signs of infection??

anb

signs of infection??

Post by anb » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Hello all,
My little girl had cut her paw & pads really badly last Thurs. We took her to the vet for surgery and antibiotics (clavamox). The vet had said not to change the bandage unless necessary. The other day I noticed it had gotten wet, so I took the bandages off to change them. Somehow the bandage keeps getting wet - I'm not sure if it is from her foot sweating (she has a neoprene bootie for padding and to stop her from chewing at it). It looks like a brownish color when it soaks through the bandage, but it's hard to tell if thats just from dirt on the floor or what. Should these cuts even be oozing at all, or is this infected? It does have a bit of a funk to it, but it seems that any bandaged wound would. How can I tell if it is infected and she needs to go back before her suture removal date? Should I be taking ALL of the bandages off while she lies down to let air get at it? I have been keeping her off her feet as much as possible and using a plastic baggie over the bandaging and bootie when she goes out (only for pee/poo). She is taking 375mg of clavamox twice a day. Should this prevent infection?
Thanks, I'm never sure if I'm being overworried/paranoid or concerned with good reason!!!