Grain-free Foods

SpinJen

Grain-free Foods

Post by SpinJen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:56 pm

Hello,

Do any of you feed grain-free foods? If so, which ones do you like the best?

My pup's breeder has her on Purina One Pro-plan Selects Chicken and Rice Puppy formula, but I do not like the ingredients one bit.

From the proplan.com website:
Chicken, brewers rice, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole grain wheat,
Just the first five ingredients are pretty crappy. Dogs don't need brewers rice, wheat or corn gluten meal and I do not like that the poultry by-product meal is an undisclosed source-- WHICH type of bird is it from and why are they hiding it? So out of the 5 main ingredients, only one is really appropriate. Also, the 7th and 8th ingredients are forms of corn which really bumps the total corn content higher on the list than spot 4 as the first 5 ingredients would lead you to believe (it is a tactic employed by pet food companies called "food splitting" which makes their food look "better").

Anyway, I've got Blue Buffalo Wilderness Natural Evolutionary Diet Chicken formula. From the Blue Buffalo site:
Ingredients

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Potato Starch, Turkey Meal, Peas, Chicken Fat

I know there are other grain-free foods that are better, so I'm curious what you all use!

Thanks

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: Grain-free Foods

Post by birddogger » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:44 pm

I may be wrong, but it sounds to me like you are trying to get a controversy started. This subject has been bantered back and forth many times, do a search. It is not so much that your question makes me suspicious, as it is the tone of the post. Any way, I for one am not going to bite. :wink:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

whiterock

Post by whiterock » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:46 pm

Sounds like you've been reading dogfoodanalysis.com. Some of things they harp on are either misguided or blown out of context.

For example......your comments about "splitting," about the 7th & 8th ingredients being corn or corn derivatives as being something that understates the amount of corn in the ration is really missing the point from a couple of angles. First: the first three ingredients on the list typically comprise approx 75% of most rations. Another rule of thumb that is helpful is......the minerals are about a half cup of volume in a big bag of most rations. What's above the minerals is cups & pounds of product; what's below the minerals are tablespoons & teaspoons of product. By the time you get to 7th or 8th on the list, you are usually at or very near the minerals (more true in rations like Pro Plan; less true in holistic rations), and you are also probably talking about in the ingredient list in question about a pound or three of material, not enough to radically reorder #7 up to #3, for example. Third: splitting rations makes nutritional sense when balancing rations. Whole grain corn (or any other grain) brings a certain proportion of micronutrients to the table. Sometimes, you can't make a ration balance like you want to with a whole ingredient. So you back off of the whole grain and replace with one or more constituent parts of that whole grain so that the (in this case, corn) portion of the ration has a slightly different ratio of calcium, iron, phosphorus, etc.....than the whole grain itself. No compromise there. Just another way to get a ration balanced properly. FInally: Corn ain't the worst thing you can put in a petfood. Yes, it is harder to digest than most other gains, but it also brings more energy to the table....an important consideration for working dogs. If your dog is working hours per day, days on end in cold temps, you might find corn to be useful. If not, you might find other ingredients that would do a better job for you. And if you are field trialing in springtime on corn rations, your dogs WILL come to water sooner and more frequently than dogs on chicken/rice rations. Corn is a high energy food. It burns hot. Make that work for you, not against you.

Which brings us to a concept that is far more important than the well intentioned but often misguided stuff we hear about petfood ingredients: It's not the ingredient....it's how the ingredient is used. People are correct to note that if corn comprises two of the first three ingredients, the ration is likely a budget ration rather than a quality ration. That doesn't mean corn is a bad ingredient. it means it is an ingredient that can be used improperly, and often is.....to lower cost.

Grain Free Rations: Prime premise of GF rats are: 1) allergies, 2) dogs are carnivores. They are hot products now. Understand what you are getting with them. You are losing grains, picking up potatoes or peas. Carb load in some cases can be higher in GF rations than regular Chix/Rice rations. And what do you think is easier to digest? rice or peas? Both are fully digestible. Rice digests very fully, very quickly. Not just the percentage but the speed of the digestion is an important factor in selecting a hunting ration.

Well...... Allergies, statistically speaking, are 80% about the meat, not the carb. If you are feeding a chix/rice, chix/corn type rat and see allergy, try Lamb & Rice. If that doesn't fix it, go to a holistic single source protein (duck, salmon, etc....) Frankly, most dogs that have the allergies are eating rats that do not have proteinated minerals, digestive enzymes, natural preservatives, etc.... Upgrading to those types of rations in most cases make allergy problems disappear. (nearly all grain free rats on the mkt have those things.....there are lots of plain chix/rice rats that have all those additives, too, at far less cost than most GF rats.) For those dog allergies that persist, we have holistic single source protein solutions.

Carnivore: dogs WERE carnivores. In the 10,000 years ago or so since we domesticated them, they have become well adapted to eating what falls off our table. If you don't think that significant kind of genetic change can happen, just compare a Chihuahua to a Wolf and see what is possible if breeders set their minds to it. "dogs don't eat grains" sounds very intuitively appealing. In fact, dogs lived on soup bones & bread rind alone for centuries before we figured out the printing press. If this is what's urging you toward GF rats, I'd urge you to find another rationale.

I work for a manufacturer who offers a GF ration. I also own dozen+ bird dogs. I like our grain free for my dogs for a couple of reasons. I like our holistic food a bit better. It is more useful for most of the year. I usually feed plain ol' Adult food because it is a little cheaper than GF, lots cheaper than holistic, and it gets the job done. (although I am still trialing the GF food as a hunting ration.)

GF is hot right now. I do not think it will surpass holistic foods as a market segment. Holistic foods (full of grains/fruits/veggies) are a better deal than GF for most dogs, although in most cases they will not have enough energy for most hunting dogs during season.

I will admit that I admire London Guns just because they are London Guns, but I wouldn't fall in love with Grain Free just because it is Grain Free.

SpinJen

Post by SpinJen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:00 pm

Thank you so much for your very informative post, whiterock! I really appreciate the time you put into it and what you said makes sense to me.

birddogger-- I'm not sure how you can infer my tone via some text on the internet. Maybe I should have used more smileys? :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:36 pm

SpinJen wrote:Thank you so much for your very informative post, whiterock! I really appreciate the time you put into it and what you said makes sense to me.

birddogger-- I'm not sure how you can infer my tone via some text on the internet. Maybe I should have used more smileys? :lol:
I think he got that impression from your statements that you made as fact and no where did I see a "I think" or "IMO". White rock Gave you some good info even though he sugar coated it to some extent I'm sure to be less confrontational than just stating facts.

Go back and discard practically everything you stated in your first post as 99% of it is not even based on fact but rather the marketing hype of some company normally trying to promote a high priced feed by saying it is of better quality.

If you still have questions I can help you understand just how we formulate dog food and basically why the different ingredients are used to provide the very best and well balanced ration we can for a working dog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:55 pm

SpinJen wrote:Hello,

Do any of you feed grain-free foods? If so, which ones do you like the best?

My pup's breeder has her on Purina One Pro-plan Selects Chicken and Rice Puppy formula, but I do not like the ingredients one bit.

From the proplan.com website:
Chicken, brewers rice, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole grain wheat,
Just the first five ingredients are pretty crappy. Dogs don't need brewers rice, wheat or corn gluten meal and I do not like that the poultry by-product meal is an undisclosed source-- WHICH type of bird is it from and why are they hiding it? So out of the 5 main ingredients, only one is really appropriate. Also, the 7th and 8th ingredients are forms of corn which really bumps the total corn content higher on the list than spot 4 as the first 5 ingredients would lead you to believe (it is a tactic employed by pet food companies called "food splitting" which makes their food look "better").

Anyway, I've got Blue Buffalo Wilderness Natural Evolutionary Diet Chicken formula. From the Blue Buffalo site:
Ingredients

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Potato Starch, Turkey Meal, Peas, Chicken Fat

I know there are other grain-free foods that are better, so I'm curious what you all use!

Thanks
If you want your Spinone very lean you can feed a GF, Annamaet's Salcha is very good. I keep mine on the lean side and right now I am going through a bag of Pro Pac which is not a GF and defrosting some Beaver meat. LOL Mine is a big intact male.

If you are going to show him/her forget the GF's. I can tell you the kennel that wins nearly everything uses Holistic Health Extension. I don't have to tell you the kennel name. Spinone's without full cover don't win.

My choice for a traditional kibble is Annamaet Ultra.

My choice for a non-kibble dry is Abady M&S. This food has more meat protein than anything on the market.

So far the Pro Pac HP is going just fine but I can't recommend it right now.

There are a few hypertechnical responses above but the truth is some foods are better than others but don't assume the better ones are GF's because it is not the case. I would try to feed a Spinone a very dense, caloric diet in order to minimize the amount eaten. I think it works best for them.

SpinJen

Post by SpinJen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:54 pm

Thank you, mcbosco! :)

Can you tell me why feeding grain-free would cause the dog to be so lean? The Blue Buffalo I have has 15% fat. Is that too low?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:19 pm

SpinJen wrote:Thank you, mcbosco! :)

Can you tell me why feeding grain-free would cause the dog to be so lean? The Blue Buffalo I have has 15% fat. Is that too low?
I guess it depends on how active your dog is. I keep my dogs pretty active and I prefer more fat than that. The formula I am feeding is 20% fat.

Charlie

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:48 pm

And with a Spinone coat more fat is better. I didn't realize this was a puppy until late last night. I wouldn't feed a pup a grain-free at all, for the extra cost I would add a complete raw to regular kibble instead.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:12 am

We feed our 3 yr old GSP EVO Turkey/Chicken Large Bites. It's ~43% protein, and grainless (low carb source is potatoes). We supplement it with canned salmon or cooked chicken a couple of times a week.

About a year ago we switched him from Exceed: he was getting 4 cups/day and LOOSING weight. At about 1/2 the amount of EVO he is lean, well muscled, with boundless energy & a shiny coat. Plus there is a lot less "output".

Do your own research & find out what's best for you & your dog. In the end that's all that matters.

Pax,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:33 am

Solve your problem easily. Check out Loyall feeds by Nutrena, and check out Nutrisource. There are many other good feeds, but check out these two as you will feed less and usually get better results than most at a fair price.
big steve

SpinJen

Post by SpinJen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:44 pm

Thank you all for the replies! :)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Spinjen,

Many Spinones are not big eaters don't pull your hair out if your pup is not wolfing her/his food down. At dinner time my doesn't even get up right away to eat and even then he eats very slowly and often stops.

They are also easy keepers and will stay at proper weight with relatively small amounts of food. Also do not spoil them, if they don't want to eat, take the food away and try the next time.

Male Spinoni are notoriously picky eaters as well.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:59 pm

mcbosco wrote:Spinjen,

Many Spinones are not big eaters don't pull your hair out if your pup is not wolfing her/his food down. At dinner time my doesn't even get up right away to eat and even then he eats very slowly and often stops.

They are also easy keepers and will stay at proper weight with relatively small amounts of food. Also do not spoil them, if they don't want to eat, take the food away and try the next time.

Male Spinoni are notoriously picky eaters as well.
I find it hard to believe that picky eaters are breed or gender related. Learn something new everyday. I have what I thought was a Brit male but he must be Italian the way he eats. :roll: :lol:

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:56 pm

I have always known males to be more likely to pass on food than females, especially the intact ones. Maybe its the water in NJ, :D , not sure. Perhaps females are programmed to carry extra fat, makes perfect sense from an evolutionary standpoint.

As far as breeds go, it is anecdotal of course but I have never heard so many breed specific comments about Spinone eating habits. Mine will not eat before 8:30 pm either, seriously.

Perhaps I should be more generous with the Parmigiano-Reggiano and the Gorgonzola Dolce.

I don't think it is unsual to see breed-specific eating habits. Would anyone argue that Labradors eat like hogs?

whiterock

Post by whiterock » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:33 pm

Misc comments:

Palatability and nutritional quality are two different things. There are some very fine foods in the market that are not particularly palatable. Bottom line is, a working dog needs to eat. And hunting dogs out working in the field MUST eat. If the dog doesn't eat it, it doesn't matter how nutritional the ration is. You will start losing dog power when dogs quit eating. To be fair to the various rations in the market, the "picky eater" thing is also a genetic issue that is definitely worth breeding around. I do. Dogs gotta eat or they quit working, and when you have a big string it's simply not worth the time to have to do all the "dressings" for the picky eaters. You can find competent dogs that will eat without hassle.

Evo to Exceed was a freefall in quality.....from a 10 to about a 5-6 on a ten point scale. And potatoes are not low carb. Far from it. What makes Evo a low carb food is all the meat on the label above the potatoes. That's also what makes Evo so danged expensive....all that meat. You could get comparable performance from a comparable quality ration for 25% less cost, but if it works for you, it works.... Lots to be said for that.

Fat: Fat burns cool. Great energy source. 20% is good level for a hunting dog in season, perhaps more than necessary in off-season. look for a ca 10% spread between protein and fat. 30/20 performance ration (lots like that in the market) is a good starting point. Frankly, a high quality 26/16 is plenty for nearly any situation except professional guiding for weeks on end. By high quality, I mean Whole Dog Journal approved quality. If you step down into the more recognized brands (Pro Plan, Euk, etc...) then you will probably need 30/20 to get same level performance.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:04 pm

Fat: Fat burns cool. Great energy source. 20% is good level for a hunting dog in season, perhaps more than necessary in off-season. look for a ca 10% spread between protein and fat. 30/20 performance ration (lots like that in the market) is a good starting point. Frankly, a high quality 26/16 is plenty for nearly any situation except professional guiding for weeks on end. By high quality, I mean Whole Dog Journal approved quality. If you step down into the more recognized brands (Pro Plan, Euk, etc...) then you will probably need 30/20 to get same level performance.
Can you show us the research that backs this up? And maybe show us the White Dog Journal and what they have done to become the official guide as it pertains to quality in a dog food. There have been dogs running trials and or hunting that are doing it on feeds that you are infering are second rated feeds. Why are those dogs able to compete as such a high level on those feeds?

Fat may burn cool but it is what most animals need to produce the body heat needed to keep them warm. Any ingredient that produces ebergy also produces heat and that has to be watched carefully when the weather is warm and the dogs are working. Our feeds today are twice as high in protein and fat as they used to be and the dogs performed well on those lower potency feeds. Seems the leading factor in the higher levels of protein and fat is marketing trying to keep up with everyone else and all of them trying to satisfy owners who think the high levels are needed and not because the dogs perform much different on them than they did a few years back when we fed a 12 or 14 % protien feed with lower levels of fats. I do think we feed less today because or the higher potency but I don't see the big difference in performance.

Ezzy

fordman

Post by fordman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:00 am

Many coon hunters feed there dogs low brand food and there dogs run alot. The Purina book always has fox hounds or coon dogs that win and they are feed DOG CHOW. :mrgreen:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:04 pm

Can you show us the research that backs this up? And maybe show us the White Dog Journal and what they have done to become the official guide as it pertains to quality in a dog food. There have been dogs running trials and or hunting that are doing it on feeds that you are infering are second rated feeds. Why are those dogs able to compete as such a high level on those feeds?

Fat may burn cool but it is what most animals need to produce the body heat needed to keep them warm. Any ingredient that produces ebergy also produces heat and that has to be watched carefully when the weather is warm and the dogs are working. Our feeds today are twice as high in protein and fat as they used to be and the dogs performed well on those lower potency feeds. Seems the leading factor in the higher levels of protein and fat is marketing trying to keep up with everyone else and all of them trying to satisfy owners who think the high levels are needed and not because the dogs perform much different on them than they did a few years back when we fed a 12 or 14 % protien feed with lower levels of fats. I do think we feed less today because or the higher potency but I don't see the big difference in performance.

Ezzy
I was just thinking the other day, 40 yrs. ago, I fed my EP a "grocery store dog food" called Bow Wow. I don't have a clue what the ingredients were or protein/fat percentages were because I never looked, but it sure was cheap. :D My dog hunted hard from around 8:00 AM to dusk every weekend of the season.
I don't feed that way now, but that dog always worked hard and looked good.

Charlie

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:41 pm

I was just thinking the other day, 40 yrs. ago, I fed my EP a "grocery store dog food" called Bow Wow. I don't have a clue what the ingredients were or protein/fat percentages were because I never looked, but it sure was cheap. My dog hunted hard from around 8:00 AM to dusk every weekend of the season.
And the truth be known our dogs today would do the same. The worst part of feeding some of the cheaper feeds is listening to all of the one and two dog owners tell you about how bad those feeds are. The dogs seldom complain and keep right on hunting.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:07 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
I was just thinking the other day, 40 yrs. ago, I fed my EP a "grocery store dog food" called Bow Wow. I don't have a clue what the ingredients were or protein/fat percentages were because I never looked, but it sure was cheap. My dog hunted hard from around 8:00 AM to dusk every weekend of the season.
And the truth be known our dogs today would do the same. The worst part of feeding some of the cheaper feeds is listening to all of the one and two dog owners tell you about how bad those feeds are. The dogs seldom complain and keep right on hunting.
There is something called "cognitive dissonance". In consumer products it is usually associated with how people feel about the purchase of luxury items, expensive dog food included. The principle is also completely applicable to value items as well, including dog food.

I try to be objective. One professional teeth cleaning where I live is easily $500, plus the risk associated with it. If feeding better quality food saves me one cleaning over the life of the dog or the other problems associated with tooth and gum problems then the extra money was worth it.

So I guess my point is that I wonder if some people have conflicted thoughts (based on the evidence) about feeding cheaper food just like someone that might spend $80 on 25lbs of Canine Caviar Venison & Split Pea.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:14 pm

mcbosco wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
I There is something called "cognitive dissonance". In consumer products it is usually associated with how people feel about the purchase of luxury items, expensive dog food included. The principle is also completely applicable to value items as well, including dog food.

I try to be objective. One professional teeth cleaning where I live is easily $500, plus the risk associated with it. If feeding better quality food saves me one cleaning over the life of the dog or the other problems associated with tooth and gum problems then the extra money was worth it.

So I guess my point is that I wonder if some people have conflicted thoughts (based on the evidence) about feeding cheaper food just like someone that might spend $80 on 25lbs of Canine Caviar Venison & Split Pea.

Where do you live for those prices, Rodeo Drive? Some of your posts are good, and some scary funny. This is one of the latter. :D
big steve

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:27 pm

Steve, I am sure others in a Metro area would be charged the same for an ultrasound cleaning. That's what it costs. My parents just spent $1,800 for an MRI in Fla. on a dog's neck.

LOL

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Even in upstate NY (central NY really) teeth cleaning is easily $300-500 if not more. Add a extraction and yikes.

MRIs are easily close to $2000. I am in a much more rural area then where McB lives.

I have cared for dogs fed low grade feeds their whole lives and their coats are disgusting, they have ear/skin/etc allergies and look like they are 15 yrs at the age of 6 yrs. They also have multiple vet visits due to these issues. $$$$

My 12 year old big hound cross is on a expensive feed (Orijen) but she looks like she is 6 yrs, has energy plus, and barely has to visit the vet (except for Rabies vacs every 3 yrs). It's worth the extra cost to me in the long run.

Cheaper at the moment is not always cheaper over time......

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:17 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:Even in upstate NY (central NY really) teeth cleaning is easily $300-500 if not more. Add a extraction and yikes.

MRIs are easily close to $2000. I am in a much more rural area then where McB lives.

I have cared for dogs fed low grade feeds their whole lives and their coats are disgusting, they have ear/skin/etc allergies and look like they are 15 yrs at the age of 6 yrs. They also have multiple vet visits due to these issues. $$$$

My 12 year old big hound cross is on a expensive feed (Orijen) but she looks like she is 6 yrs, has energy plus, and barely has to visit the vet (except for Rabies vacs every 3 yrs). It's worth the extra cost to me in the long run.

Cheaper at the moment is not always cheaper over time......
I can agree in principle to what you are saying but the reality is I showed dogs back then and the coats were beautiful on my Brits, Labs, and Airedales. I have to this day never had to have a dogs teeth cleaned so I have no idea of what it costs. I am sure way to much. Also never experienced ear/skin/etc allergies and our dogs lived long normal lives.

Many of the hound people back then bought a meal type feed they had the local feed mill make for them that was corn based with meat scraps the main or only animal protein used. Think that became popular because the dogs would go eat out of the self feeders in the pig lot.

Guess I am just a bad one to get involved in this type of post since I have no experience to speak of with all of the problems that seem so common today. never saw a dog with a sensitive stomach chronic yeast infections, bad skin and coat conditions that were feed related in any of our dogs. Did have a poodle who came to us with a bad case of colitis and a dull dry coat, plus the medicine the dog had to have between vet visits. After taking the expensive kibble and Alpo that was being used to try and get the dog to eat and putting it on our regular "cheap" feed the dog gained 5 pounds, started to shine, and never again used any of the meds that were needed because of the overfeeding when he came. Dogs will eat when they are hungry and when they miss a meal it is normally because they aren't hungry. Just not a big deal but rather something to watch as it is a sign the dog may have a problem but more likely is a sign that it is being fed a little too much.

But for those of you that are having teeth problems I understand the concern because of the cost but if the dogs are fed a dry kibble and allowed to chew on bones or other chew-ables the problem will pretty much disappear in my experience.

JMO
Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:56 am

Bones cost money too and come with risks, namely a femur bone busting a tooth or enamel wear.

Much better alternative:

http://www.petco.com/product/2566/Nylab ... -Bone.aspx

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:23 am

My Pappy used to say, "A fool and his money are soon parted!"
big steve

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:37 am

big steve46 wrote:My Pappy used to say, "A fool and his money are soon parted!"
My Grandfather said "Penny-wise, Pound-foolish" but in Italian. :wink:

"Tirchio con i centesimi e prodigo con le lire"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:26 pm

mcbosco wrote:Bones cost money too and come with risks, namely a femur bone busting a tooth or enamel wear.

Much better alternative:

http://www.petco.com/product/2566/Nylab ... -Bone.aspx
Never had that problem. Good thing as the dogs were always digging them up from somewhere. I find several every year at the farm yet. Some from cows, calves, and I'm sure quite a few from deer.

Just isn't much of a problem even if it happens rarely. I always got them from the locker plant for all of the dogs over the years.

Ezzy

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:31 pm

whiterock wrote:Well...... Allergies, statistically speaking, are 80% about the meat, not the carb.
I would disagree. Veterinary Science, and most all pet food companies have no answers for fiber-based allergies. Protecting profit influences science. Dogs are carnivores, and it makes no sense the most likely cause of allergies (as in a number like 80%) would be the leading cause. On the contrary, every time a non-species appropriate ingredient enter the market place a new problem arises or allergy arises. High fiber/carb diets are the culprit and a direct connection to allergies in dogs.

Charlie
A good bird dog is always the right color

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:51 pm

claybuster_aa wrote:
whiterock wrote:Well...... Allergies, statistically speaking, are 80% about the meat, not the carb.
I would disagree. Veterinary Science, and most all pet food companies have no answers for fiber-based allergies. Protecting profit influences science. Dogs are carnivores, and it makes no sense the most likely cause of allergies (as in a number like 80%) would be the leading cause. On the contrary, every time a non-species appropriate ingredient enter the market place a new problem arises or allergy arises. High fiber/carb diets are the culprit and a direct connection to allergies in dogs.

Charlie
You can continue to think that but all of the research that has been done just doesn't agree. It isn't a plant or animal thing but rather just a protein thing no matter what thew source. Probably has a lot to do with the more complicated make up of the amino acids as compared to a normal bland carb source. But no mattrer what the source, an allergy to any foodstuff is rare enough that it shouldn't be something we need to look for as we will seldom see it.

I hate to see these opinions given preference over research.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:29 am

The science is that true dietary allergies as we define them are exceeding rare in dogs. Bad breeding is partly responsible.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30 pm

ezzy333 wrote: ... It isn't a plant or animal thing but rather just a protein thing no matter what thew source... Ezzy
Yes, allergies are all about the proteins. Molecules of protein that are not broken down yet enter into the blood stream whole because fiber can encapsulate valuable proteins and nutrients and render then useless to the animal. When proteins are not broken down properly during digestion, and when these protein molecules enter the blood stream whole, that translates into the direct connection to allergies. This is not opinion Ezzy, this is fact. Any person thinking (like the poster whiterock), making a claim 80% of allergies are caused by meats, not fiber and carbs IMHO is misinformed. Research and data is only as good as the money bankrolling the studies...and in the case of veterinary science and dog food, the science that can yield the most profit is the most accepted science. The science that would indicate you must cut into the profit margin for the betterment of the animal is the least accepted science.

Charlie

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:38 pm

whiterock wrote:Misc comments:

...By high quality, I mean Whole Dog Journal approved quality. ....
YIKES! How do those people (WDJ) stay in business. IMHO they are clueless and experts in misleading the public.

Charlie

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:19 pm

It's true allergies are usually protein in nature, but there is such thing as a food intolerance. These are more common than most realize or believe. These are usually sensitivites to chemicals, perhaps on grain, that can be subtle, hard to diagnose, and quite severe. For sure, it is not diagnosed if the Dr is not looking for it.
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:30 pm

Research and data is only as good as the money bankrolling the studies...and in the case of veterinary science and dog food, the science that can yield the most profit is the most accepted science. The science that would indicate you must cut into the profit margin for the betterment of the animal is the least accepted science.
In my years of experience nothing could be much further from the truth. Much of the science and research is done by the Land Grant schools here in the mid-west. Look at the University of IL, Iowa State, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Purdue. They are not supported by any company but we did work closely with them and shared a lot of info. What a valuable tool they are for any one interested in Agriculture of any type. And they are now turning out good classes of veterinarians.

I sure find it hard to believe that profit is considered a science when normally it take a lot of hard work, risking your money on something you believe in, and hiring good people to get the job done before you will ever see a profit.

Ezzy

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:13 am

In my years of experience nothing could be much further from the truth. Much of the science and research is done ...
Ezzy

Look at the big picture Ezzy. Why do you think they (the dog food makers and Vet Science) classify the dog as an omnivore rather than what it truly is, a carnivore? Money is the motivator behind that science. The industry can make a lot more profit producing foods for omnivores rather than for those animals requiring a higher level of nutrition, carnivores. Cash is king and the science needs to justify agenda.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Charlie

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:23 am

claybuster_aa wrote:
In my years of experience nothing could be much further from the truth. Much of the science and research is done ...
Ezzy

Look at the big picture Ezzy. Why do you think they (the dog food makers and Vet Science) classify the dog as an omnivore rather than what it truly is, a carnivore? Money is the motivator behind that science. The industry can make a lot more profit producing foods for omnivores rather than for those animals requiring a higher level of nutrition, carnivores. Cash is king and the science needs to justify agenda.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Charlie
Charlie, we have had this discussion many times and I think I and everyone else tried to explain to you that a dog is not a true carnivore today and probably never was. They have always eaten grains, and other vegetable matter when it is available. Their whole digestive system pretty much proves the point.

Now to go back to your premise, how do you figure it is to anyone's advantage to classify them as omnivores if they are not? We can make a feed just as easily for one as the other. We have a lot of animal protein sources available and we use them more for cat food since they do need it but the cost effective way to provide a food for you as a pet owner is to provide a food the animal needs and does well on and to keep the price as low as possible so everyone can afford it. It's done for you so you will continue to buy the product and we as a company can stay in business and provide a job and a living to a whole lot of people now and in the future.

All done because we love ya on this cool Thanksgiving Day when we have so much to be thankful for. Hoping it is as good for you and your dog.

Ezzy

SpinJen

Post by SpinJen » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:46 pm

Hills, the makers of Science Diet, run the entire pet food curriculum at the University of Illinois, at least they did a few years ago. Vets are taught which foods are ok for pets by the makers of a really crappy, overpriced food that has corn as the number 1 ingredient. That says something.

its the dog

Post by its the dog » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:22 pm

And remember that the vet makes a cut on what they sell out of the vets office.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:59 pm

I sincerely hope that you people know better than what you are posting for everyone to see. And I hope the people reading these posts know that you have just been misinformed and haven't really thought about what you have posted.

Ezzy

SpinJen

Post by SpinJen » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:14 pm

I know for fact that Hills ran the pet food training that Vet students receive at U of I 3 years ago because my good friend was in the Veterinary program there and she told me so.

Are you so set in your ways that you do not want to explore the *possibility* that you *could* be wrong?

You've made your point and it is fine to have an opinion (everyone has one, you know), but to repeatedly imply that those of us who disagree with you are ignorant and misinformed is going a little too far.

ETA: The same vet student from U of I owns a Spinone and feeds grain-free. :P She is one of the most intelligent and knowledgeable people I know.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:36 am

SpinJen,

Lower carb diets are perfectly appropriate for large breed adults that are known to accumulate some weight, Spinoni included, but for a puppy I would stay more conventional if I were you.

The extra money is better spent on something like green tripe a few times a week rather than a pricey grain free kibble.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:30 pm

claybuster_aa wrote:
ezzy333 wrote: ... It isn't a plant or animal thing but rather just a protein thing no matter what thew source... Ezzy
Yes, allergies are all about the proteins. Molecules of protein that are not broken down yet enter into the blood stream whole because fiber can encapsulate valuable proteins and nutrients and render then useless to the animal. When proteins are not broken down properly during digestion, and when these protein molecules enter the blood stream whole, that translates into the direct connection to allergies. This is not opinion Ezzy, this is fact. Any person thinking (like the poster whiterock), making a claim 80% of allergies are caused by meats, not fiber and carbs IMHO is misinformed. Research and data is only as good as the money bankrolling the studies...and in the case of veterinary science and dog food, the science that can yield the most profit is the most accepted science. The science that would indicate you must cut into the profit margin for the betterment of the animal is the least accepted science.

Charlie
I'm interested in the studies that support whole protein molecules surviving cellular transport mechanisms designed for amino acid transport. I'd like to better understand the science behind the cellular diffusion & the osmolarity involved. I do understand in certain instances fiber encapsulated proteins result in less protein being digested. In other instances fiber encapsulated proteins are fully digested. Here is one source for your edification: http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/MEETING/004/M ... 836E00.HTM
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:14 pm

SpinJen wrote:I know for fact that Hills ran the pet food training that Vet students receive at U of I 3 years ago because my good friend was in the Veterinary program there and she told me so.

Are you so set in your ways that you do not want to explore the *possibility* that you *could* be wrong?

You've made your point and it is fine to have an opinion (everyone has one, you know), but to repeatedly imply that those of us who disagree with you are ignorant and misinformed is going a little too far.

ETA: The same vet student from U of I owns a Spinone and feeds grain-free. :P She is one of the most intelligent and knowledgeable people I know.
Don't think I am too set in my ways but maybe I am wrong about that too. On the other side of the question is not based on my girlfriend but on the fact I worked with them for years and more recently I have heard our resident vet poo poo your assumption also. So since my experience dates back a few years and we have a recent opinion by someone who has recent experience I just assumed that maybe you were wrong. But again I must be wrong . Wonder how many millions Hill's spend running all of the vet schools in the country? Do you have any idea?

Ezzy

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:09 am

ezzy333 wrote:

All done because we love ya on this cool Thanksgiving Day when we have so much to be thankful for. Hoping it is as good for you and your dog.

Ezzy
Thank you Ezzy. I had to work Thanksgiving Day, made the double time and a 1/2, I had the warm left over plate about 10pm.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:26 am

BigShooter wrote: I'm interested in the studies that support whole protein molecules surviving cellular transport mechanisms designed for amino acid transport. I'd like to better understand the science behind the cellular diffusion & the osmolarity involved. I do understand in certain instances fiber encapsulated proteins result in less protein being digested. In other instances fiber encapsulated proteins are fully digested. Here is one source for your edification: http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/MEETING/004/M ... 836E00.HTM
The problem with my research BigShooter is it comes from a dog food manufacturer, therefore many tend to believe it is more marketing than research. The company has done their own independent research, outside of the realm of Hills and Purina grant money. Knowing this, I will find the pieces of info that relate to the topic here and quote them for you, but I don't want people to get the wrong impression...I don't sell this stuff...I just feed it to my dog.

Abady research:
By expediting the food through the gastric phase, the fibrous material introduces large molecules of partially broken protein and other food substances into the small intestine which can lead to serious complications. Recent evidence has shown that it is possible for large substances to cross through the intestinal lining and enter the bloodstream. The passage of incompletely digested protein into the bloodstream can bring about immune reactions – which we call allergies. The large molecules of incompletely digested food materials may behave as allergens – producing allergies. There are two routes that have been verified as passageways for these molecules of food through the intestinal lining into the bloodstream. The first is through lymphatic tissues in the intestinal tract; the second is called m-cell vesicle formation and involves the transport of large substances directly into the bloodstream by a process of microenvagination. This indicates that maldigestion of dietary protein caused by excessive dietary fibrous material may lead to widespread allergies or hypersensitivity particularly to protein foods. It has also been found that certain dietary protein molecules when incompletely digested may cause a reduction in the capacity of the immune system to respond appropriately, leading to long-term allergic reactions, thereby producing a state of low zone tolerance resulting in skin problems and recurrent infections.

SpinJen

Post by SpinJen » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:38 am

http://hills.ivsa.org/?m=m_content&c=0& ... 47&target=

http://www.hillsvet.com/professionals/vet-students.html
International Veterinary Student Association
Hill's is the exclusive diamond sponsor of the International Veterinary Student Association (IVSA).
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/whatsnew/ ... fm?id=1357
UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine - Research Units
(May 18, 2004) – Hill's Pet Nutrition Inc. has pledged $510000 over six years to sponsor nutrition education programs at the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine.

From the Journal of Veterinary Medical Education!! http://www.jvmeonline.org/
Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges.
AAVMC APPRECIATES THE SUPPORT OF OUR TWO PATRONS, HILL'S PET NUTRITION AND BAYER ANIMAL HEALTH, WHO IN COMBINATION ARE FULLY SUPPORTING THIS SITE.
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/Vet/News/Hi ... ience.aspx

This article is likely bias but still, you get the idea. http://rmb4healthypets.blogspot.com/201 ... s-pet.html
* They write the textbook (Small Animal Clinical Nutrition, 5th Edition) that is used in nearly every pet nutrition course in every veterinary school.
* They teach the pet nutrition course.
* The Mark Morris Institute pays a dozen veterinarians, whom they send, free of charge, to veterinary schools to teach pet nutrition and to consult with veterinary students about setting up successful pet practices.
* Most Mark Morris Institute Fellows are current and/or former employees of Hills Pet Nutrition and the Morris Animal Foundation. They speak about nutrients, not food, and teach vet students to believe that commercial formulations are the best nutrition Father Manufacture can concoct. Mother Nature is nowhere to be found.
Iowa State http://vetmed.iastate.edu/hills-pet-nutrition-program

This is a pretty good article. http://www.mndaily.com/2010/02/18/vet-s ... al-funding
Early in his career, veterinarian and small animal cardiologist Paul D. Pion discovered commercial pet food — primarily Hill’s — was causing a deadly heart disease in cats.

“It was thought to be the best food of the day,” he said. “People were shocked.”

His discovery, published in the August 1987 issue of Science, taught Pion to look deeper into the information companies provide.

“It’s what you don’t know that’s more dangerous than what you know,” he said.

Now, the president and co-founder of the Veterinary Information Network — which stopped accepting corporate sponsorship over five years ago — said it’s impossible for people, however well-intentioned, to separate their ties to industries that support them when they make decisions.

I hadn't looked into this before, but I just did a quick google and found all of this.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:45 am

This is all well known and anyone that doesn't recognize that the industry influences education is just not thinking clearly. It doesn't really matter because I see signs in my area that Vets are exploring the alternatives. My clinic now carries Canine Caviar and Annamaet because the Vets noticed healthier and better looking dogs coming in the door.They also started to connect the dots when it came to allergies, ear infections and obesity.

Are the profit margins better in these products? Absolutely, but if the Vets can make a little money ethically on good food I am all for it. They won't feel compelled to make you feel guilty when you refuse the Lepto vaccine or send you those postcards for useless stool samples.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:01 am

claybuster_aa,

Thanks for the response. Of course I'd like to see the quoted sources of the actual research rather than just the food company's summary but I understand this was the only info that was available to you. Do you know if this summary is based upon canine or human digestive research?

SpinJen,

Based upon your most recent post I believe birddogger had it right with his second post.

mcbosco,

I found your posts to be level headed and informative.

Obviously with respect to food formulations there continue to be those that question whether our dog's are receiving sufficiently adequate nutrition to support their bodily functions and work efforts. The quest for true knowledge is a good thing. For now, my yardstick will remain focused on the balance between my dogs' coats, general health, field performance and my pocket book. I can live with adequate and do not always require what someone else, based upon whatever biases they may have, perceive as optimum at premium prices.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it