Pro Pac High Performance

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Pro Pac High Performance

Post by mcbosco » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:27 pm

So, after just feeding the dog tonight, I asked my son to remind my wife to pick up dog food this week at the kennel. He said why the farm delivered dog food yesterday. I said What?, the farm was supposed to deliver salt for the water conditioner. Well the farm messed up the order and now I have 33lbs of Pro Pac High Performance in the pantry.

Any good?

MikeB

Re: Pro Pac High Performance

Post by MikeB » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:35 pm

What were you feeding? What breed of dogs do you have?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:22 am

Mix it in with what you are feeding now and it'll be gone. In one 33 lb bag, you might be able to tell if it doesn't agree with your dog, but it isn't enough to tell if it is marginally better than something that does agree with him.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:18 am

Nothing bothers his stomach so I am sure he will adjust fine. That is the same company that makes Sportmix. They said to keep it for messing up the salt order.

Looks basic, high calorie, nothing horrible in it, naturally preserved.

I will give it a whirl.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:16 am

So it is about two weeks since I started using my free bag of Pro Pac High Performance, 30/20, 575 calories per 4 ounces by weight. Pretty caloric food. It usually goes for $32.99 delivered, 33lbs. 10th bag is free and coupons are plentiful.

Went cold turkey and I noticed no change at all in stools. Dark brown, no fowl odor, no soft end and no exercise-related soft poops. No palatibility issues and he seems very comfortable eating it. No unusual drinking and no kibble slime on the gums. Kibble size is appropriate for a large dog.

As far as weight goes, no change on 3 cups, he is about 93lbs.

The company told me that protein from chicken meal is 75-80% of total protein, which is a very solid level, and because it is exported to Europe the grade of chicken meal is "best quality" since it has to be from chickens that at some point were fit for human consumption. Grade of corn is a mix of #1 & #2, non-gmo. There are no artificial preservatives and minerals are proteinated. There are no gluten meals.

Sportmix which is also made by the company is not made in the same plant, but Earthborn is.

To be honest I have nothing negative to say about this product. It is not a cheap product but at 3 cups a day, 12 ounces, the bag will last 44 days and that is pretty good for a large dog. Too early to comment on skin & coat.

peteymit

Post by peteymit » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm curious to know what you mean by "exercise-related soft poops"? My dog poops about 10 or 15 minutes into hunting seemingly every time we go out. And from what I've noticed, it tends to be a little softer than normal. Is this indicative of something with his food?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:56 pm

peteymit wrote:I'm curious to know what you mean by "exercise-related soft poops"? My dog poops about 10 or 15 minutes into hunting seemingly every time we go out. And from what I've noticed, it tends to be a little softer than normal. Is this indicative of something with his food?

Not really. Dog try to empty out before running hard. Thats why we don't feed before and they will empty the intestines as best they can and because they do this prematurily it will practically always be softer and lighter colored. Just a sign that there is more water still in it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:49 pm

I'm curious to know what you mean by "exercise-related soft poops"?
My dog does this. He goes for a run every night after I get home. First 1-2 poops are fine, the rest are very soft to liquid. He has an issue with pooping in my fenced large dog pen in the morning. he waits until evening and sometimes poops 2-6 (the record) times. But...if we are on the road, traveling to shows and he is not getting a good run, stools are fine.

So--Max does have "exercise related soft poops. No question.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pm

mcbosco wrote:To be honest I have nothing negative to say about this product. It is not a cheap product but at 3 cups a day, 12 ounces, the bag will last 44 days and that is pretty good for a large dog. Too early to comment on skin & coat.
I've been feeding Pro Pac High Performance since the Exceed fiasco and I have been extremely happy with it. I am paying $.70/lb and the dogs are currently eating 4 cups/day now that cooler weather and hunting season have arrived. The dog's skin, coat, and overall health is outstanding, and their stools stayed solid for a 5-day Dakota hunt.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:54 pm

When you say 70 cents is that net of coupons and the free 10th bag?

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:10 am

mcbosco wrote:When you say 70 cents is that net of coupons and the free 10th bag?
I haven't done the math regarding the free 10th bag, so actually, I am paying less than that.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:47 pm

So...I have tried Pro Pac High Perf with Max after talking to McB about how his dog does on it. I can order it through my local Agway and it is cheap. Max is picky and borders on too thin most of the time.

Formerly Max was on Evo and not gaining weight and also having a lot of soft stool. After 2 weeks on Pro Pac, Max has gained almost 1# and his stools are firm. Also--- No gas. That is a plus for this boy. He definitely uses this food much better than he does Evo. Both feeds are 550-575 kcals/cup.

Now, my 12 yr old girl is on Orijen and maintains a nice thin weight.She is healthy as can be and will stay on Orijen.

2 dogs- 2 different types of food. Before i was biased towards the GF feeds. Now I am open to non-GF food. Pro Pac is cheap and the ingredients seems to be pretty simple. Jen

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:15 am

jlp8cornell wrote:So...I have tried Pro Pac High Perf with Max after talking to McB about how his dog does on it. I can order it through my local Agway and it is cheap. Max is picky and borders on too thin most of the time.

Formerly Max was on Evo and not gaining weight and also having a lot of soft stool. After 2 weeks on Pro Pac, Max has gained almost 1# and his stools are firm. Also--- No gas. That is a plus for this boy. He definitely uses this food much better than he does Evo. Both feeds are 550-575 kcals/cup.

Now, my 12 yr old girl is on Orijen and maintains a nice thin weight.She is healthy as can be and will stay on Orijen.

2 dogs- 2 different types of food. Before i was biased towards the GF feeds. Now I am open to non-GF food. Pro Pac is cheap and the ingredients seems to be pretty simple. Jen

How is his monkey?

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:26 am

How is his monkey?
It's still alive although in need of some reconstructive surgery.
IMG_4715.jpg
IMG_4718.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kumate

Post by kumate » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:24 pm

Jen, how many cups are you feeding? On a different note do you have any vid clips of your cd legs or rally?

Jerry

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:13 pm

Hey Jerry:

Food: I am feeding 1.5 cups AM and PM. Honestly could not keep weight on Max before. He was hip bone showing all of the time. Now he looks great. Still skinny but looks really good.

Wish I had video on the shows but I do not. Probably bc we are so tweaked going in the ring we forget to tape it. For his CD, in Novice B he had scores of 193, 196 and 192. He got a Front and Finish Gold medal excellence award because he had scores in the 190s and in the first 3 straight trials. I was so proud. He had 2 placements in Nov B. CD done in 3 days- proud mom.

All titles were finished in 3 straight trials. Funny bc Rally was not as pretty as obedience. He was a tad wild in the ring but...did OK. Still had placements. 2011--hopefully some hunt test titles . CDX this summer I hope.

Jen
Last edited by jlp8cornell on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:14 pm

mcbosco wrote:So, after just feeding the dog tonight, I asked my son to remind my wife to pick up dog food this week at the kennel. He said why the farm delivered dog food yesterday. I said What?, the farm was supposed to deliver salt for the water conditioner. Well the farm messed up the order and now I have 33lbs of Pro Pac High Performance in the pantry.

Any good?
Ok, so that 33lb bag lasted 6 weeks. Weight up about 2lbs on 3 cups per day. On bag #2.

Not a poop out of place. Coat, skin great. Ears clear and dry. Teeth just as clean as before.

At just under a $1 lb, seems like a very good deal.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:23 pm

mcbosco wrote:
mcbosco wrote:So, after just feeding the dog tonight, I asked my son to remind my wife to pick up dog food this week at the kennel. He said why the farm delivered dog food yesterday. I said What?, the farm was supposed to deliver salt for the water conditioner. Well the farm messed up the order and now I have 33lbs of Pro Pac High Performance in the pantry.

Any good?
Ok, so that 33lb bag lasted 6 weeks. Weight up about 2lbs on 3 cups per day. On bag #2.

Not a poop out of place. Coat, skin great. Ears clear and dry. Teeth just as clean as before.

Think this is the results most of have had feeding a good dry kibble. Not a think surprising about it. If you care to, you can even do it a lot cheaper than that but if you have it you might as well spend it.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:48 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
mcbosco wrote:

Any good?

Think this is the results most of have had feeding a good dry kibble. Not a think surprising about it. If you care to, you can even do it a lot cheaper than that but if you have it you might as well spend it.

Ezzy
Oh I do. :D But not like the State of Illinois. How do you keep your sanity knowing the state spends twice as much as it takes in?
Last edited by mcbosco on Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:00 pm

One of my pet peeves are the companies that have changed the weight of the bags to 33#, 44# etc. Why not stay with 50# , 40#, or 20#. Burns my butt, and I consider it insulting. I know their reason, and it irks the heck out of me! Is it just me? :x
big steve

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:21 pm

big steve46 wrote:One of my pet peeves are the companies that have changed the weight of the bags to 33#, 44# etc. Why not stay with 50# , 40#, or 20#. Burns my butt, and I consider it insulting. I know their reason, and it irks the heck out of me! Is it just me? :x

Sportmix 24/20 formula went from 50 pounds to 55 pound bags. I like that kind of change and the price stayed the same, 21.00

Mo

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:00 am

Maurice wrote:
big steve46 wrote:One of my pet peeves are the companies that have changed the weight of the bags to 33#, 44# etc. Why not stay with 50# , 40#, or 20#. Burns my butt, and I consider it insulting. I know their reason, and it irks the heck out of me! Is it just me? :x

Sportmix 24/20 formula went from 50 pounds to 55 pound bags. I like that kind of change and the price stayed the same, 21.00

Mo
--------

That's better, even though it's still just an incentive to buy. They should have just lowered their price on 50#, although what they did was probably just temporary. The other way of lowering the weight is more deceptive.
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:05 pm

Hard to believe but an awful lot of people ask for the 40 or even 30 pound bags because the 50's are to heavy for them to handle. I don't think most people have any idea how much extra those smaller bags cost you.

Ezzy

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:50 am

Big Steve,
Man do I agree with you, the 50 LB bag was just fine with me, in fact at one time Exceed gave an extra 5 lb, so you got 55 lbs for very reasonable money.
Man those were the days.
RGD/Dave