Pano

nanney1

Pano

Post by nanney1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:32 am

I have a 7 month old male mixed breed puppy that I suspect has a slight case of Pano. From what I've read, there are several courses of action. Do nothing and let it pass, decrease the amount of food slightly, switch to a food with lower protein and fat levels. Add buffered aspirin, and/or vitamin C to his food. Increase his rest and restrict exercise, etc.... And again, do nothing and just let it run its course, and watch to see if it switches to the other leg or passes with time.

He is currently on a 26/18 adult food, though I could easily switch to an adult maintenance food in the 21% protein level. Any thoughts?

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Pano

Post by snips » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:04 am

I certainly would not take him down more in Protein...Just give anti-inflammatories and wait it out, IMP. We had one here and it came and went for 2-3 mo...Now he is fine.
brenda

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:56 am

I WOULD switch the food, but not to the adult maint. that you mentioned. 26% protein seems to the magic number for growing puppies, in that it is at the very bottom end for some issues (Skin coat muscle) and the very high end for other troubles (Bone and joint). The fat level is t0o high, though, should keep it under 14%. And be sure to check the calcium/ phos ratio and if there are no values for those minerals switch to a company that checks and maintains specific amounts. Too much of both is trouble, and too much phos relative to the amount of calcium is big trouble.
And good luck finding a food that fits that. :evil: stupid manufactures are making more and more puppy foods, even large breed, with 30 + percent protein and way too much fat. A good high quality adult maint. that has 26% protein, but is lower fat, lists the proper cal/phos, and ideally has glucosamine and chondroitin would be what I would feed. Last time I look Nutro Ultra large breed adult was in all those, but they changed their formula.
The vitamin C thing is based on studies with massive supplements. Use a veterinarian if you do that, because the dose increases over certain intervals.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:16 am

Also, an aside... You mention it's mixed breed. And so I drag out my soap box and climb on. I wish more people with mixed breeds would take the dog into the vet for these issues simply for documentation if nothing else. Seems alot of people have this notion that mixed breed dogs don't get these joint issues, and genetic growth trouble. And yet I see alot of small mixed "designer" breeds with terrible growth issues. Had a deformity causing trouble walking that came in sunday. A "Shorkie-poo" :roll: :roll: :roll: REALLY? by the time you get to three different breeds it's a mutt. Maybe a much loved, smart great dog, but call it what it is. :roll: Sorry for the vent and thread diversions... stepping off...

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:33 pm

Had pano a couple years ago with a pup around 11 mos old. Vet never even asked about food, and pup was doing great otherwise. He gave us anti-inflammatory pills (Rimadyl) for as-needed usage. Told us not to worry too much about routine exercise, since it wasn't an injury based limp, and about 4-5 months later she was over it. That being said, he did several range of movement type tests, and I had documented the limp switching legs...so he was fairly sure what we were dealing with.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:43 pm

What breeds of dog is this?

You suspect Pano? Does the dog have a fever? What signs does it have?

There are other joint diseases in growing pups that can cause the pain of Pano.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:29 am

CherrystoneWeims wrote:What breeds of dog is this?

You suspect Pano? Does the dog have a fever? What signs does it have?

There are other joint diseases in growing pups that can cause the pain of Pano.

Quite possibly a Boxer/Pointer or maybe a Boxer/Coonhound. That's what he looks to be. However, based on his size at this point, he could be an American Bulldog or American Bulldog mix. Who knows. He's just over 7 months old, probably 22 inches at the shoulder (23 inches at the rump) and around 75 lbs. Big, thick puppy. His overall conformation isn't good. Straight shoulders and very little rear angulation. His neck has thickened and his head is growing, adding weight to the front and causing him to be somewhat front-loaded. Because he's straight in the front and rear, and higher in the rear than the front, getting up is somewhat difficult for him. He chest also seems to be widening out (think of those wide-chested American Bulldogs) which futher complicates his already weird conformation issues.

The limping went away over the weekend but seems to have returned now later in the week.