Parvo

bobdaly

Parvo

Post by bobdaly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:08 pm

I had some 3 month old puppies come down with Parvo the first part of October. They had had their first 3 puppy shots but for some reason still contracted parvo. I was able to save one of the puppies and the other one died, and I had one puppy who never got sick. I decided I wanted to get a new male dog so instead of buying a puppy I found a 6 month old puppy that had a series of 4 puppy shots. I had bleached my who house and yard, bleached all the kennels and bedding etc. I have had the pupppy for 9 days and now he has Parvo. Just was wondering if anyone had and advice, knowledge, tips just anything. It just seems very strange to me that these dogs are getting Parvo when they have been vaccinated. I also have 8 adult dogs and none of them got sick. thanks Bob

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Parvo

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm not surprised that you didn't manage to kill off all the parvo. It's both incredibly tenacious and incredibly contagious.

I am surprised that dogs from two different vaccination regimens contracted it.

Greg J.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:22 pm

Parvo can be anywhere. Trying to kill it with bleach is nearly impossible.

Like Greg, the fact that a vaccinated six month old that has been out and about and to the vet's office on numerous occasions is surely a puzzle. Is it possible it is a novel strain of parvo? Is it possible they got the same batch of vaccine?

bobdaly

Post by bobdaly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:25 pm

I am very puzzled about my 6 month old pup getting the Parvo. If it were a weird/new strain of Parvo wouldnt I have seen some of my adult dogs get it as well? I am also a breeder and am thinking I will not be able to have puppies anymore without the risk of loosing a whole litter.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:27 pm

Did the vaccine that was used on your pups and on the six month old come from the same place, same lot?

bobdaly

Post by bobdaly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:28 pm

The new puppy was from 3 hours away I am quite sure I was not given the same batch of vaccine infact I am almost sure it ws a the vaccine were from two seperate companies.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Parvo vaccine can take 2 weeks to be effective so depending on when the pups were vaccinated vs when they were exposed may be something to look in to. Also, parvo can live for a year or more outside in cold temps in feces...

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:11 pm

do you have a 100% definitive diagnosis that its parvo, or are you just going on signs and symptoms?

are you 110% sure you can trust the person that told you they vaccinated the pups?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Vaccines only help build antibodies,,it doesn't not make a dog impervious to a disease

If a dog/ pup comes into Direct contact with a shedding of the Parvo Virus and they are compromised in anyway they can get parvo

There is also a pretty bad strain circling around and I do know the vet I was dealing with has seen an increase from the oct to nov time as I had a couple pups come down with a light case I took mine to the vet to keep them away from the rest of the litter..My pups also had 2 rounds of Vaccines in their system The rest of the litter knock on wood never got sick vet even sent me home with shots for the ones that weren't showing any signs to give them an extra boost. Was the first round of Parvo I had dealt with in over 10 years...it happens no matter how much we try to do the right things

Parvo it is nasty and to spread the virus is extremely easy. the dog has to inhale or ingest it and the bodies resistance is the final equation as to IF a dog /pup will come down with parvo or not

Again just because a dog had all their shots done even if they are all done at a vets office doesn't mean they can not get parvo it only means that the bodies HEALTHY immune system has a much better chance at keeping the parvo at bay

Stress can weaken an immune system or a dog that doesn't have a strong immune system in the first place stress being from a move travel change in food Surgery even been hunted hard worms or the dog just has a weak immune system in the first place there are so many factors we don't even think about but same breath can't freak out over everything or no one would ever walk out there front door and go any where
Generally the older the dog the less the chances of getting parvo but if the dog has something happen even adults can come down with parvo if all the wrong things fall into place exposing the dog in an extremely immune weakened state.

And along with what DOG DR stated I know people who have treated for Parvo when they should have been treating for Coccidia they lost half a litter before they figured that out :( treatments is entirely different
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:58 pm

Could it have been Coronavirus? If I remember right some of the symptoms are about the same.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

bobdaly

Post by bobdaly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:15 am

It is for sure Parvo he was Parvo tested at the vet clinic and is now being treated at the clinic. I do trust that the person I got him from did vaccinate him. I just have to hope he linves now and go from there I have contacted Neotech they have a Puppy Parvo vaccine that you can give early that helps the young puppies build better immunity to Parvo. I was able to talk to the Vet there and he had alot of good advice and was very helpful.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:15 pm

CPV 2c, aka Strain 154. Most of the clinical information is at Oklahoma State.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.