Diamond Natural?

gripper39

Diamond Natural?

Post by gripper39 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:24 pm

I am in the process of changing from Nutro Natural to Diamond Natural anyone have an idea about the Diamond or heard anything about it?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Diamond Natural?

Post by mcbosco » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:37 pm

Lots of gas according to the many threads on the subject. LOL

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:38 pm

Can you also comment on Diamond Extreme Athlete I just started a dog on it.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Ive got 5 on Diamond Naturals EA. one from 7 weeks old (shes 8 months now).

They all look and are doing great on it, start off with a small ration and work up slowly to the final amount.

Mine eat on average about 2 1/2 cups a day. The puppy has done extremely well on it with no problems
with growth.

They WILL have gas if you overfeed EA. Mine do not have a gas problem tho when strictly held to a proper amount of feed. All of mine sleep in the house and in my bedroom, if there was a chronic gas problem they wouldn't be in my bedroom and I wouldn't put up with feeding Diamond as long as I have.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Maverick57

Post by Maverick57 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:03 pm

I can fix the gas issue, 1 -2 teaspoons of ground ginger in their food. And it really does work. I am not a fan of can dog food for the same reason Gas ! SO ginger is suppose to be good for upset tummy's so I thought why not and it works, and a real cheap fix.
Maverick 57

If you are not the lead Dog, The view never changes !

Good Girls Seldom Make History !

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:50 pm

Ginger also works for car sickness. I have made my own candied ginger and its yummy. Great for gas, great suggestion.

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:46 pm

i use diamond naturals chicken&rice.
dogs love it and it works well with my wallet.lol
same as native level 2.edited to add:no gas issues here

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Gas problems with any food is mormally just a sign you are over feeding, especially when switching to a food like that.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:43 pm

Just an FYI, The Costco Kirkland Chicken & Rice (maroon color bag) is the same as the Diamond Naturals Chicken/Rice formula for much less money about $10 for 40# bag differencde. I have used both and never noticed gas issues. Excellent food for the price.

redman25

Post by redman25 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:04 am

I've fed Naturals EA and had no problems at all. Good feed.

Maverick57

Post by Maverick57 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Hey Mcbosco,

would you share your Candied Ginger Recipe ? if you will pm it to me. Thanks
Maverick 57

If you are not the lead Dog, The view never changes !

Good Girls Seldom Make History !

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:04 pm

Ingredients
Nonstick spray
1 pound fresh ginger root
5 cups water
Approximately 1 pound granulated sugar
Directions
Spray a cooling rack with nonstick spray and set it in a half sheet pan lined with parchment.

Peel the ginger root and slice into 1/8-inch thick slices using a mandoline. Place into a 4-quart saucepan with the water and set over medium-high heat. Cover and cook for 35 minutes or until the ginger is tender.

Transfer the ginger to a colander to drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Weigh the ginger and measure out an equal amount of sugar. Return the ginger and 1/4 cup water to the pan and add the sugar. Set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar syrup looks dry, has almost evaporated and begins to recrystallize, approximately 20 minutes. Transfer the ginger immediately to the cooling rack and spread to separate the individual pieces. Once completely cool, store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Save the sugar that drops beneath the cooling rack and use to top ginger snaps, sprinkled over ice cream or to sweeten coffee

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:39 pm

I have also been feeding the diamond EA for quite some time, however it takes 5-6 cups a day to keep my 65 lb male up but I am sure he is much more active than most dogs.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:30 pm

Wow , that's alot of feed GB, I guide with mine for a 6 month preserve season and they don't eat near that much.

My male dog is somewhat of a hard keeper, he's 52lbs and will run 25 miles in a few hours and is on 3 -3.5 cups max....on exceed he ate 4-5 cups.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:50 am

Feed all of mine Diamond Extreme Athelete. They are active, run every day, trialed, hunted 46 days this season. They are very active. I have a 60 lb male who's built like a brick and he doesn't even eat 4 cups a day. My six year old eats 2 cups a day. My little pup is on it too. I noticed it went up in price a little bit, but... It's still very reasonable.

Ezzy, that's interesting information, thanks.

Ground Ginger, like the stuff you buy on the spicerack?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:51 am

Yes
V-John wrote:Feed all of mine Diamond Extreme Athelete. They are active, run every day, trialed, hunted 46 days this season. They are very active. I have a 60 lb male who's built like a brick and he doesn't even eat 4 cups a day. My six year old eats 2 cups a day. My little pup is on it too. I noticed it went up in price a little bit, but... It's still very reasonable.

Ezzy, that's interesting information, thanks.

Ground Ginger, like the stuff you buy on the spicerack?
Yes I would think. Ginger is really good for settling stomachs. We always have a finger in the fridge and I sometimes cut a slice off and chew it. Burns like heck though when its raw. Can't hurt to use it especially if your dog is gassy or queezy travelling. Real Ginger Beer or tea is not a bad option either.

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:47 am

MikeB wrote:Just an FYI, The Costco Kirkland Chicken & Rice (maroon color bag) is the same as the Diamond Naturals Chicken/Rice formula for much less money about $10 for 40# bag differencde. I have used both and never noticed gas issues. Excellent food for the price.
this is a good thing!I cant find it on costcos website but i have seen it in there everytime i go.just never bothered to check it out.
apparently they get it from diamond and put the kirkland name on it.good deal

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:00 am

What about the Diamond green bag, is there an alternative name?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:26 am

Diamond Premium

It's a good feed.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:50 pm

I am sure the Kirkland line of dog & cat foods are only sold in the stores not on line. In the stores they have about 5 idfferent formulas of dog food, for all ages of life. Since they are selling the the normal pet owner/kennel/training operator there is no high performance food like Diamond Naturals 20/24 Extreme Athlete formula.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:37 pm

MikeB wrote: Diamond Naturals 20/24 Extreme Athlete formula.
The EA is 32/25

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:47 pm

Thanks for setting the record straight. I was thinking of Diamond High Energy 24/20 and got the numbers backwards.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:57 pm

I know nothing about dog food, will someone tell me what those numbers mean.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:07 pm

32% Protein/25% Fat

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

desertcountrygsp

Post by desertcountrygsp » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:24 pm

Switched my pointers over to ea not too long ago. How do your dogs do in the off season with weight control? Dont want them to fatten up with the higher protein and fat count.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:29 pm

desertcountrygsp wrote:Switched my pointers over to ea not too long ago. How do your dogs do in the off season with weight control? Dont want them to fatten up with the higher protein and fat count.
My last EP ate it year round, he was a runner, free in the yard, no problems with putting on weight in the summer.

Never a gas problem either.

The pup is on Nutro Max puppy, and will most likely be going to the EA around a year.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:02 pm

I feed Diamond EA and had a major problem with gas at first, but like Ezzy said I think I was over feeding them. I was talking with some guys at a NSTRA trial last weekend and they told me that 5-6 years ago Diamond had a major problem with their food that actually killed some dogs. I haven't found out anymore about it but they said that is why its so cheap now. I didn't own a dog 5 years ago so I wouldn't know, I've fed my dogs Diamond EA for over a year now and it keeps them in great shape. Did anybody ever have problems with it a few years back or hear anything about it?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:16 pm

They had a problem with some aflatoxin that came in on some corn that they didn't catch till it got out. It was one plant only and a few dogs did die and and quite a few were sick. They found that their quality control procedures were not always being followed and it came back to bite them. It has happened to about every company going at some time but most get caught in house or before it does much damage. This one was caught after it was out so they had to recall all of the fee out of that facility and redid their procedures so that it wouldn't happen again.

Don't believe it has had a thing to do with their pricing structure as they were one of the cheapest manufacturers of a quality feed before and the prices didn't really change other than go up a little like all of the other feeds. Diamond is a major manufacturer that does a lot of custom work for other companies and manufacture feed for them under each companies label.
I fed the feed back when it happened and never changed. I know of nobody that had a problem here in our area but most of the feed we get comes from another plant.

Ezzy

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:39 am

So no problems since huh? I like EA and Pro Plan but EA is half the price and keeps my dogs in good shape.

desertcountrygsp

Post by desertcountrygsp » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:03 am

ElectricShorthairs wrote:So no problems since huh? I like EA and Pro Plan but EA is half the price and keeps my dogs in good shape.
+1. I dont like to fork out that kind of money for pro plan every two weeks.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:08 am

ElectricShorthairs wrote:So no problems since huh? I like EA and Pro Plan but EA is half the price and keeps my dogs in good shape.

There probably isn't a feed company in the world that hasn't had a few problems along the way. Most of them you never hear about but occasionally one gets out to the public and has to be recalled. Normally it leads to better quality control within the company.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:38 am

ezzy333 wrote:

There probably isn't a feed company in the world that hasn't had a few problems along the way. Most of them you never hear about but occasionally one gets out to the public and has to be recalled. Normally it leads to better quality control within the company.

Ezzy
How about the dead cats a year or so ago. Every company can have a glitch, but putting to much fat in a formula by mistake is a little different than what the inspectors found after the Diamond aflatoxin recall.

And then there are the dead cats.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:44 am

To which dead cats do you refer? Blue Buffalo?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:57 am

No Diamond had a recall of cat food in the last two years. The food had no thiamine in it.

http://www.aspca.org/Pressroom/press-re ... 01209.aspx

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:17 am

mcbosco wrote:No Diamond had a recall of cat food in the last two years. The food had no thiamine in it.

I'd like to see that in writing because we've not had a pull on any of their products. They may have been the co-packer for BB, which had a recall for that reason last year.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:24 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
mcbosco wrote:No Diamond had a recall of cat food in the last two years. The food had no thiamine in it.

I'd like to see that in writing because we've not had a pull on any of their products. They may have been the co-packer for BB, which had a recall for that reason last year.
You probably are not on the same mailing list.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:25 am

It happened in 2009. I was just responding to another post saying that one recall leads to tighter quality control. Clearly, post aflatoxin, quality control was still a little loose.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:40 am

mcbosco wrote:It happened in 2009. I was just responding to another post saying that one recall leads to tighter quality control. Clearly, post aflatoxin, quality control was still a little loose.
I keep a file on the recalls since the rice gluten episode. Wellness just ditched a bunch of canned cat food over niacin. The problem is relying on analysis vs. feeding trials, largely, because how well animals do on specific formulas is basically theoretical.

p.s.,
Thanks. I'll check the .govs later. I don't go to terrorist websites.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:01 pm

I bet since the recall on Diamond, they're one of the safest to buy, got to get the customers back.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:12 pm

ElectricShorthairs wrote:I bet since the recall on Diamond, they're one of the safest to buy, got to get the customers back.
The corn episode was an eye opener across the board. The entire Midwest crop for the precedinf year was under a precaution for aflotoxin contamination due to environmental conditions during the growing season and harvest. The requirements for checking rail shipments was where the ball was dropped.

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:45 pm

I didn't read the entire responses here but we changed from Nutro to the Diamond Naturals High Energy. LOVE IT! Great ingredients and our dogs do FANTASTIC on it. We have not noticed any gasiness. Hope you like it as much as we do!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:11 pm

I liked the Diamond naturals but my dos as well had a gas issue with it, I guarantee I was not overfeeding.
The Extreme Athlete is a very concentrated feed and very rich to start the dogs out on so a good mix with current food IMO is essential. I had one dog that could not eat one cup of it a day with out some serious stool issues, now mixing it was a different story all dogs did well on it at a 2:1 ratio, that being EA the 1 part ratio in the winter time.
Not sure what everyone else's prices are but here EA is .70/# while Purina Pro Plan Performance is 1.00/#, thats a far cry from half price for me.
Not knockin Diamond by any means I just prefer PPP for now, plus the PP club perks are nice for me.

JMO

INbeagles

Post by INbeagles » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:53 am

I am happy with Diamond Natural, and considering the price, I am thrilled with it. I keep the brood bitches on the Beef and Rice formula- my vet who is a repro specialist suggested that I should avoid chicken based foods due to hormones in the chicken, and I have better litter size and more predictable heat cycles since I did this. My Greater Swiss Mountain Dog is on the Extreme Athlete and is much easier to keep weight on him with it.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:17 pm

INbeagles wrote:I am happy with Diamond Natural, and considering the price, I am thrilled with it. I keep the brood bitches on the Beef and Rice formula- my vet who is a repro specialist suggested that I should avoid chicken based foods due to hormones in the chicken, and I have better litter size and more predictable heat cycles since I did this. My Greater Swiss Mountain Dog is on the Extreme Athlete and is much easier to keep weight on him with it.
There are no hormones in chickens. If you see, "hormone free chicken" it is an illegal label.