me.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:39 pm

the pricing will be different in different parts of the country due to shipping but some of the arkat feeds went up about $8 per bag around these parts, making them close to the same price as the VF line

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:48 pm

lvrgsp wrote:
Care to elaborate on the price or are you not at liberty to do so as a dealer?

Thanks
Since it looks like I am switching I wont get into actual prices and let those planning on selling the product do that.

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:53 pm

I chose to try native again.
level 2 and a slower change over should be fine.

bossman

Post by bossman » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:21 pm

Any updates regarding the details of the change?

shets114

Post by shets114 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:06 pm

The temporary Enhance website is up and running, it still has some additional information to come but will provide the basic ingredient information. Make sure to enter your email for additional info and promotions at the top of the page. More good things to come.

http://www.enhance3022.com/index.php

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:33 pm

Did I see the weight right 42 lb bags on the enhance basics

When we first used Arkat that was one of the selling features for us a dog food our dogs did well on clean up was in a normal range and 50 lb bags
they changed the formula kennel clean up doubled that is when we left...
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:12 am

Yes the Hunters Edge Basic is a 42# bag.

In the past two years Arkat offered a 40# bag and a 50# bag. In most areas across the country the 40# bag was the primary seller.

There are those that prefer one or the other but for efficiency and price it is necessary to make decissions. The food still feeds as well in a 42# bag as it does in a 50# bag.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:57 am

I dont mind the change in the food as far as ingredients, that goes without saying I dont know the exact change of the price either, and last I knew there was no local dealer available in my area, any way to pull up a dealer distrubution for the central illinois area, thats my problem with some of these feed companies, it's the availability in the states I travel in.

Thanks,
Chip

fordman

Post by fordman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:30 am

Looks to me like the are going the way of Purina smaller bags more money, :evil: I always like the #50 better.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:28 am

I would say the changes made in ingredients and the formulation change along with the expansion of the Arkansas facility would be a bigger reason for the price increase as opposed to the bag size. But I agree #50 bags would be nicem I hope with all the money they just sunk into that facility they will broaden there distribution. Same goes with Annamaet they have nothing close to me.

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:01 pm

I usually buy 8 to 10, 50lbs bags at a time and its almost time to buy again. But it looks like I will be looking for a new food. This really upsets me cause I have been very happy with it. My wife has a Lab that has allergies and does very well on hunters edge. I feed my GSP's this during the summer and switch to the Pro Athlete during the trial and hunting season.
Any good suggestions?
Sprig what are you going to carry?

shets114

Post by shets114 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:47 pm

Why not try the new formula, see if you like it and make an educated decision off your findings?

He Likes it, Hey Mikey

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:23 pm

I will stick with it through this hunting season and report my findings.

fordman

Post by fordman » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:58 am

shets114 wrote:Why not try the new formula, see if you like it and make an educated decision off your findings?

He Likes it, Hey Mikey
Because the price is going UP and the bag is getting Smaller! :x

shets114

Post by shets114 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:18 pm

If you can find a better product for the price than you made the right decision. In some cases though you may find it just as good and cost comparible.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:19 pm

With the exception of a good insider I have not seen or heard of a price per bag yet? I talked to an Arkat dealer today and they could not give me a definate answer yet other than dealer prices may vary.....So anyone have a price to bag yet, or are we speculating all this? I know prices are going up on some items not all

Chip

fordman

Post by fordman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:52 am

shets114 wrote:If you can find a better product for the price than you made the right decision. In some cases though you may find it just as good and cost comparible.
It looks like you are there Rep? If so give us some prices. :lol: :lol:

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:29 am

From my understanding the Hunters Edge Basic with pork meal in a #42 bag should stay the same price, with the HE Premium, and Endurance jumping up.
Of course dealers vary but thats what I was told from a distributor for them yesterday....