Heat Cycle?

Heat Cycle?

Post by 1114 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:47 am

Any idea what age range I should expect my GSP to come into heat for the first time? I'm weighing my options on the optimal time to spay her. Vet recommends 8 months, I think the longer you can wait the better. That said, I've never been through a heat cycle with any dog and have no idea what to expect. Any info/opinions/etc. is appreciated...

MikeB

Re: Heat Cycle?

Post by MikeB » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:01 am

Your bitch could come into her first season anytime between 8 months to 12 months of age. When she is in heat, you need to keep her locked up so no other males can get to her. Her scent will attract male dogs you don't even know are around you. Easy to do if you live in a home with an enclosed back yard. Hard to do if you live in the country area with wide open spaces and no place to keep her safe. I would wait untill after 18 months or two heats to spay your bitch. Better for her developemnt. You can google the subject for more info.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

My dog's littermate who belongs to a friend did not come into heat until she was 14m old. Sometimes it depends on the condition of the dog. She was very fit and really thin which can delay their cycle.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:11 pm

what MikeB said. Even if your yard is fenced in males have a way of going over very high fences if they think the reward is worth it.

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:17 pm

There is a lot of research data that shows that it is better for the health of the dog to wait until she is fully mature before spaying her.

check out these articles before spaying your dog:
http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&oe=UTF-8

Here is an excerpt form CanineSports:
(1) A study of 1444 Golden Retrievers performed in 1998 and 1999 also found bitches and dogs spayed and neutered at less than a year of age were significantly taller than those spayed or neutered at more than a year of age.(2) The sex hormones, by communicating with a number of other growth-related hormones, promote the closure of the growth plates at puberty (3), so the bones of dogs or bitches neutered or spayed before puberty continue to grow. Dogs that have been spayed or neutered well before puberty can frequently be identified by their longer limbs, lighter bone structure, narrow chests and narrow skulls. This abnormal growth frequently results in significant alterations in body proportions and particularly the lengths (and therefore weights) of certain bones relative to others. For example, if the femur has achieved its genetically determined normal length at 8 months when a dog gets spayed or neutered, but the tibia, which normally stops growing at 12 to 14 months of age continues to grow, then an abnormal angle may develop at the stifle. In addition, with the extra growth,
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:30 pm

Crate her if you need to when she comes in heat... let her go thru that first cycle before spaying. First heat is commonly between 8 and 15 months in my experience. That heat cycle triggers hormones that tell the bones when to stop growing...