To TPLO or not

MATT4126

To TPLO or not

Post by MATT4126 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:02 am

Long lurker, but first time poster. 2 1/2 year old GSP has either a ruptured or torn CCl. Our vet has given us 4 options and was hoping some wisdom here can help guide us in the right direction. Cheapest is the lateral suture which according to her used to be the gold standard 20 years ago, and usually works fine with the correct rehab. Most expensive is the TPLO which I have done a bunch of reading on and seems to be a robust fix. Two in between which she indicated were somewhat new methods include a Tibial tuberosity and a tight rope method. These both seem interesting and make some sense based on what she has shown me.

She is an active 2 1/2 year old who loves to hunt. Unfortunately our hunting season is shot for this year. Any advice would be appreciated...I want to do right by the dog, but not break the bank.

Thanks.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: To TPLO or not

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:41 am

I have had no experience with your situation,KNOCK ON WOOD.I'm just posting to see if your vet has told you that alot of dogs that tear one ACL chances are they will tear the other.That's my understanding anyway but may be wrong.I'm sure others with that problem will speak up.
Good luck with what ever decision you make.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:46 am

this is one of those injurys that, in my opinion, we just dont have an excellent fix for. I do the lateral fabellar suture occasionally, but have not been real happy with the results.

I listened to a vet from U of MINN. speak a couple months ago about ACL tears and surgery. This guy has done hundreds of them, and used every technique there is known to the vet community. Has researched and compared the different techniques and surgical options extensively. Really a bright guy and knows his stuff. Here is what he told the audinece of vets: none of the different ways to fix an ACL tear are better than the others - they ALL have pluses and minuses. AND, with ANY of these techniques the best you can hope for is 90% of normal, and that will take at least 4-6 months.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:03 pm

I can speak from experience concerning one of my dogs and CCL tears.

My 80# Hound cross, who is now 12 yrs, tore her left CCL in the late spring 2008. I work at Cornell Vet School and spoke to 2 the orthopedic surgeons and also DVM friends, all who recommended TPLO. I also did a bunch of online research ---which in hindsight, I do not recommend unless you are looking at scientific studies/articles. You will read horror stories about dogs post-TPLO and bad results. You would probably find this with any procedure. The extracap suture procedure scared me in a big, active dog.

Chloe had a TPLO in June of 2008. She is now 12 yrs old, sound as a whistle(except for a touch of elbow arthritis), and very active. I could not have made a better decision. At that time, they were not doing TTAs or tightrope procedures. The important points I think are: 1) find an excellent orthopedic surgeon who has lots of experience. After all in a TPLO they are sawing the tibia in half at a very precise angle. 2) Take your time and rehab your dog properly. 3) Keep the dog at a thin weight.

I know TTAs and tightrope are now more popular but cannot comment as I have no experience.

I posted on this thread a while ago. Worth a look. Contact me if you have any other questions. Jen
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=24064

markerdown

Post by markerdown » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:24 pm

I'd do it in a heartbeat. My oldest is 8.5yrs and had TPLO done both knees. She is a big runner and a very busy girl. She is back at 99.999 % and I keep her on supplements. She's back to hunting desert quail and chukker at warp speed.

I've had 2 GSP blow out both ACLs. Bad news is once one side goes, the other is not far behind. There is another treatment , TTLO I think, it the newer technique with less down time. Do a search on TPLO and you'll find mine and others posts on this. This is a very well versed topic here. Was you dog spayed/neutered before 6 months old?

I did 4 knees in the course of 8 years. My vet hooked me up with a credit care plan. Each TPLO cost about $2500, but worth every cent to have my huntin' buddy back running pain free, hunting and leading a normal GSP life.
Live simply Love generously.
Care deeply, Speak kindly.
Hug your GSP often
Leave the rest to God.

MATT4126

Post by MATT4126 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks for the responses. She was spayed prior to her first heat, and in my research suggests this is probably a bit young. She is scheduled for surgery next week, so we need to make up our mind pretty quick which procedure for her to have. We are already preparing for the next blow-out.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:43 pm

We are already preparing for the next blow-out.
There is a 40-50% chance of this so don't assume it will happen. Be aware of it, keep her fit and trim but also stay positive.

PM me with your email if you want my rehab protocol. I have a pdf file of it and it is a 0-90 day post-op rehab schedule that was what I used. I showed it to my ortho DVM and the rehab DVM and both said it was a great resource. Easy to follow

gonhntn

Post by gonhntn » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:56 pm

Just do it. I had a similar situation with my little English Pointer last year at this time. Had the TPLO and we have been hunting since September. She is doing awsome. It did cost me about 2500.00, but thats cheap considering the alternative. Most importantly is post surgery therapy and good supplements. heck you have a whole year to get her in shape for next fall. Good Luck!!!!