Don't want to start it again but I need help on food please.

mobeasto123

Don't want to start it again but I need help on food please.

Post by mobeasto123 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi guys, First I've read all your debate on dog food and I already know that it is a controversial subject around here.

ÉJust to make it short my trainer recommended me a performance Food for my dog cause he is having hard time to keep and also gain some weight and is coat isn't that great too.. A good 30/20 should be fine.. But where I live in Canada, 5 hours from Quebec city, the only food available is crap like Hill's science diet, natural choice we have a bit of Royal Canin ( not all kind is available) and the famous dog food from Wal-mart .. So now I made some calls to Quebec city ( I go often there and some friends too) asking for eukanuba performance ( 69$+tax 40 lbs) Pro plan same thing, Royal canin energy 4800 (66$+ tax 40 lbs) and Loyall professional (50$+tax 40lbs) . My trainer told me that he was before on Euk.. but his dogs are do better on Loyall Now (just to specify he is not sponsorised).. But some of you are saying that Loyall is doing great of some of you are saying that I could be ginving mud to my dog that it would be better... Are there some of you ( not only those that are sponsorised) that are doing great with Loyall ??? Considering the price would it be better to go for Pro Plan or Euk... And just to specify my dog isn't the allergic kind he is eating everything and more...

Thank you very much

David
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Don't want to start it again but I need help on food please.

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:00 pm

I'd grab the Loyall and run. Its a good food and if it is cheaper than the rest use it. I have never heard anyone having problems with Loyall. Plus Big Steve feeds it to his Lew and if one of them can live on it anything can. :lol:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

JMc

Post by JMc » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Fed Loyall for years then went to Diamond and ... Pee...ew. Dogs stunk, going back to Loyall. Saw no difference in the dogs other than gas and smell from Diamond. Go Loyall.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:10 pm

The royal canin performance is some of the highest caloric foods out there, one of my dogs is on it now and does well, I have tried a lot of foods and I find my dogs have done best on the Nutro high performance, especially their coats. Both are a little pricey though, but I get them for free. I would probably look elsewhere if I had to pay but the dogs do well.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:36 pm

If you have a CostCo membership, you might want to buy Kirtland Chicken and Rice Super Premium.
I have been using it on my dogs for the past 6 years and have never been happier with a feed. It give them
plenty of energy for an all day hunt and their coats look great. It doesn't cost too much as well.
Here is the address
Costco
440 rue Bouvier
Qu¨¦bec, Quebec

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:44 pm

Go with Loyall. The dogs will use it efficiently, and a slightly less volume will work as well as feeding slightly more of other good feeds. That makes it cost efficient. I fed Diamond Premium for years, but Loyall is a half a step better. Again, Ezzy and I will both agree that most working dogs will do well on most good feeds.
big steve

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:52 pm

Thanks guys for your input now I'm a bit more confident... I'll give it a try a let you know in a few month about my dog If he is doing better...

Thank you again..

David
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:59 pm

big steve46 wrote:Go with Loyall. The dogs will use it efficiently, and a slightly less volume will work as well as feeding slightly more of other good feeds. That makes it cost efficient. I fed Diamond Premium for years, but Loyall is a half a step better. Again, Ezzy and I will both agree that most working dogs will do well on most good feeds.
You must be slowing down. No probiotics? Dog's a hard keeper, it may not matter what you pour into him. He might not be getting anything out of it.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:40 am

Loyall "high performance" is a good food and so is proplan "performance" ...if you want to put some weight on your dog dont stick to the guidelines on the bag for feeding..its just a guideline..feed a bit more!..do you feed once a day?..if so give an extra meal and see how the dog does..also not sure about loyall but i do know proplan ALWAYS has coupons avail..right now on their site you can print 5 bucks off large bags and 3 bucks off smaller bags and buy 1 can get 1 free with their can food..ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:50 am

Thanks Ruth, I already have tried to feed more.. But the only things that happens is just a bit more poop in my backyard, no great changes on the dog..
David & ''Hunter ''

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:37 am

Try adding some lard to the food until he puts some weight on, it works great. Also, make sure to keep him worm free. You have gotten good advise on the dog food.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:47 am

Winchey wrote:The royal canin performance is some of the highest caloric foods out there, one of my dogs is on it now and does well, I have tried a lot of foods and I find my dogs have done best on the Nutro high performance, especially their coats. Both are a little pricey though, but I get them for free. I would probably look elsewhere if I had to pay but the dogs do well.
I would like to know how RC can get 30% fat in a kibble without it bleeding or the dogs crapping their brains out. I have heard that food is awesome.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:20 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
big steve46 wrote:Go with Loyall. The dogs will use it efficiently, and a slightly less volume will work as well as feeding slightly more of other good feeds. That makes it cost efficient. I fed Diamond Premium for years, but Loyall is a half a step better. Again, Ezzy and I will both agree that most working dogs will do well on most good feeds.
You must be slowing down. No probiotics? Dog's a hard keeper, it may not matter what you pour into him. He might not be getting anything out of it.

Remember KISS. A very efficiently used feed like Loyall can be used for a month to see how the dog does before "chasing rabbits" with remedies. That's not to say that probiotics aren't often effective, but by making changes one at a time, we can better identify the need.
big steve

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:24 am

Steve, do you feed the lil'bites formula or regular size kibble?

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:09 am

mcbosco wrote:Steve, do you feed the lil'bites formula or regular size kibble?

Not sure. They are small. I'll check later.
big steve

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:12 am

mobeasto123 wrote:Thanks guys for your input now I'm a bit more confident... I'll give it a try a let you know in a few month about my dog If he is doing better...

Thank you again..

David
Good idea ..give it at least a month to see an improvement..and maybe some deworming wouldnt hurt either just to be sure, weight and coat issues can be due to worms...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:29 am

Give it a try - my dogs hated it and we had diarrhea for the entire time with 3 of our dogs on it. The others had loose stools - but not as bad as the 3. We switched back to National and our dogs are happier, less poop too. Hope it works for you.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:56 am

Our dogs did not do good on Loyall...bad poops, hair loss, and lost weight. However, each dog is different so give it a try and you can always change if you don't like it. A few companies will also ship food and we wait for free shipping deals and stock up. We feed Arkat's VF Turkey and rice and Native level 3 and like both.

Carla

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:05 pm

mcbosco wrote:Steve, do you feed the lil'bites formula or regular size kibble?

I guess it's regular, but not sure. The kibble is round but flattened. Diameter is about 1/3 of an inch.
big steve

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:08 pm

I freefeed my Llewellin, and being smarter than other breeds, he doesn't overeat. Some dogs do overeat if they like the feed, and will get looseness. :D
big steve

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:03 am

All of the foods mentioned so far are of foreign origin. Check out http://www.nutram.com if you want high quality feed and support a Canadian manufacturer.