THE BEST dog food bar none!!!!

Hondo

THE BEST dog food bar none!!!!

Post by Hondo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:56 pm

Actually I wish.

I was Christmas shopping at Costco today and noticed that they sell Atta Boy dog food which I have never heard of until Costco started selling it a while back. A 60# bag sells for $19.99 at the Costco by my house.

I'm sure many of the members would have a field day on the ingredients list. I didn't get a chance to read it myself, but I would imagine that it is probably not the most desirable.

But it sure would be nice to pay $19.99 for 60# worth of feed.

I read a prior post written by tommyboy72 where he stated that he feeds cheap dog food and then adds to it to improve the quality. I've seen the pictures of his dogs that he has posted and they sure seem to be in great health and in good condition. Maybe doing the same thing with Atta Boy would be something worth trying, especially with many of the forum members having multiple dogs.

-Hondo

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: THE BEST dog food bar none!!!!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:18 am

What ever floats your boat
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:07 am

We had dogs at the farm that ate leftover and fermenting barley & flax mash, horse pellets & hoof trimmings and did just fine. They never had Frontline or any of that stuff.

Everyone has gotten all fancy with their dogs.

If you have ever been to Manila there are packs of dogs eating garbage and they seem just as happy as anyone's dog.

Christmas cards with the dog in it, yeah sure.

:D

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:15 am

My dad used to feed his hounds hog pellets most of the year and coon carcasses in the winter. They did ok. :)
big steve

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:15 am

I got a dog that I can't keep out of my pigeon feed. Loves it and would rather eat it then his dog food. Go figure?

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:23 am

You mean like this?
Xmas2010x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:28 am

jlp8cornell wrote:
You mean like this?
Xmas2010x.jpg
That is so wrong. I bet you let them sleep in bed with you.

Hahahah you forgot to light the fire.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:43 am

jlp8cornell wrote:
You mean like this?
Xmas2010x.jpg
And we wonder why some dogs bite their owners :lol: :lol: :lol: JK JK

Love the picture

HOPE YOU HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:56 pm

That is so wrong. I bet you let them sleep in bed with you.
Of course they sleep in the bed. From the polls on here, seems like about 55% of GDF people do they same thing :-)
Love the picture

HOPE YOU HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS
And to you as well!!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:58 pm

I shouldn't talk I have an organic, New Zealand rabbit defrosting for Mickey's Christmas dinner.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:26 pm

I shouldn't talk I have an organic, New Zealand rabbit defrosting for Mickey's Christmas dinner.
Why am I not surprised? Mickey is spoiled. My kids will be picking voles out of a field for their treat. Chloe got 12 once in 30 mins. She is hoping for that again! Voles are nature's popcorn. Yum

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:42 pm

mcbosco wrote:I shouldn't talk I have an organic, New Zealand rabbit defrosting for Mickey's Christmas dinner.
What is an organic New Zealand rabbit? And why can't a hunting dog find his own organic rabbit?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Ezzy, every 4H kid knows what a New Zealand is. Stop playing games. :lol:

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:17 pm

What is an organic New Zealand rabbit?
I raised rabbits when I was a kid- for 4H/shows/etc. Had a NZ, big- white and red eyes, ~8#. NZ are your basic meat rabbits. Everyone had them. I had mostly mini-lops, ~6-6.5#.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:45 pm

Native Level 3 Dog Food

http://www.nativedogfood.com/products/level3.php

The secret is in the trace minerals- they unlock your dog's ability to reap the benefits of the crude protein
in the dog food.
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:23 pm

GrayDawg wrote:Native Level 3 Dog Food

http://www.nativedogfood.com/products/level3.php

The secret is in the trace minerals- they unlock your dog's ability to reap the benefits of the crude protein
in the dog food.
Now this is a new twist. How in the world does trace minerals let your dog digest protein? Have to go along with the importance of all of the minerals but they serve a different purpose than aiding digestion of other ingredients.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:31 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:
What is an organic New Zealand rabbit?
I raised rabbits when I was a kid- for 4H/shows/etc. Had a NZ, big- white and red eyes, ~8#. NZ are your basic meat rabbits. Everyone had them. I had mostly mini-lops, ~6-6.5#.
I am quite familiar with New Zealands whether they be red, white, black, or blue. And you are right the white ones along with the Californians are the premier meat producing rabbits. You weights are a little low as an 8 lb'er would be disqualified if it was a senior. The does should be around 10 lbs or a little more while the bucks should be 9. What I was questioning is an organic one. Never met one of those that I am aware of.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:43 am

"Organically Raised", that is the trick they use to get us city folk to part with another $2lb. :roll:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:28 am

mcbosco wrote:"Organically Raised", that is the trick they use to get us city folk to part with another $2lb. :roll:
There isn't any other way to raise a rabbit. There are no medications that are even approved for them so all we feed is alfalfa and wheat midds with the minerals and vitamins. They aren't really great for your dog though as they have very little fat with none in the tissue at all.

Oh well, it seems to work if people even buy them for dog food at the price they retail for.

Merry Christmas

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:42 am

There is a protocol for getting the green organic sticker put on food. I bought a few after the county fair this year and they were cheap.

He likes them, especially the bones, but there is an outside chance I make cacciatore with it. :D

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:39 am

Ezzy,
The Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate,
L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Proteinate, & Calcium Iodate in the Native Level 3 dog food affect the dog's digestive enzymes so as to maximize the dog's ability to "extract" the most protein possible from the food.

What good is dog food that is 35% crude protein if your dog is crapping out 18% of that 35%? Did you ever eat canned corn and then look in the toilet the next day before you flushed? It's a crude analogy, but you get my point. Feeding high protein food isn't enough- in & of itself. It must be a food that the dog can effeciently process so as to get the absolute most out of the ingredients they have digested. Before they crap it out!

I'll go try to dig up some of the hardcopy whitepapers from the Native seminar I attended a few years back. Whenever I start asking Eukanuba(sp?) or Purina folks about this, they clam up pretty quick when I start asking about trace minerals in their dog food.

Rob

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:50 am

I don't know of a single dog food that doesn't have trace minerals included. They have to be there to even claim it is a complete feed, but many of the ones you listed are just mineral supplements and not what is called trace mineral. Think we all can agree that all minerals are just as essential as the protein, carbs, and fats but most are not connected to the dogs digestion that I am aware of. And as far as your analogy, but what you are seeing is the hull off of the kernel and has little to do with the digestive process since we all know the hull of most seeds is mainly fiberwhich we don't digest but the rest of the grain is digested and it has nothing to do with minerals.

Hope you can find some research results that show the connection.

Ezzy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:17 pm

I know there are many places to look but here is just a list of most trace minerals we know of today and a short explanation of what they do in the body.

http://www.1choicevitamins.com/page/953376 Check it out if you care to.

Ezzy

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:08 pm

mcbosco wrote:
If you have ever been to Manila there are packs of dogs eating garbage and they seem just as happy as anyone's dog.

:D
I'd like to see those dogs hunt hard for 4 hours a day 4-5 days a week :?: :?: :?:

I got a good idea what the results would be.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:57 pm

Several of the minerals and trace minerals are involved at least indirectly in the digestive process. They are not digestive enzymes per se however.
big steve

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:15 pm

We were paying 20.00 for black Sportmix...24/20. It was just upped to 55 lbs......Steve Ries has us using Native right now...Pricey, but good food..
brenda

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:15 am

Ol Roy is top notch! :lol: :lol:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:11 am

The price increases in dog food have just started. Look for another 15% hike in 2011.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:44 am

big steve46 wrote:Several of the minerals and trace minerals are involved at least indirectly in the digestive process. They are not digestive enzymes per se however.
Allow me to clarify my submission: The combination of trace minerals in the Native Dog Food work to maximize a dog's digestive enzymes so as to break down the food as much as possible towards the goal of allowing the animal to reap the most of the nutrients of the food- rather than crap them out.

Rob

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:04 am

GrayDawg wrote:
big steve46 wrote:Several of the minerals and trace minerals are involved at least indirectly in the digestive process. They are not digestive enzymes per se however.
Allow me to clarify my submission: The combination of trace minerals in the Native Dog Food work to maximize a dog's digestive enzymes so as to break down the food as much as possible towards the goal of allowing the animal to reap the most of the nutrients of the food- rather than crap them out.

Rob
---------

Kinda what I was saying. Most good feeds have decent quality minerals and trace minerals that do that. There's no question that some good quality feeds are assimilated a bit better than others. That's why I really like Loyall, and it's less than .75 a pound.
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:40 am

Steve, you could do better than this. Not several but all minerals,trace minerals, proteins, fats, and carbs are involved indirectly in the digestive process. But come up with he ones that are directly involved and tell us what they do. Gray Dog is supposedly working on the same thing.

And maybe you can tell us where one company finds the supply of these better trace minerals that the next company can't, since a trace mineral is not manufactured but is just a mineral that is needed in minute quanities.

Merry Christmas

Ezzy

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:10 am

GrayDawg wrote: Did you ever eat canned corn and then look in the toilet the next day before you flushed? It's a crude analogy, but you get my point. Feeding high protein food isn't enough- in & of itself.
Did you ever pick those kernels out to check if what you think you are seeing is actually what you are seeing? What do you think you would see in the toilet if the bread you ate was made from wheat with the hull included and intact?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:19 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Steve, you could do better than this. Not several but all minerals,trace minerals, proteins, fats, and carbs are involved indirectly in the digestive process. But come up with he ones that are directly involved and tell us what they do. Gray Dog is supposedly working on the same thing.

And maybe you can tell us where one company finds the supply of these better trace minerals that the next company can't, since a trace mineral is not manufactured but is just a mineral that is needed in minute quanities.

Merry Christmas

Ezzy
Is this pick the most important mineral day? OK OK how about Manganese. If your kibble has Kelp Meal or you use a supplement with Kelp Meal you are using the most complete natural source of "trace" minerals. Native has peat in it perhaps thats what the company thinks its "trace" mineral edge is.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:35 am

ezzy333 wrote:

Merry Christmas

Ezzy
--------

I was just trying to address the subject which was about minerals. There is no doubt some products are put together by certain companies for assimilative purposes. Minerals are also compounded differently. Thanks, but I don't need a lecture. Merry Christmas.
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:47 am

big steve46 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Merry Christmas

Ezzy
--------

I was just trying to address the subject which was about minerals. There is no doubt some products are put together by certain companies for assimilative purposes. Minerals are also compounded differently. Thanks, but I don't need a lecture. Merry Christmas.
Oh come on. With all the lectures you give us on good dog food and how much a pound is reasinable you must be running low. :lol: It's Christmas and your humoruos gene should be showing. But I will be careful with my lectures in the future plus my thoughts when I read your lectures.

Have a good Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:57 am

imgres.jpeg
Hey you two stop fighting. I always picture you guys this way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:05 pm

mcbosco wrote:
imgres.jpeg
Hey you two stop fighting. I always picture you guys this way.
------

We were not fighting. We were both enlightening you peons! I like to make sure ezzy is not "nodding off" too much also. :D

The picture was nice, but I have a beard only. :P
big steve

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:08 pm

It just started snowing hard here, but I'm going out to run my young Llewellin anyway. Setters can tolerate bad weather than your little sissy stub-tails! :P :P
big steve

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:31 pm

big steve46 wrote:It just started snowing hard here, but I'm going out to run my young Llewellin anyway. Setters can tolerate bad weather than your little sissy stub-tails! :P :P
Yeah keep dreaming.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:57 pm

big steve46 wrote:It just started snowing hard here, but I'm going out to run my young Llewellin anyway. Setters can tolerate bad weather than your little sissy stub-tails! :P :P
Mine used to have long tails but when they pointed the tails were sticking straight up and they were hit by lightning and one of them was hunting in weather so cold his tail froze and broke off. Since then we dont go out when it's storming or the temp is below -40.

Ezzy

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:32 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Mine used to have long tails but when they pointed the tails were sticking straight up and they were hit by lightning and one of them was hunting in weather so cold his tail froze and broke off. Since then we dont go out when it's storming or the temp is below -40.

Ezzy
--------------------------

My Pappy used to say, "Tell that to a mule, and he will kick your head off!" :D
big steve

fordman

Post by fordman » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:39 am

GrayDawg wrote:

Rob
Tried it on 3 dawgs for 4 months, they all lost weight and went like gesse, plus at over $40.00 a bag I'll pass. So all those great minerals must not work. :roll: