Straw or Cedar Chips ?

buckshot0074

Straw or Cedar Chips ?

Post by buckshot0074 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:56 am

We are using straw right now, but it makes a mess as my ES is mostly an inside dog. He is locked out in an uninsulated 'mud room' with access to the outside during the day.

I heard that cedar chips work, but not sure of the smell or if he tries to eat one or two would be harmful ....

Thanks

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Straw or Cedar Chips ?

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:59 am

buckshot0074 wrote:We are using straw right now, but it makes a mess as my ES is mostly an inside dog. He is locked out in an uninsulated 'mud room' with access to the outside during the day.

I heard that cedar chips work, but not sure of the smell or if he tries to eat one or two would be harmful ....

Thanks
We used to use pine or aspen ribbons, they were cheaper if I recall and much cleaner for a dog with a coat like your.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:23 pm

I like pine shavings.
brenda

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:27 pm

I used to *really* like cedar. Then, I read studies about the aromatics from cedar causing respiratory problems. Since then, no cedar. Still miss the smell.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:44 pm

The problem I found with chips was that they stuck to the coat and would get tracked outside into the kennel run. Straw always seemed to stay in the box.

buckshot0074

Post by buckshot0074 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:49 pm

Brittguy wrote:The problem I found with chips was that they stuck to the coat and would get tracked outside into the kennel run. Straw always seemed to stay in the box.
That is the problem I am having with my pup, that the straw is getting brought into the living area of our house. I don't care if it is on the floor in the 'mud room' but ....

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:13 pm

Gentlemen,
I do not use either.
RGD/Dave

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:56 pm

My dogs prefer a King sized bed and down comforters. :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Birddogz wrote:My dogs prefer a King sized bed and down comforters. :D
You let the poop eater sleep with you?

buckshot0074

Post by buckshot0074 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:24 pm

snips wrote:I like pine shavings.
I opted for the pine shavings, concerned that my pup may not like the smell of the cedar

I will probably do a combo of the pine and straw, Thanks to all that replied

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Im using switch grass this year and have been very pleased....it holds up well and doesn't turn to dust and dogs seem to stay nice a cozy in it......

Any natural grass has to be better than straw....straw doesnt last long and becomes very dusty. I used to use cedar ribbon bedding but dogs always had weepy eyes and even cedar becomes dusty.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:47 pm

Brittguy wrote:The problem I found with chips was that they stuck to the coat and would get tracked outside into the kennel run. Straw always seemed to stay in the box.
No matter what i use some of my dogs knock some of there bedding into the run and shavings is a little easier to clean for me so that's what i use.

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:05 pm

I used to use straw for bedding as it was readily available for our horses until once when my Brittany got a really bad ear infection. The vet dug out a piece of straw that was embedded deep in her ear canal and began to fester. I now use cedar in the summer and pine chips in the winter months.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:00 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Gentlemen,
I do not use either.
RGD/Dave

So what do you use?

Nitrex

IANative

Post by IANative » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:07 pm

Straw has always been my preference.

elvisclark54

Post by elvisclark54 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:55 am

I would recommend that neither straw or grass hay be used as bedding. I am just coming to this conclusion. I have used both for years with no problems, but have been fighting a severe upper lung irritation that has been very hard to treat. I have been to several Vets and none of them can identify the problem. I had been using timothy grass hay in my houses and changing it on a regular basis. It has been wet and cold here in Montana and it was hard to keep the bedding dry. I found signs of mold growing on the floors of my houses. My wife suggested I remove all this hay and wash / with bleach and water and see what happens. I took her advice. Replaced the floor material in my houses and continued a high dose of cephalexen & sulfa tabs. The dogs are looking to be cleared up. :idea: :idea:

I know Guys she continues to remind me that "I told you"

I'M DONE WITH BEDDING OF ANY SORT. LOOKING AT HOUND HEATERS OR SOMETHING EQUIVALENT.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:16 am

Ribboned Aspen is the best.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:49 am

elvisclark54 wrote:I would recommend that neither straw or grass hay be used as bedding. I am just coming to this conclusion. I have used both for years with no problems, but have been fighting a severe upper lung irritation that has been very hard to treat. I have been to several Vets and none of them can identify the problem. I had been using timothy grass hay in my houses and changing it on a regular basis. It has been wet and cold here in Montana and it was hard to keep the bedding dry. I found signs of mold growing on the floors of my houses. My wife suggested I remove all this hay and wash / with bleach and water and see what happens. I took her advice. Replaced the floor material in my houses and continued a high dose of cephalexen & sulfa tabs. The dogs are looking to be cleared up. :idea: :idea:

I know Guys she continues to remind me that "I told you"

I'M DONE WITH BEDDING OF ANY SORT. LOOKING AT HOUND HEATERS OR SOMETHING EQUIVALENT.
Thanks for the advice elvis. Couple of guys here that are fighting eye infections. The only common denominator is they are both using straw they got from the same feed store.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:04 pm

i use straw in the dogbox and have not had any issues to speak of as far as health goes.
but i can surely see it being a mess if brought in the house.
i used cedar until i read the possibillities of health issues from long term use.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:18 pm

I used red cedar chips for the first time with my Setter. He has a pen around the front of an old building, and a doghouse inside of that. I had used straw for many years, and I will probably go back to straw. I believe it makes a warmer bed.
big steve