cut on foot

redman25

cut on foot

Post by redman25 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:54 am

Pup got his foot cut on something while running him in the national forest. its between his toes and the large pad. It looks to be a couple centimeters deep, but he isn't favoring the foot at all. I've flushed it with peroxide and put antibiotic ointment on it and obviously won't be running him until it heals. Anything else I should do?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: cut on foot

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:59 am

Go back reclean and get that ointment out of the area

Ointments only will gather dirt and debris if it isn't deep just keep it clean maybe put a cream type antibiotic on it at first cleaning but keeping it clean and dry will heal faster
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:18 am

I would soak it in warm water with antibacterial soap (hand soap,etc) to clean it. Peroxide is pretty harsh on tissue.

redman25

Post by redman25 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:30 am

Well I'm glad I posted prematurely. I was actually on the way to the store to get the peroxide and ointment, but posted that way because that was the immediate plan. No ointment and no peroxide then. I bought neosporin wound cleanser, which is just a foaming liquid antiseptic. I also picked up some liquid band aid. It hardens after application to keep dirt out, and is supposedly breathable. Should I use that or not? It's not a huge cut, but it has some depth. I'm concerned about dirt getting in it when I let me out to relieve himself. It's on his back foot...don't think I mentioned that, if it even makes any difference.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:49 am

As long as it didn't cut muscle just keeping it cleaned is the best thing, you would be surprised at how deep cuts can look and not be as bad as it one would think.

You can try the liquidband aid stuff but I bet your dog will lick at it also.which FYI licking is fine also it will help to keep clean as LONG as the dog is not obsessing on it

As for letting out to potty no problem if the paw gets real dirty and you are worried about it just rinse it out
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

redman25

Post by redman25 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:01 am

kninebirddog wrote:As long as it didn't cut muscle just keeping it cleaned is the best thing, you would be surprised at how deep cuts can look and not be as bad as it one would think.

You can try the liquidband aid stuff but I bet your dog will lick at it also.which FYI licking is fine also it will help to keep clean as LONG as the dog is not obsessing on it

As for letting out to potty no problem if the paw gets real dirty and you are worried about it just rinse it out
Thanks. I feel like if it was into the muscle he would be showing some signs of discomfort, correct? He doesn't seem to be in any pain at all. If I hadn't seen the blood on his crate blanket, I wouldn't have even known he was cut.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:34 am

I wouldn't seal the wound. Even though it's not a puncture, I'd leave it open to air. Dogs can and do get tetanus. Oral antibiotics might be a good idea, too.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:55 am

I would just keep it clean and wash out with the wound wash stuff.. Just going off your description it Sounds like it is a good little cut but nothing that even the dog finds uncomfortable
might even add a little sugar to the wound and then wash out and dry thoroughly this also acts as a healing agent plus it will shrink up any swelling helping the healing process

Just watch it but I bet in a couple days it will be fine

If you see any signs of it getting worse like any swelling then take appropriate actions

redman25

Post by redman25 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:14 pm

Thanks again. We have a close friend at the vet, so we have easy access to antibiotics if needed as well. I think it will be fine, but I get a little anxious. Don't want something small to become something big.............

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:05 pm

Lots of good advice. Keeping in mind, there are 2.54 centimeters in an inch, so that sounds like a deep cut. Perhaps stitches or staples? Of course, it may need to be left open.
big steve

redman25

Post by redman25 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:23 pm

I probably overstated the depth off the cuff. It's more like 1 cm

redman25

Post by redman25 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:09 pm

Well, maybe I didn't overstate how deep it was. Our veterinarian had to at least look at him before I could get the antibiotics, and the pup ended up with a couple of stitches to close it up. The cut had an arched shape and curved back under the pad. Glad I took him in now. No sense in taking any chances....he's my boy

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:56 pm

Safe then sorry always the best

Keep us informed