Anal Glands

ckirsch

Anal Glands

Post by ckirsch » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:59 pm

I have a two-year-old pointer with chronic problems with impacted anal glands. I am wondering if there is a dietary component to this problem, as I give the dog a fish oil and flaxseed oil capsule each morning. Could that be "lubing" him up too much, to the point that the anal glands are not activated when the fecal matter passes by them? My vet recommends using shredded wheat cereal for treats, as that would increase the amount of fiber, but as much as I've heard about wheat being less than desirable in a dog's diet, I'm not sure if I want to introduce any. Currently feeding Diamond Extreme Athlete (4% fiber content), but this dog has had the same problems on three different foods. Any ideas out there?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Anal Glands

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:53 pm

Forget what you have heard about wheat since that would be one in a thousand that it would cause any trouble. The shreadded wheat is an excellent source of fiber which it sounds she may need. Why not drop the oil for a few weeks and see if it helps. You can always pick it back up.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:19 am

Cutting the oil is a good idea and I would ask the vet or a trained nutritionist the best way to get psyllium into the dog. Perhaps buying some whole buckwheat will help. Pysllium is very effective as a stool hardener and that is what you need.

There are some kibbles that use psyllium but Orijen is the only one that comes to mind.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:44 am

Are you sure the dog does not have a physical defect that is causing this? It happens and in some cases the anal glands are removed.

Also, found a few other fiber sources:

Good sources of fiber include: raw sesame seeds, ground flax seed, psyllium seed (Metamucil), buckwheat, whole oats, brown rice, and wheat bran. We recommend adding 1/2-teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of bran to the patient's diet, from cat to giant dog, daily. Be sure to hydrate the dry fiber thoroughly before incorporating it into their food, so it does not cause intestinal impaction or choke. Ordinary whole grain cereals, bran flakes and the like are fine, so long as the pet does not have a food intolerance (allergy) to wheat or other cereal grains.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:17 am

jlp8cornell wrote:Also, found a few other fiber sources:

Good sources of fiber include: raw sesame seeds, ground flax seed, psyllium seed (Metamucil), buckwheat, whole oats, brown rice, and wheat bran. We recommend adding 1/2-teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of bran to the patient's diet, from cat to giant dog, daily. Be sure to "hydrate the dry fiber thoroughly" before incorporating it into their food, so it does not cause intestinal impaction or choke.
Would wetting the dog food prior to adding the fiber be adequate?

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:57 am

I pulled those fiber sources off a website. I assume the amount of water you add would depend on the fiber source. For example, bran/metamucil/etc will expand while ground flax seeds won't change that much. Thinking of that..you can buy ground flax seeds for a fairly reasonable price and they would also add a very good source of fat to the dog's diet. Also, canned pumpkin adds fiber. Just don't buy the pie filling ;-)

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:13 am

jlp8cornell wrote:
I pulled those fiber sources off a website. I assume the amount of water you add would depend on the fiber source. For example, bran/metamucil/etc will expand while ground flax seeds won't change that much. Thinking of that..you can buy ground flax seeds for a fairly reasonable price and they would also add a very good source of fat to the dog's diet. Also, canned pumpkin adds fiber. Just don't buy the pie filling ;-)
The reason I asked is my vet recommends Metamucil as a fiber supplement but didn't say anything about hydrating before adding to the dog food. I'll double check just to make sure.....

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:42 am

I eat Quaker Oat Squares cereal dry as a snack.

My dog is crazy about them. He stands in front of my salivating and whimpering till I share. Don't know if it'll work for your pointer, but it sure won't be a problem to get them down a dog...

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:06 am

The reason I asked is my vet recommends Metamucil as a fiber supplement but didn't say anything about hydrating before adding to the dog food. I'll double check just to make sure.....

Coveyrise64
I asked a friend who is a DVM nutritionist- Yes--hydrate metamucil before feeding it.

gsp3333

Post by gsp3333 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:08 pm

Try changing the food. Had a problem with my Lab. on Canidae, at the vet multiple times in a 6 month period. Switched to Blue Buff. and have not had an issue in almost 2 years. Worth a try.

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:34 pm

Why not try a food, any quality food, and nothing else? Just to see what happens.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:I eat Quaker Oat Squares cereal dry as a snack.

My dog is crazy about them. He stands in front of my salivating and whimpering till I share....
Nice that he at least lets you take a bite or two first :D