bumps on GSP

anb

bumps on GSP

Post by anb » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:31 am

Probably no big deal, but I have been curious about these bumps she keeps getting. Not sure it is from crashing through brush in the woods, or maybe retrieving ducks out of less than clean water, or something else. My GSP is 16months and she will get bumps all over her body - head face, leggs, back, armpits . . . some look like little pimples, some have scabs, and some are just bumps. They dont seem to itch her much if at all. She does wear a neoprene orange vest (for warmth and safety) when we are out hunting, maybe it is trapping bacteria or something in there? At first I was thinking it was like puppy acne (especially around her heat cycle) but the seem to be more constant now. Probably just pokes from branches. Any ideas?
thanks
Andrea

Coveyrise64

Re: bumps on GSP

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:06 am

Staph infection, antibiotic (Cephalexin) will usually take care of it.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:26 am

How many bumps are there? Mine gets one or two but probably from crashing through brush... never in the same place. If you have a dog that likes to work deep cover I would expect it.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:49 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:Staph infection, antibiotic (Cephalexin) will usually take care of it.

Coveyrise64
if that is what it is here is a source for some cephalexin http://www.atozvetsupply.com/FISH-FLEX- ... 1tlfle.htm
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

anb

Post by anb » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:19 pm

ultracary - she has them all over. Right now about 7 on the top of her head, a few on her chest and armpits, about 5 on her back and rib cage, probably 5 on her neck and a few on the insides of her legs. They kind of resemble spots where ticks used to be, although since I have only pulled one tick off her lately that can't be it. She crashes through brush and heavy cover like she is a tank though - a very nimble tank.

others - how can I be sure it is staff infection? I would hate to unneccessarily medicate. She had an ear infection a few weeks ago (yeast), could these be related?

thanks!
Andrea

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Staph is not all that uncommon in dogs. It is not the same staph bug that results in human infections. You can't be certain without a visit to a vet. The description certainly sounds like staph. If you're not trying to save money take the dog to a vet, otherwise it's pretty inexpensive to medicate with few side effects noted. The symptoms wouldn't be anything I've experienced with a dog crashing through the woods or fields.
Last edited by BigShooter on Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:39 pm

BigShooter wrote:Staph is not all that uncommon in dogs. It is not the same staph bug that results in human infections. You can't be certain without a visit to a vet. The description certainly sounds like staph. If you're not trying to say money take the dog to a vet, otherwise it's pretty inexpensive to medicate with few side effects noted. The symptoms wouldn't be anything I've experienced with a dog crashing through the woods or fields.

Good post and good information.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:32 pm

Might try a chlorhexadine shampoo, or one with tea tree oil.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

anb

Post by anb » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:28 am

cajun casey -
I have a bottle of pure tea tree oil right here at home. Ok to just mix that in with a mild soap? ( I usually use baby shampoo on her.) I thought I might have read about tea tree being toxic to dogs at some point - just rinse super well then?
thanks!!!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:34 am

anb wrote:cajun casey -
I have a bottle of pure tea tree oil right here at home. Ok to just mix that in with a mild soap? ( I usually use baby shampoo on her.) I thought I might have read about tea tree being toxic to dogs at some point - just rinse super well then?
thanks!!!

It can be toxic to DOGs and it is certainly toxic to cats. Buy Derma Dream at Petco and use that instead.

anb

Post by anb » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:37 am

Another question on this topic:

Would staph be contagious to humans too? I have noticed I also have some bumps on the back of my neck/ears.

What causes staph infection? Could it be from switching food, changing schedules (stress); what I am thinking is the duck retrievals in ponds then not washing good enough - maybe she got some in the bed?

Have to take the new kittens to the vet next week sometime, so if it doesn't clear up any by then, I guess I'll have it looked at then.

Thanks for the help!
Andrea

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:38 am

careful using human shampoo. even baby shampoo can dry their skin out pretty good, then they scratch alot and flake.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:40 am

Good point Doc. The oatmeal shampoos work really well for something like this. I would avoid anything with citrus, menthol, mint etc.

this is the stuff i keep handy, it used to be called Derma Dream:

http://www.petco.com/product/105060/Hal ... Salve.aspx

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:00 am

I had the same issue with my V. Wash the dog off with plenty of clean water after getting in the nasty pond water.

Greg J.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:08 am

I have seen these bumps on dogs from time to time. And also on my steers, it may be a case of ring worm, not a worm but a bacteria. Common cure is 2 tsp apple cider vinegar and 2 cups water, dab this on the bumps and it will clear up the ringworm. A topical cream you can use on yourself is the monistat 7 women use for yeast infections as ring worm is just that a yeast infection :) had my dogs get into the feed lot, they came up with this. It is transferable to humans too. May not be this or it may be wont know unless a vet takes a sample.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:09 pm

anb wrote:cajun casey -
thanks!!!
It's toxic if ingested, especially to cats. Actually, it could kill a cat, as could most essential aromatic oils. You could just cut the tea tree with a little baby oil and apply it directly, making sure she dosen't lick it. Many dog sprays have tea tree, also called melaleuca, oil in them. Richard's Incredible Skin Spray is one I use. I'd lose the baby shampoo, since it may be drying her skin and changing the pH. If you want to use something cheap that you can multi-use around the house, original Dawn dish soap works. Goop hand cleaner is another good bathing product.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

anb

Post by anb » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:38 am

Normally, I just take her in the shower with me and wash with water only, baby soap is more for cleaning her ears out as they have gotten infected before. I do have an ear cleaning solution now though. I really like the idea of using natural products, but I don't think I could keep her from licking for sure so I don't think I'll be using the tea tree - maybe try it out on the ones on her head where she can't reach. We are headed into town today, so I will see what I can find at the pet store that might help out. Will shower her again and wash out here neoprene vest as I'm sure that has trapped bacteria in it! Hopefuly we can find a solution, if not I will shell out some $ and take her into the vet.
Andrea

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:42 am

anb wrote:Normally, I just take her in the shower with me and wash with water only, baby soap is more for cleaning her ears out as they have gotten infected before. I do have an ear cleaning solution now though. I really like the idea of using natural products, but I don't think I could keep her from licking for sure so I don't think I'll be using the tea tree - maybe try it out on the ones on her head where she can't reach. We are headed into town today, so I will see what I can find at the pet store that might help out. Will shower her again and wash out here neoprene vest as I'm sure that has trapped bacteria in it! Hopefuly we can find a solution, if not I will shell out some $ and take her into the vet.
Andrea
Take the dog to the vet, you'll be money ahead.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me