Have you switched brands because of taste?

Hondo

Have you switched brands because of taste?

Post by Hondo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:06 pm

I feed my 1 year old lab Loyall Active Adult. I have no complaints with the food. I just don't think that my dog likes the taste. I feed her 3 cups a day and she always leaves quite a bit food in the bowl. There are some days I don't think she even eats. She isn't losing weight but I don't think she likes the food.

Is this reason enough to switch foods or should I just feed it to her? I realize she will eat the food when she gets hungry enough, but should she be eating food that she likes better?

Have any other forum members had similar experiences?

-Hondo

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Have you switched brands because of taste?

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:30 pm

I find my dogs do not need as much loyall feed as they do other feeds if she is maintaining weigt and is active looking good be thankful you wont have to buy as much food
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:33 pm

I've never found a dog food I cared for the taste of, so, "No."

They are dogs. They eat dog food. I buy it, so they can either come up with their own money or eat what's put in front of them.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:23 pm

I have never switched brands because I thought the dog didn't like the taste, but I have noticed some differences in palatability. Pro Pac and Blue Seal Pork and Barley are two of most palatable brands out there. They both have a very strong porcini mushroom smell and my dog will more eagerly (for him) eat those. Foods with sweet potatoes also rank very high on the palatability scale.

My dog will often leave food in the bowl when its warm out, nothing to do with taste.

I have yet to hear of a Lab that leaves food, so maybe she isn't crazy about it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:00 pm

Recent test have confirmed the old theory that a dog has never died of starvation with feed in front of it. It also confirmed that some dogs will quit eating when they aren't hungry. And a dog that is in good shape isn't starving. Conclusion is look at your dog and if it is doing well you don't have a problem but if you can find a food it likes better and keeps eating when it isn't hungry you will have a problem.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:20 am

Over the years, I've fed a variety of foods and some different varieties of the same food. I found that when I fed Pro Plan, my dogs loved Pro Plan Puppy and Pro Plan Chicken and Rice. However, they were never enthusiastic about Pro Plan Performance. For whatever reason, they would never dive into a bowl of Performance, sometimes hesitating before eating. And more often than not, they wouldn't clean their bowls. With the Puppy and C&R versions they were always ready to eat and looking for more. Just something I noticed.

And of course, if you switch foods, your dogs will always seem to go crazy for the new over the old.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:12 am

I havent tasted it, but I have tried different foods and they always seem to like the PMI I use best. with the exception of any meat/rice comdination.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:24 am

I figure the way mine love poop, no food should ever be an issue when it comes to taste :mrgreen: ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:I figure the way mine love poop, no food should ever be an issue when it comes to taste :mrgreen: ....ruth
Hahahahaha :lol:

-Hondo

buckshot0074

Post by buckshot0074 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:29 pm

I have actually done 'taste test' with my dog. I get 2 small plastic bowls put an equal amount of food (different kinds) in each, and put them down call my dog in and see what one he eats first. Then do it again but switch the placement of the bowls. Each time he would smell each bowl before eating the food. I did this three time in about an hour an half, and my dog ate a different kind of food (first) each time, He did eventually eat both bowls of food all gone.

Duckdon

Post by Duckdon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:02 am

Ruth
You and I think alike
Duckdon

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:31 pm

I have yet to hear of a Lab that leaves food, so maybe she isn't crazy about it.
My Lab won't touch Royal Canin for Labradors. He sniffs it and walks away. I got some free bags and I even tried mixing it in with some other food. He would methodically pick through the food and leave the Royal Canin nuggets behind. This is a dog who snarfs everthing in sight. He literally attacks a bowl of food. :lol: