Dam Ticks???

GL

Dam Ticks???

Post by GL » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:53 am

Very bad year here and driving me nuts!

My dog gets her monthly Frontline+ and all is fine at home. Now that we are in the woods and hunting regularly I am completely perplexed. We are in Lyme country here in SE NY and the ticks are the tiny black/brown ones. Yesterday when we got to the truck I took over 20 ticks off the top of her coat and many more could not be easily seen for removal. I gave her a bath as soon as we got home and spent hours picking them off her. Found a few more on her today but only one was stuck and it was dead.

My question; Can I use a tick bath in conjunction with her monthly dose of Frontline +? I need something instant to bathe her with upon arriving home so the ticks die and don't drop off in the house, car or yard. Any Suggestions of products that work well?

Is there a spray of some kind I could use before we go hunting that would keep them from getting on her? I have considered deep woods off or some other sprays but I fear doing this until I hear from experts here.

The Frontline + seems to be doing it's job at killing them however they hitch a ride on her for a while and I don't want them dropping off here at home and establishing like they are in my hunting woods. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you

Gary

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Dam Ticks???

Post by mcbosco » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:00 am

Switch to Advantix that might help repel them. Thankfully the season has been very light for two years now in NJ. We still have not had a frost and I dont see one for at least another 2 weeks, maybe.

Both ticks and fleas do not like acid. I know many people that spray their dogs down with 50/50 apple cider vinegar before they go out. Can't hurt.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:37 am

I quit using Frontline when I had a dog come down with Lyme even with applying year round. I was finding ticks that were dead but were attached. Tried Advantix on a couple of the dogs and one had reaction to it so I'm only used Preventic collars right now and have not found any ticks. I read about the apple cider vinegar, may give it a try at some point.

GL

Post by GL » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:15 am

Not to argue but; Advantics, Frontline, Frontline+ and a few others here all seem to have their proponents and detractors. I don't have an issue with the FL+ I have been using and feel like it works just fine. Where it and I suspect most of the others fall short is in the repellent department. Ticks still get on the dogs but they usually don't stay or they die. I guess I consider them as second stage applications that work after the critter gets on. What I need is a first stage repellent that stinks enough so the critters don't even bother hitching a ride and/or a shampoo that will kill the ones that do instantly.

Just to even the bases, my hunting buddy uses Advantics and raves about how well it works. His dog had just as many ticks as mine when we get back to the trucks so he was not too impressed any more either.

I will try the apple cider vinegar as it seems to be fairly benign and I hope it works. I still need a good tick shampoo for when we get home as I refuse to have these critters walking on us. Actually, it is my wife who blows a fuse when she picks one off her and she would ground me from taking the dog hunting if she could.

I think it is pretty bad when you can look at the white patches on your dog and count 20 tiny ticks trying to dive in.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:30 am

I used to feel the same way about ticks but decided loading the dog up with chemicals was not a good solution because it didn't really work on ticks.

Lyme risk is small, particulary this time of year, and easily treatable. The biggest risk, small still, is the spring when the Nymph Deer Tick is too small to see. This time of year they are Adults and much larger and you can get them off.

Even if your dog is bitten by an infected tick the chance of it coming down with Lyme is about 3.5%. Even the worst areas of the Northeast less than 50% of Deer Ticks are even infected, so statistically the risk is 1.75%.

I use Frontline and look for symptoms. I don't even vaccinate for Lyme and I have never had a dog test positive let alone show Lyme symptoms.

ACV seems to work but needs to be sprayed on just before you are out. Rub it in with a paper towel. Smells yummy but the dog might drool for a few minutes.

sully511

Post by sully511 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:08 pm

If you use a flea/tick shampoo it will strip off the Frontline, or that is what the drug reps tell you anyway. I really like the idea of the apple cider vinegar, although I bet the dogs smell pickled for awhile after using it :)

GL

Post by GL » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:11 pm

sully511 wrote:If you use a flea/tick shampoo it will strip off the Frontline, or that is what the drug reps tell you anyway. I really like the idea of the apple cider vinegar, although I bet the dogs smell pickled for awhile after using it :)
Yea Sully, smelling pickled will be a pleasant odor considering some of the stinks she finds to roll in! :cry: She is a gorgeous little gal but let me tell you, she finds some of the foulest, funky stuff in the woods and is very proud to wear it.

I use bug repellent with 95% deet around my boots and socks but I don't dare use it on her.

Gary

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:00 am

Buy Brags ACV, it smells the best and its the good stuff. You can even put a tablespoon on the dogs food, helps with bad breath.

The other benefit of using it is that the dogs really shine up and the nice smell lasts a few days.

I think the big bottle is about $3. We use it at home on salads too.

GL

Post by GL » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:26 am

What is Brags ACV?

If it is just for perfume I can tell you for sure it won't help. She is perfectly fine and odor free while at home and in her yard. Only when she gets in the woods will she find some nasty, dead and stinking funk to roll in.

The only thing that will work after that is a full blown bath. I have had dogs all my life and some roll in funk while others don't. I don't understand it and I can't stop it with this one. She acts as though she found a bottle of Chanell #5 and just has to get in it.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:13 am

Bragg's is just a brand of better quality ACV thats available in stores. We have it at home because we use it for a lot of things for the family, bbq sauce especially.

If you spray the dog down till she is wet and rub her down with a towel she will clean up real nice. Nothing replaces a hot bath but this works really well. Vinegar is a good cleaner.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:35 am

Only when she gets in the woods will she find some nasty, dead and stinking funk to roll in.
Mine do the same thing. I keep baby wipes in the car and use them and hand sanitizer to clean them up before they go home. It is incredible how hard it is to get rid of some of the stuff they roll in. My old girl is the queen of rolling in all things bad. Luckily the GSP is the most untalented roller I have seen. Bad bad technique. LOL.

A friend just bought me this product. Another thing to throw in the car. Almost smells like it has cedar oil in it.
http://www.gundogsupply.com/speed-bath- ... ealth.html

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:46 am

GL- Another thought...

I went to a talk at my obedience club on Lyme's Disease last night. Application of the product can account for some of the ineffectiveness. 1) Even though the package says you can bathe your dog 24 or 48 hrs after---you should not bathe you dog 3 days before or 3 days after applying the product. The meds are transported via the oil in the dogs coat so if you strip the oils before or after, the product is much less effective. 2) I understand Frontline says to apply the product on the shoulders. With Advantix, the instructions are to apply in doses down the back. The vet that was lecturing said that if the product is applied only to the front end of the dog, that is the only place it is effective. I spot the Advantix from the base of the head to the tail.

The gist of the lecture is that Lymes affects dogs in different ways. That even while on preventative or if vaccinated, they still can contract the disease. However, like McBosco said, of all the dogs affected, <5% are actually symptomatic. And, if you have a dog that is showing signs, you treat with doxy for 1 month- cheap and easy. Most dogs never have issues and I believe it is a VERY small fraction of affected dogs that actually develop renal disease.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:55 am

Less than 5% are symptomatic that have been bitten by infected ticks. Some people might live an an area where only 10% of the ticks are carriers, so the probability is 1/2 of 1%.

All I am saying is don't let it rule your life.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:16 am

Some people might live an an area where only 10% of the ticks are carriers
In Tompkins County in NY where I live, at least 33% of the ticks are affected. We have a high rate which the researchers here think possibly is due to the large population of squirrels. And as I said, <5% of dogs with Lyme's disease actually show symptoms meaning......it is not a big worry.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:36 pm

Hey Jen

point me to the Tompkins county data on % affected with the spirochete and where the sampling was done?
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:41 pm

Hey Frank- I will get it from the vet who lectured IDTC last night and email it to you..Data from the clinical and parasitology researchers here.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:43 pm

thanks

what took you so long to respond LOL
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:52 pm

LOL- I emailed her. Will talk later...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:18 pm

I don't hate ticks because of Lyme's. I hate ticks becuse they are ticks. And there are a lot of diseases they can carry if just hateing them in not good enough.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GL

Post by GL » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:00 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I don't hate ticks because of Lyme's. I hate ticks becuse they are ticks. And there are a lot of diseases they can carry if just hateing them in not good enough.

Ezzy
I am with you Ezzy and rank ticks right up there with Vampires, Politicians and Lawyers!

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:44 pm

GL wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:I don't hate ticks because of Lyme's. I hate ticks becuse they are ticks. And there are a lot of diseases they can carry if just hateing them in not good enough.

Ezzy
I am with you Ezzy and rank ticks right up there with Vampires, Politicians and Lawyers!

i hate ticks too, but why insult them?? :D

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:16 pm

I spray the dogs with Bronco horse and dog spray for flys before entering the field, works great to keep ticks and chiggers off the dogs unless the grass is real wet or its raining, the only down side it washes off real easy ..other than that it works really well , its cheap like 6 bucks for a large bottle and doesnt bad smell either , spray them good once lasts about 3 days then have to respray them, I usually do it ever time we enter the field ticks and chiggers are horrible here in southern nj ...I get it at tractor supply..I know frontline makes a spray too But i never tried it ...

GL

Post by GL » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:03 am

I was out yesterday and gave her a good spray down with the 50/50 ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) before she hit the field. Unlike the situation on Monday where I took close to 50 deer ticks off her, this time I found only 3 ticks on her and they were on the top of her coat looking for a way off rather than trying to burrow in.

I'll give a big thumbs up to the ACV and she did not seem to mind it at all.

Gary

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:06 am

Well lets hope that success continues. :D

GL

Post by GL » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:50 am

mcbosco wrote:Well lets hope that success continues. :D
Agreed! Chemicals we can eat are a much better alternative than any of the others as long as they show a good result. There is also the fact that she smells like a salad instead of what she usually finds while out there. :D

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:48 pm

I was out yesterday with my EP and took about 8 or 10 ticks off her... today I found another that was stuck pretty good but seemed dead. I pinched and twisted but part of the head came off. :cry: Can't get into the vet till monday morning... have any of you delt with this??? :oops: They are really bad this year!
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:45 pm

lived in Tompkins county NY for 15 years never pulled a tick off a dog!! Frontline only.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:54 pm

northern cajun that's good... unfourtunately my initial reaction to finding another tick was to pull it off. Ain't I the stupid one... I was hoping for some help tho' ... not being called out further for my mistake. :roll: I use Frontline also... and in the last year I've pulled more ticks off this dog than I did in my 14 1/2 previous years with my old lab... I guess it came up short for me.
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

GL

Post by GL » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:42 am

Get a good tweezers and remove the remaining head your self. I clean it out with peroxide and then a dab of triple antibiotic ointment.

Just my opinion here but I would be more concerned the dog could be exposed to much worse at the vets office than what it has now.

Laura142

Post by Laura142 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:38 pm

I live in the Catskills of NY we have a lot of ticks also I us a newer product called Vectra 3D. I feel it work better the fl but I also put DE (diatomaceous earth) powder on her before the hunt. It kills ticks and fleas when it comes in contact with it because it cuts the outer body. It is sold at pool stores and now some pet stores, I is safe and effective.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:59 am

GL wrote:Very bad year here and driving me nuts!

My dog gets her monthly Frontline+ and all is fine at home. I gave her a bath as soon as we got home
Giving her a bath is quite likely to reduce some of the effectiveness of Frontline. I realize it sinks into the fur, but.. it is waterproof but not soapproof. No reason you can't apply a little more frequently than once a month in a heavy tick year.