Pro Plan vs. Taste of the Wild

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Pro Plan vs. Taste of the Wild

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:16 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Don't quite see what your post has to do with the quote of mine you copied. Don't believe I even mentioned a dog food in it. I did refer to Bill Graves saying he was still feeding PPP and doing well and I offer encouragement based on a whole lot of personal experience and the hundreds of dogs that friends are feeding and their dogs are performing as planned. Tell me how your dog performs and how much time and money you spend on feed and all of the additives and other products you buy and then explain how any of us that have a kennel full of dogs should avoid the kibbles you don't like and buy the products you are for 5 to 25 dogs. That's why I tell you and anyone else to feed what you want but don't always try to make out it is better than what most of us have found will work and work well.

Ezzy
You always duck. You said rather sarcastically that I would recommend a supplement. Show me where I did in this thread. Several people criticized the product in this thread and you just bust in implying, well more than implying, they are wrong, inexperienced, gullible or stupid. Then you always revert to the same holier than thou "show me" stuff. Don't you think others can do simple math?

Do you not realize that you do this?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:22 pm

Sorry guy that I indicated what you would say. But after reading these posts I probably am right because you believe in supplements just as much as I don't. Difference is I don't really care since that is your opinion and you have a right to it. I am not sorry however that I give people a straight answer when they ask and tell the what I think but have never tried to tell them they have to follow my ideas. Just didn't know that was Holier than thou but sure glad you think so. Must be making headway in trying to teach a little about how feed are formulated and why.

Think you are just going to have to put up with it as long as people are wanting info on dog food and how to use it. Oh and show me where I am wrong---- 8) :lol:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:50 pm

I've fed both TOTW and PPP to my dogs. Both of my dogs did well on each food, but with PPP my dogs had more energy and could run/hunt longer. To try to get the same performance from TOTW I had to up their food and with the cost of the TOTW it was getting expensive. I am now feeding a different brand. My dogs are doing very well. They have plenty of energy and the food is less expensive that either TOTW or PPP.

Someone mentioned Canidae earlier. I fed Canidae to my lab for quite a while and she did awesome on it. Exceptional coat, plenty of energy, firm stools, etc. However when Canidae changed formulas I started noticing a decline in my lab. Her fur was thinning on her face due to her itching. I wasn't sure if it was the formula change or just a bad bag of food. I tried two more large bags and the problems did not get better. I was forced to switch. I would still be feeding Canidae if the formula hadn't been changed or if my lab did well, but unfortunately that was not the case.

BillGraves

Re: Pro Plan vs. Taste of the Wild UPDATE 1/13

Post by BillGraves » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:37 pm

PPP for about 2.5 weeks now and can see improvement in my dog's coat. It is thicker and shinier (thicker because of weather also. He is outside all day and it is pretty cold around here.) He has no lack of energy, but he never really did. He is at 3.5 cups a day and the ribs are starting to not show as much and his hips aren't either. I'll give it another week or two and update again. I like it so far.

Bill

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:29 pm

mcbosco wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:No, again you are incorrect. I suggested that since he lives in PA that he take advantage of the Annamaet's availability there. Ezzy, there are several people on this short thread saying they have had a bad experience with Purina products. Why do you second guess them. Are you the only person in the country that can judge the physical condition of a dog? You are entitled to you view but it is always that someone is wrong or, worse, stupid. You don't even use it so how would you know.

I for one wouldn't spend $45 for a 38lb bag of legacy.
Maybe you are beginning to realize why I second gues a lot of statements I know aren't right because I have used them or seen the results of the deeding test we and a lot of other companies as well as our universities do. I know because I have been there. How about you?

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 pm

mcbosco wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:McBosco will tell you to use a supplement and I don't think there is much wrong with using them. My biggest concern is with some types of supplements is when you provide the things the dog should be producing on its own, you just make the problem worse as the body will shut down completely since it no longer needs to produce the enzyme. But by and large, our dog foods of today have everything the dog needs and in my experience I have never had a problem that needed anything added to it. You read the ads about feeding a spoonful of some protein supplement and if you stop to think even if it was pure protein a spoonful would make very little difference in the total amount the dog would be getting. Stay the course and you will see results. Dogs are like people and some stay thinner and they are usually the healthiest ones. We just like to see ourselves and our animals a lot heavier than we really need to be to be healthy but it is so easy to overfeed with our really good dog foods of today.

Ezzy
No, again you are incorrect. I suggested that since he lives in PA that he take advantage of the Annamaet's availability there. Ezzy, there are several people on this short thread saying they have had a bad experience with Purina products. Why do you second guess them. Are you the only person in the country that can judge the physical condition of a dog? You are entitled to you view but it is always that someone is wrong or, worse, stupid. You don't even use it so how would you know.

I for one wouldn't spend $45 for a 38lb bag of legacy.
If you see the results that Bill is reporting you will know why I sometimes second guess people. After seeing thousands of dogs eat Purina feeds plus from years of experience and seeing the results of many feed tests I am pretty well aware of what a feed will do and if it is a good one or not. I never said a certain dog could not have problems with it but if they do it is 99% sure the problem is the dog and not the feed companies that are responsible. Look at the results that Bill is reporting and they fall right in place with what I expected from those feeds. Both are good feeds as far as I know but I do know for sure that PPP is good. And I know Purina is a responsible, reliable company that has invested more into the dog food manufacturing and research than any other company. They along with many universities and some co-ops I have worked with have continually strived to research and make the best feed possible and at a reasonable cost. And Bill is the benefactor as he reaps the result of what they all are doing.

I just don't like to see bad info put out that someone needing good advice might follow and have it really mess up his dog or not be able to take advantage of all the good things out there for us today.

Ezzy

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:56 pm

So we are about 4 weeks in or so with the PPP and we are at 4 cups/day (2 morning, 2 evening) with prozyme and his front ribs are starting to cover up a little bit. No lack of energy (not that he ever had a lack of energy) and poops are more regular and all firm. No loose stool unless I take him out for a run on a local farm (usually 2-3x/week) and he just gets so excited that it is loose ( I know this is common.) I can't say anything bad about PPP. It is more expensive than what I would hope for but if it helps this hyperactive dog keep weight on him, then it's worth it. I am also starting to search for an addition to the pack to keep him company when I'm at work.

Bill

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:59 pm

glad you are seeing positive results

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:52 pm

FYI, there is a $5.00 coupon on ProPlan's FaceBook page that is good through February 21.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:35 am

FaceBook? :wink:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:12 am

mcbosco wrote:FaceBook? :wink:
Yeppers! That's where a lot of companies are going with coupons because it's an opt in market.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:23 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
Yeppers! That's where a lot of companies are going with coupons because it's an opt in market.
It is crazy. My wife has her facebook messages hooked up to send texts to her phone. We'll be out and about on a Saturday, she'll get a text, and say "let's stop by Sonic - 2 for 1 everthing until 2:00."

It is the next wave of advertising. I'm with you though, Bosco...

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:25 am

AzDoggin wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:
It is crazy. My wife has her facebook messages hooked up to send texts to her phone. We'll be out and about on a Saturday, she'll get a text, and say "let's stop by Sonic - 2 for 1 everthing until 2:00."

It is the next wave of advertising. I'm with you though, Bosco...
If she's on Foursquare and a user, then the advertisers will know her flash ad response, too.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:40 am

Hello all, new here to the forum but saw this thread and thought id put in my thoughts....our dog was on almost every kind of dog food out there not because of weight issues but because of allergies and the vet was helping us figure out the issue...keeping in mind some allergens can take upto 3 months to leave the body...it has been a long road but we finally found that BLUE BUFFALO is all he can be on pretty much and with no hot spots, hairloss, red waxy ears anymore we swear by the stuff...we now know he cannot have corn, wheat, or soy and no chicken by products or his system goes wacko!!...He does ok on the LAMB AND BROWN RICE..I dont remember who said it on this thread but they were 100% correct when they said each dog is different and what works for one may not work for others...my husband and i have friends that have shorthairs and have used nothing but IAMS and never once had an issue but our dog did horrible on it...diarrhea, itched like crazy!!...Our boy was on med-ical threw the vet (duck and potatoe) at 100 bucks a bag and also diarrhea constantly and red paws...and thats a hypo allergenic dog food thats top of the line you can only buy at the vet..but its reaaally high in calories/fat and recommendation was 2 cups a day for him...he was starving with 2 cups a day...so on the BLUE BUFFALO he eats 4 cups aday and some BLUE BISCUITS FOR SNACKS..otherwise he cant eat anything or he'll start itching...so it just goes to show ya every dog is different and it takes time to figure out whats best for your own dog not what works for others :D ........ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:19 pm

Ok, just a little update:

Still at 4 cups/day but am doing it a little differently. I feed him 2 cups in the morning before I go to school at 5:45. He is outside all day and has the run of the yard. I get home usually around 3:30 and I give him one more cup of food plus some chicken neck/back, liver (only once a week or so), or a nice meaty bone. At around 10:00 when I make my way to bed, I will give him one more cup and bring him in for the night. He has put a little covering on his hips and the ribs are showing less and less. With his morning and mid-afternoon feedings, I add 2-3 cups of water to the bowl of kibble to make sure he is getting his fluids (I do not do this at night because I don't want dog pee everywhere!)

Seems to be working...slow but sure.

Bill

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:49 am

Bill,

If you stay with the back & necks the cheapest prices are from restaurant supply houses but you might need to buy 50lb boxes at a time.

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:41 pm

Our local market actually has them on the cheap as well...not sure about price/lb but it is pretty good. I'll check into it though!

BillGraves

Re: Pro Plan vs. Taste of the Wild *Final Update*

Post by BillGraves » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:52 am

Have had my boy on PPP for 2 months now. I had been giving him 4 cups/day with no real change. I took him to the vet for another issue and he weighed 13 lbs. less than when I got him 1.5 yrs. ago. (He is almost 7 now). She took some blood after hearing what I have tried with him to get him to gain some weight. I took a stool sample in as well to rule out worms. No worms and the blood was tested for pancreatic function and all was normal. I guess he just has a super fast metabolism. Stools are firm and dark and not much of it. Well, she told me to try to jump it up to 6 cups/day and see how that goes. I have been doing that for about a week now and it seems to be working. No loose stool, not much more output and his ribs are FINALLY starting to cover up. Hip bones are almost covered and he has the same amount of energy and looks like he FEELS good (not that he ever really looked like he felt sick or malnourished.) Now, this might be a silly question, but when the bag says "cups," they are talking like a measuring cup, right?!

Bill

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:14 am

Going to 6 cups does not make sense for your wallet or for the dog, IMO. I would just switch. The nuclear option is Royal Canin 4800 with 30% fat. I have heard that puts weight on dead dogs.

Annamaet Ultra, since you are PA, or Pro Pac might be a way to go as well. PP High Performance is a bargain, lots of calories.

Yeah they mean an 8 ounce cup by volume not weight. Usually this is 3.5 - 4.5 ounces by weight.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:06 am

mcbosco wrote:Going to 6 cups does not make sense for your wallet or for the dog, IMO. I would just switch. The nuclear option is Royal Canin 4800 with 30% fat. I have heard that puts weight on dead dogs.

Annamaet Ultra, since you are PA, or Pro Pac might be a way to go as well. PP High Performance is a bargain, lots of calories.

Yeah they mean an 8 ounce cup by volume not weight. Usually this is 3.5 - 4.5 ounces by weight.
+1... i would find a food that does more for less.. the royal feeding recommendation is only 3 cups a day for a highly active dog and ive heard how it can beef up a dog quickly..how they dont get the runs from all that fat is beyond me but ive never heard anything bad about it..good luck bill......ruth

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:23 am

mcbosco wrote:Going to 6 cups does not make sense for your wallet or for the dog, IMO. I would just switch. The nuclear option is Royal Canin 4800 with 30% fat. I have heard that puts weight on dead dogs.

Don't get your point. If the dog needs 6 cups why would you change feed.. If he needs more of one then he will need more of another feed as well. And if he wants to add fat then just add a little oil to what you are feeding. But it sounds like you have found the answer and when you get the dog to the weight you want then start cutting back. As long as he is responding well and still has a small firm stool you are feeding right.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:21 pm

The point is pretty clear to me. Besides the cost of feeding 6 cups which about $1.5 a day, there is the health of the dog. GSP's are at a high risk for bloat and there is a direct link between the volume fed to a dog and the risk of bloat. 6 cups is just a lot of kibble to give a dog everyday, and clean-up.

I am not knocking Pro Plan, but for this dog I would look for something more efficient.

I don't agree at all with your statement that he would need to feed the same amount of something else.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:29 pm

mcbosco wrote:The point is pretty clear to me. Besides the cost of feeding 6 cups which about $1.5 a day, there is the health of the dog. GSP's are at a high risk for bloat and there is a direct link between the volume fed to a dog and the risk of bloat. 6 cups is just a lot of kibble to give a dog everyday, and clean-up.

I am not knocking Pro Plan, but for this dog I would look for something more efficient.
Though I know it will fly in the face of many pet owners but the dogestive capabilities of dogs do not vary a tenth as much as you would think from reading all of the posts on a forum like this. If that dog needs more feed he will need more of any feed he is fed in all likelyhood. And the chance for bloat is quite low if the dog is not subjected to hard exercise immediately after feeding though we all know it could happen. Sounds like he has found something that is working and it will be a temporary fix and I sure wouldn't advise changing a feed unser those conditions.

And you also have to reconize is the dog is geting 3 cups at a time and that is not mosr than many or should we say most dogs get at a single feeding.

Ezzy

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:31 am

I'll ask the same here:

Ezzy: How does it make sense to feed a GSP 6+ cups/day? Why wouldn't you try less of a more calorie dense feed? It can't be a cost issue because you would be feeding much more of the "cheaper" food.

Just curious what your rationale is.

Fair Fields

Post by Fair Fields » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:44 am

I think his point is that if the recommended feeding is 4 cups a day with one food and it takes 6...than it is likely that if another food recommends 3 cups a day than it is going to also take more of that food as well.

If your dog is outside, it is likley that is the reason for 6 cups a day. I have a dog that gts skinny on 5 cups in the winter and is fine on 3 in the summer.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:04 am

I am not going to start looking for a different food everytime I need to change something for the dog. I know for a fact that the feed he is feeding is a good feed and it doesn't take an excessive amout to keep a dog in good shape. In this case, he wants to put a little extra weight on his dog so he moved up to 6 cups TEMPORAIRILY and it is working. Shortly he can move back down to 5 or less I would guess as the weather warms and there will be less activity. Would be my uess the dog will do fine on 4 cups in a month or so. I do not believe in changing feed everytime there is a management problem. That many times just creates more problems.

This was a simple case of wanting to put a couple of pounds on a very active dog during cold weather. 99 out of 100 times all that is needed is a little extra feed for a while till the problem is solved. Changing feed, bloat, or no other ailment really even enters into a short time temporary fix of a common problem we all have at times, no matter what feed you are feeding.

Ezzy

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:15 pm

Ezzy please clarify..you say ppp is such a good food it doesnt take an excessive amount to keep a dog in shape..but the dog is needing at least 6 cups a day, that seems excessive to me...you say feeding EXTRA feed in the winter when a dog is ACTIVE is common, yet you dont recommend feeding a dog at all on days they are active(hunting) :roll: .....ruth
Last edited by GUNDOGS on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:14 pm

There is a great deal of information available about the differences in canine and human nutritional needs and processing, however it does not always fit those pre-disposed to their opinions. According to every performance venue I can find dogs operate best when they are running on fuel that is sourced from fat, it takes time for fat to digest and be stored. High protein content is important for muscle repair. Carbohydrates(=gycol) burn "hot"and quick and stop the canine system from accessing fat storage, therefore having too much available in a dogs system keeps that channel open and eventually leads to an insulin spike and a dogs energy will crash and burn.

The trouble is many dont see it or need to. They do not necessarily need a high performance athletic dog...many hunters venues and the hunters themselves are ill equipped for long hard hours afoot. For those of you equine propelled forgive me, but most of you feed dogs for performance anyhow. There are no performance "facts" that suggest any advantage to feeding before excercise but a number of warnings and science that clarifies its detriment. It is largely believed "snacking" in extreme athletic caninines in extended excercise may have value, in high protein based easily digestable substance measured in miniscule 1 and 2 ounce quantity to avoid low blood sugar and an insulin spike.

The bloat portion of this is conjecture with enough mystery to argue any side.

...and how much a dog needs, well temperature is a huge factor an outside dog in cold weather could need 30-40-50-75% more food than a dog harbored in conditioned space when temperatures drop like they do in many of the areas folks are posting from.

This argument like many is clouded by point of view, need and education base.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:58 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:Ezzy please clarify..you say ppp is such a good food it doesnt take an excessive amount to keep a dog in shape..but the dog is needing at least 6 cups a day, that seems excessive to me...you say feeding EXTRA feed in the winter when a dog is ACTIVE is common, yet you dont recommend feeding a dog at all on days they are active(hunting) :roll: .....ruth
Ruth

If you read the results of all the tests that have been run, or even just the ones that have been posted on here you wouldn't hve to ask a question like that. I am not advocating a thing but just repeating what has been PROVEN in the hundreds of tests that have been done on the dogs. The answer has been posted many times and I don't know any better way to say it that will make it easier to understand. But here goes again. 6 cups seems excessive to keep a dog in shape but in this case the dog has been eating 4 cups and it was recommended that the dog be fed 6 cups for a couple of weeks to try and put the weight he needs back on. And sure enough it is working, So the amount of feed will have to be cut back shortly or th dog will get too heavy. I say PPP is a good feed because thousands of performance dogs are fed it and do extremely well on it so We all should know it isn't the feed that is a problem but rather sounds like a metabolism problem with this dog. And it sure doesn't sound like a severe problem but something that can be fixed quickly. I am also sure we all know it takes a lot more feed to provide the heat the dog needs to stay warm in the winter time. There is no real set figure as to how much but it is common to feed a third more in the winter than in the summer. As to feeding the day of hard exercise it is a fact that the energy that the dog is going to use today was provided by the feed it ate yesterday and before. When you hear someone say they changed feed and saw an immediate change in the energy level of the dog they are pulling your leg or just have a good imagination and see what they want to see. Digestion and absorption and then utilization takes time. On top of that a dog, as well as you, perform much better and more efficiently with an empty stomach and digestive tract. Seems that is due to the less weight, the cooler body temps, and the greater comfort of being empty and not have things moving around as much in the gut area.

Please go back and read what Wyndancer posted yesterday and that is just one of many many studies on the subject. And then go talk to the handler of the winner of most any trial and listen to what they have found out that let there dog win.

Ezzy

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:42 am

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/petowners/ ... dogrmb.php Check out this website it only makes sense to feed your dog what it would eat in the wild. As for me I feed pro plan performance because it is convenient, high in protein ,safe ,you never see a recall at Purina , available, you can get it anywhere you are hunting. As far as ezzy's comment on protein he could not be farther off base. Animal protein and plant protein are very different and the body absorbs and uses them in a very different manner. If I am not mistaken it was Eukanuba that took a grant from P.E.T.A. to create a vegetarian dog food that was high in protein for the iditarod dog race. The previous winners dogs did not finish the race. If you look at the protein contents of dog food and the source is from chicken some manufactures use part such as the beaks and feet and what they call meat by products. Purina does not. If a truck breaks down with a load of meat on board and it goes bad you know it is not gonna end up in Purina. Purina also sponsors all hunting sports and in a world where the P.E.T.A. types are always on the attack why not use the people that support us.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Ezzy, What are you calling "quality of protein"? Since the body uses chemicals called amino acids and we can find them in many different places, just what is the difference between an amino acid found in pork or chicken or any other source? It is just a chemical that we have given the name protein to so we can identify what they do as far as body use goes. In other words I don't think the body can tell where an amino acid comes from,whether it be from a cow or from cat poop. The differences may come from other things but not from the amino acids themselves
Ezzy,
Sounds like this poster is refering to the biological value(BV) of protein sources(a measure of the proportion of absorbed protein from a food which becomes incorporated into the proteins of the organism's body) I very much respect your opinion and work history greatly. I am not asking this question to start a pro/anti corn debate on this forum. This is a professional question and I appreciate a professional response. Question: Why does corn have such a low BV rating? Thanks. -Mark

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Because the protein in the corn is out of balance to what the body needs. Thats why we have always had to supplement the corn based feeds with other protein sources. The thing about corn is that it is not included in any feed as a major protein source as the main purpose is the carbs and also some oil that make it very high in calories. What protein you get out of the corn is just a bonus. However, we do have a high lysine corn that is used as a major protein source along with the carbs and fat content and it is an extra ordinary feed ingredient. The extra lysine in the high lysine corn allowed us to lower the total protein between 2 and 3% and still get the same results.

Ezzy

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:47 pm

Ezzy, Thanks for the food for thought and your time! Much appreciated. You bring up some interesting things to mill over(no pun intended!). Thanks again. -Mark

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:05 am

northUpland wrote:Ezzy, Thanks for the food for thought and your time! Much appreciated. You bring up some interesting things to mill over(no pun intended!). Thanks again. -Mark

That Ezzy is probably smarter than he looks! :lol:
big steve

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:21 pm

True indeed BigSteve! Interwoven in all these arguments on this forum is a common thread. Everybody cares enough to spend time concerned about their four legged hunting partner. Whether he or she is part of a 20+ dog trial kennel, the hardcore foothunter, or a weekend warrior/preserver gunner; each dog is an individual. Guys like BigSteve, Ezzy, and others have a ton of real life experience. And that is to be respected. No different than my grandfather and father. I appreciate and respect their insight because they are elders(I have seen the pics guys!). I also realize(as a youngster myself), just like modern technology, the dog food landscape is changing very rapidly in a short amount of time. It is evolving quicker than we can even imagine. I think an open mind is always an asset and the continued education from both past, present, and future dogmen is key to it's proper proliferation.

OK, now my pointer and I can go shoot few planted pigeons on our back forty! See ya. -Mark