Generic Dog Food Dermatosis

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Generic Dog Food Dermatosis

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:44 pm

Wow, heard a new one today. "Generic Dog Food Dermatosis", guy at the office said his GoldaDoodle has it. Severe Zinc deficiency from feeding a private label food.

Interesting.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Generic Dog Food Dermatosis

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:27 pm

mcbosco wrote:Wow, heard a new one today. "Generic Dog Food Dermatosis", guy at the office said his GoldaDoodle has it. Severe Zinc deficiency from feeding a private label food.

Interesting.
Wow, that can't be. It's those public corporations I thought that were the cause of all problems. Seriously don't hink we can get up too tight when we don't know anything about this whole deal. But we do know problems are not created because of a Generic. Sounds like there is a whole lot more to a one of a kind illness besides the food. Why don't you get more info for us?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:44 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
mcbosco wrote:Wow, heard a new one today. "Generic Dog Food Dermatosis", guy at the office said his GoldaDoodle has it. Severe Zinc deficiency from feeding a private label food.

Interesting.
Wow, that can't be. It's those public corporations I thought that were the cause of all problems. Seriously don't hink we can get up too tight when we don't know anything about this whole deal. But we do know problems are not created because of a Generic. Sounds like there is a whole lot more to a one of a kind illness besides the food. Why don't you get more info for us?

Ezzy
Hey don't get your knickers in a twist Mr. Moderator. That is actually a medical term. I guess some no-nothing Vets first associated the problem with the cheap mineral packs used in some foods. You know how some things get named, right?

sully511

Post by sully511 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:50 pm

LOL, it has to have a fancy name for it's condition because it's a "Doodle". Zinc-deficiency is genetic in quite a few breeds of dogs and Doodles are special mutts that don't have genetic conditions :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:00 pm

sully511 wrote:LOL, it has to have a fancy name for it's condition because it's a "Doodle". Zinc-deficiency is genetic in quite a few breeds of dogs and Doodles are special mutts that don't have genetic conditions :lol:
I am aware of that but just had be a jerk about it since our resident nutritionist didn't get the name even right. I apologize Sal, and thanks for finally getting my title right. But you did give e a good laugh.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:06 pm

Actually you are both dead wrong. The condition goes by several names, including what I posted, or Canine Zinc Responsive Dermatosis or Generic Dog Food Disease. It is genetic in some breeds but it also brought on by nutritional factors in others. It was first noted in dogs not genetically predisposed to it because they ate cheap food.

Mr. Moderator needs to be better informed, after equating Bloat & Torsion to Colic I have lost all faith. I remember how nicely a few Weimaraner owners explained to Mr. Moderator that we was incorrect.

The duck eggs, I could never forget that.

"The clinical differential diagnosis should include pemphigus foliaceus, zinc responsive dermatosis and generic dog food dermatosis"

From a science journal on the subject.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:57 pm

I bet it costs more at the vet the more words it has. Zinc deficiency has been around for a couple of decades. Nordic dogs are highly susceptable.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:05 pm

mcbosco wrote:Actually you are both dead wrong. The condition goes by several names, including what I posted, or Canine Zinc Responsive Dermatosis or Generic Dog Food Disease. It is genetic in some breeds but it also brought on by nutritional factors in others. It was first noted in dogs not genetically predisposed to it because they ate cheap food.

Mr. Moderator needs to be better informed, after equating Bloat & Torsion to Colic I have lost all faith. I remember how nicely a few Weimaraner owners explained to Mr. Moderator that we was incorrect.

The duck eggs, I could never forget that.

"The clinical differential diagnosis should include pemphigus foliaceus, zinc responsive dermatosis and generic dog food dermatosis"

From a science journal on the subject.
When I lost a young Arabian filly to colic after she was running and playing with several other 2 year olds and when we posted her we found a twisted stomach or torsion just like the dogs have I have made the point that though we use different names they are much alike but in different animals. Colic can result from several abnormallies however. Plus many animals die of bloat just from eating wet legumes. Do you have any idea why a cheap dog food would be so low on zinc it would cause these problems and how cheap does it have to be?

Ezzy

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Never heard of it before but....checked PubMed since I have access. Sure enough it is a "condition" apparentaly due to subpar food. Supposedly related to feeding corn and wheat-
Dogs resolved skin issues after switching feeds. Also called canine dry pyoderma or zinc responsive dermatosis.

Citation: J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1988 Mar 1;192(5):676-80.
Dermatosis associated with feeding generic dog food

Sousa CA, Stannard AA, Ihrke PJ, Reinke SI, Schmeitzel LP.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:51 pm

Dermatosis associated with feeding generic dog food
What the heck is a generic dog food? Have a feeling this might be some more quack science, not that it doesn't happen but the trying to tie it to something I am not sure exist.

Ezzy

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:55 pm

Ezzy- I think horses are a bit different. Most of the horses that colic and then are euthanized are horses that are kept in stalls/ feed way too much grain/high perf horses. The horses I saw colic over the years were always kept in an "unnatural way". I never saw a horse in 25 yrs that was kept out at pasture and then had colic. All were stalled and anxious, or fed a ton of grain.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:00 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:Ezzy- I think horses are a bit different. Most of the horses that colic and then are euthanized are horses that are kept in stalls/ feed way too much grain/high perf horses. The horses I saw colic over the years were always kept in an "unnatural way". I never saw a horse in 25 yrs that was kept out at pasture and then had colic. All were stalled and anxious, or fed a ton of grain.
Very true. That is the common cause for horses. Legumes are the common cause of cows or sheep. But we used to have problems with horses also that were working everyday and especially on a day they were pulling hard.

I agree they are caused in different ways but the end result is the same many times, a serious and often fatal case of bloat.

Ezzy

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:03 pm

What the heck is a generic dog food?
Ezzy-- will check at work tomorrow when hopefully I can read the entire paper. I was just telling you what papers I found....no comment on validity or particulars.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:21 pm

Very true. That is the common cause for horses.
Yes, horses are a pain in the a..! I have never seen such delicate creatures! My horse, who was on 100% pasture, never any issues but the expensive "fancy" horses had every lameness in the book as well as gas/atmospheric colics, etc. Of course the crazy vet student owners always thought every lameness was a fracture when in fact it was a stone bruise....

Glad to just have dogs now :-)