EP allergies-tried everything-at wits end-HELP

Chaingang

Re: EP allergies-tried everything-at wits end-HELP

Post by Chaingang » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:22 pm

mercer5 wrote:The more I google from the posts left here the things point out to try Atopica. I have also read numersous articles on rodenticide toxicity and the long term affects and they all point to a compromised immune system resulting in hyper sensativity to allergies. I also came across 2 like articles from other owners who have experienced similar issue with itiching after rat poison ingestiion.
I dont think a dermatologist will be the best, I am going to try an internist first to get the facts about long term affects of rat poison in dogs. Since my dog got into it twice it it just that much more like cause of his condition now.
We will aslo be canvasing the neighbors to see if anyone has used rat posion (and why) this spring, unfortunatelly I have my suspicions about a dog hater right behind us....

I checked PetMeds for prices on Atopica and its generic and my vet is right there on costs, looking at month 1 about $170, does that sound right?
Jim
I still wouldn't rule out seeing a Dermatologists. But that's just me. :)

mercer5

Post by mercer5 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:46 am

Going to a Holisitc vet this week. Dog has been on thyroid meds now about 5 week swith little to no change. Hair is thin, stills scratches all over, rubs his head and face, sound slike he has a cold, snores, stinks but not all the time. He is still very very happy and energetic.

Next step would be a Internist or Dermatologist

We'll see
Jim

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:15 am

mercer5 wrote:Going to a Holisitc vet this week. Dog has been on thyroid meds now about 5 week swith little to no change. Hair is thin, stills scratches all over, rubs his head and face, sound slike he has a cold, snores, stinks but not all the time. He is still very very happy and energetic.

Next step would be a Internist or Dermatologist

We'll see
Jim
Good luck at the appt this week, at least you know hes on the thyroid meds that he needed otherwise hed be battling another whole issue so one thing at a time and because of the thyroid issue his immune system is taking a while to get back on track if ever it will, if he stinks you are definitley dealing with skin issues of another issue..my dog use to stink so bad before he was on cream for his hot spots from licking and biting and it being wet and sore yuck i dont miss that smell..again, good luck to you and your buddy and glad he is at least happy and energetic :D ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)