GSP Limping - Ideas?

GSP Limping - Ideas?

Post by 1114 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:37 pm

My 8 month old came up lame in one hind leg tonight and, since her vet is closed until Monday, I thought I could get your opinions (dog dr, maybe?).

The incident occurred when I was playing around with her on the floor. I flipped her around and she yelped. She got up and one hind leg was lame. She'll put a little weight on it, but only momentarily. She acts normal and I've felt the leg and can't pinpoint any source of irritation. Nothing seems to hurt. Any problem with waiting until Monday AM to take her in?

Now, about an hour after the fact, the leg is slightly swollen and warm to the touch. Nothing seems dislocated and she isn't in any obvious pain. Muscle strain? CCL tear? I know diagnosing something over the Internet is impossible, but any opinions would be great. My mind automatically assumes the worst.

Thanks in advance everyone...

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: GSP Limping - Ideas?

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:55 pm

Put her in a crate and keep her from moving around to much and mobilize the leg as much as possible also if you have any baby aspirin or a buffer aspirin

Sounds like something happened with the muscle even doing some hot and cold packs wouldn't hurt

If no improvement by monday morning call and get to the vet might want to call the vet no matter what incase there is some ligament damage
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:26 am

kninebirddog wrote:Put her in a crate and keep her from moving around to much and mobilize the leg as much as possible also if you have any baby aspirin or a buffer aspirin

Sounds like something happened with the muscle even doing some hot and cold packs wouldn't hurt

If no improvement by monday morning call and get to the vet might want to call the vet no matter what incase there is some ligament damage
I think Knine meant to immobilize the leg but that can be a problem too since anything you would put on it to keep it immobilized she will work at trying to get off. I would just put her in a crate and try to limit any activity. Take her out on a leash on level ground and keep her off of steps or stairs. That's about the best you can do with out a cone abd/or some mild sedation.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:44 am

ezzy and k9 are right. just keep her quiet and comforable til monday.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks I even spelled checked it in a hurry and clicked the wrong one and as you can see was having a hard time getting some sleep

Yes I did mean to keep the dog from moving the leg around as much as possible to give the muscle some time to heal up
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Post by 1114 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:43 am

Thanks for the info, guys. She's doing better today, able to put weight on it (95% of the time) and doesn't act like anything ever happened. Makes me think it was muscle-related. I'll take her by the vet tomorrow to make sure it's nothing more serious.

Thanks again...

Post by 1114 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:48 pm

The vet said it was a sprained/pulled groin muscle so no permanent damage. It's amazing to me that she'll run 100mph through a field, slam herself into walls around the house and jump from 6 foot ledges and never hurt anything. But jack around with her on the floor and she pulls a groin. Who knew.

Thanks again for all the information guys...

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:52 pm

a sprained/pulled groin muscle
Did he/she specify which muscle? Wondering if it is an iliopsoas strain (may be referred to as a psoas strain).

Post by 1114 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:46 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:
a sprained/pulled groin muscle
Did he/she specify which muscle? Wondering if it is an iliopsoas strain (may be referred to as a psoas strain).
No, he didn't say. He said all bones and ligaments are intact and strong and range of movement was good on everything except the hip. All joints were good, no dislocation (but tough to check hip due to thick layer of muscle). Based on that and her reaction when flexing the hip, he concluded it was likely a groin strain. I'm sure any more info than that would have been over my head anyway...

Anything to be concerned with there?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Kinda keep an eye on that as sometimes it can be an indicator of possible HD
Hope it is just a strain and all is good to go :wink:

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Anything to be concerned with there?
Not particularily- just thought I would pass on some info if that's what it is.

My Max had a psoas strain but where the muscle attaches at the back. Iliopsoas strains are most common in the "groin" area (the muscle wraps from the femur up to the back). A lot of performance dogs get this type of strain, especially agility dogs. Here is a good article for strengthening exercises if he continues to be sore.

http://www.vetsportsmedicine.com/.../Pr ... enessa.pdf

jen