Lab pup question

srs

Lab pup question

Post by srs » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:07 pm

I have a 4 month old lab that engulfs her food and doesnt chew it. She usually stops at mid bowl to catch her breath and then continues on. Today she stopped looked alittle funny and threw it all up whole. the other day she started choking on it and took a few seconds to clear herself. I would guess she would get the idea and slow down but she seems to be taking awhile to catch on. Any suggestions on slowing her down? I would think this might be normal but didn't know if there is something i could being doing. Thanks.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Lab pup question

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:15 pm

On the dogs we have that wolf down their food that fast I will get a cookie sheet with a lip and spread their food out..I have tried the bowls that are supposedly designed to slow a dog down but nothing has worked as well as the cheap cookie sheet
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Muffin tins work too. I had a Lab that did the same thing. It is scary. Mine did that his whole life.

Try a 12 cup muffin tin and spread the food around in it.

srs

Post by srs » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:07 pm

Thanks....yea it is alittle scary but i kinda of figured she would learn and slow herself down after choking. I will give one of those a try and see if it helps.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:58 pm

You might also try a food with a larger kibble size. That might help as well. I seem to recall a hand-feeding training method for this problem.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:10 pm

mcbosco wrote:You might also try a food with a larger kibble size. That might help as well. I seem to recall a hand-feeding training method for this problem.
I just use a nice smooth flat stone in the dog dish.Works well and after using it for several months most will eat a lot slower.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

srs

Post by srs » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:33 pm

Thanks guys, tried the muffin pan, slowed her way down but still doesnt chew. She doesnt seem to be choking or having to catch her breath, so much better. Wife wasnt to happy to see what I was doing so I guess I have to go buy her a new pan. :D

On a side note.... noticed today the pup was sticking her nose down in the water bowl and started blowing bubbles. Kept her busy for about 10 minutes. They sure are funny.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:11 pm

If she is not uncomfortable or regurgitating I wouldn't worry about it. Dogs don't chew every piece of kibble anyway. Next bag see if you cant find a food with bigger kibble size. Labs are good sized dogs with a big mouth so that might help even more. She might learn to slow down with the muffin pan so at some point you won't need it.

The bubble blowing is cute.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:28 pm

On a side note.... noticed today the pup was sticking her nose down in the water bowl and started blowing bubbles. Kept her busy for about 10 minutes. They sure are funny.
MY GSP does this. I could not believe he was blowing bubbles from his nose. The breeder told me she threw treats in a pool when he was little so that's why. Still is amusing and he is 2.5 yrs.

PS- My boy's littermate eats at my house quite often. She inhales food. I just throw a few toys (Kongs) in the bowl and it slows her down.