Purinas' Great Marketing

bossman

Purinas' Great Marketing

Post by bossman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:43 pm

Got to hand it to Purina. Received an email yesterday showing that Hickory, tne Scottish Deerhound that went Best in Show at Westminster, is a Pro Plan fed dog. They go on to say that 5 out of the last 5 Champion's were fed Pro Plan. I have nothing bad to say about Pro Plan and I do not believe that big dog food companies are "evil". Just saying this is a great piece of marketing imo......

big steve46

Re: Purinas' Great Marketing

Post by big steve46 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:47 pm

No doubt you can't argue with success. I feed Loyall, but I don't have a problem with PP and other good feeds. :)
big steve

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:10 pm

It's all in the power of marketing and this ad is pretty genius. Joe Smith, average dog owner will make the switch happily. PP and Beneful ( oh yeah,a Purina product too) are top grade ads. Wish I was the ad exec who was the braniac who came up with these ads....bet he's enjoying Tahiti on a regular basis :mrgreen:

SpinJen

Post by SpinJen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:40 pm

I can't stand the way the poop smells on Pro Plan. *pukes*

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:16 am

Kiki's Mom wrote:It's all in the power of marketing and this ad is pretty genius. Joe Smith, average dog owner will make the switch happily. PP and Beneful ( oh yeah,a Purina product too) are top grade ads. Wish I was the ad exec who was the braniac who came up with these ads....bet he's enjoying Tahiti on a regular basis :mrgreen:

And he should be. People should be compensated for their work and if they are good they should get a little more than the average. Kind of like dog trainers. They get compensated for what they do and the better they are the more they make.

Al
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:42 am

SpinJen wrote:I can't stand the way the poop smells on Pro Plan. *pukes*
I was unaware that some poop smells like roses.... :roll:

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:08 am

It's kind of like lilac here not rose's at all!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:45 pm

bossman wrote:Got to hand it to Purina. Received an email yesterday showing that Hickory, tne Scottish Deerhound that went Best in Show at Westminster, is a Pro Plan fed dog. They go on to say that 5 out of the last 5 Champion's were fed Pro Plan. I have nothing bad to say about Pro Plan and I do not believe that big dog food companies are "evil". Just saying this is a great piece of marketing imo......
I bet that Purina approaches each "contender" and gives them lots of free food so they can be assured of being "the choice of champions".
For free food and the accompanying $1000 check, I would probably feed my dog Pro Plan.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:36 am

A/C Guy wrote:
bossman wrote:Got to hand it to Purina. Received an email yesterday showing that Hickory, tne Scottish Deerhound that went Best in Show at Westminster, is a Pro Plan fed dog. They go on to say that 5 out of the last 5 Champion's were fed Pro Plan. I have nothing bad to say about Pro Plan and I do not believe that big dog food companies are "evil". Just saying this is a great piece of marketing imo......
I bet that Purina approaches each "contender" and gives them lots of free food so they can be assured of being "the choice of champions".
For free food and the accompanying $1000 check, I would probably feed my dog Pro Plan.

If you ever go to a dog show, you'll see the major food manufacturers there that cater to performance dogs. Pro Plan, Eukanuba, Bil-Jac, etc... And even though Westminster is sponsored by Pedigree, I can't remember ever seeing a Pedigree rep set up with a tent pushing product at a dog show. Pedigree really gets its bang for the buck with the Westminster show, but Pro Plan always comes away with the win.

The dog show circuits are traveling road shows. The top handlers and breeder owner handlers are constantly on the road. It's like a traveling circus. They move from place to place in conversion vans, motor homes, and travel trailers. They arrive each Thursday or Friday to set up, grab the best spots for parking and grooming and spend the weekend showing their dogs. On Sunday afternoon, they pack up and drive directly to the next show site, or if possible, go home for a quick few days before heading right back out again.

Buying food at the shows is a convenience. And there's always plenty of Pro Plan available to purchase. Those who purchase a lot of Pro Plan can get discounts or merchandise with the weight circles program. I'm sure the reps give a discount or possibly free food to the top handlers who have a lot of dogs. And, if you're at the shows on Sunday, the food is discounted to anyone buying it. I've seen Pro Plan that is sold for $40.99 at Petsmart, sold for $35.99 at the dog shows on Friday and Saturday, but on Sunday, the price will drop down to $33.99. And if you catch the rep as he or she is getting ready to load food back on the truck, you can probably get it even cheaper.

As you walk around the grooming areas, it seems like all of the handlers that are grooming their dogs are wearing Pro Plan aprons, they have Pro Plan chairs, and they have Pro Plan towels. Their Pro Club magazine is filled with pictures of the top dogs winning the top shows who are all fed Pro Plan. Pro Plan is a marketing machine.