loosing hair after fight?

luke0927

loosing hair after fight?

Post by luke0927 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:39 pm

hopefully someone can help with this...I have a male GSP that got in a fight with one of my other dogs (they were in the same kennel and my female started in heat and they got at it before I separated them anyway)...he was cut pretty good and some puncture wounds on the legs and a good gash on his muzzle I cleaned him up an put antibiotic ointment on him and put him in the house till he was better...he is doing fine and up and running good. but starting on his neck and a spot on his head his hair is falling out...not shedding but will come out in a small clump....dog is very clean no fleas never had any skin issues...what could it be could it have been stress from all this or worse?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: loosing hair after fight?

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:50 pm

Could be from healed bites and nicks that you didn't really notice.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

edmick

Post by edmick » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:16 pm

Is there any redness, irritation or flakes on the pathches? could be unrelated to the fight.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:30 pm

No doesn't seem to be red after the hair falls out and seems to me in a lot of the places where he was bit but it fell out in a lot bigger patch...the hair on his legs and back are fine but the area's around the neck pull off easy. I can probably get a pic if you think would help.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Sometimes if there's an abscess, the hair on the skin over it will pluck out very easily. How long ago was the fight? Is the area where the hair is coming out soft and puffy?

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:50 pm

I don't know if it could be stress, but I worked with a man that went completely bald because of stress caused by the death of his young son. His hair grew back, I don't remember how long it took but it seems like it was quite awhile.

edmick

Post by edmick » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:39 pm

Let me just throw this out there, The most common reason for hair loss in a dog are fungal (ring worm), parasitic (mange, flea or tick), allergic (food or environmental) and of course trauma. thyroid disorder is also on the list but i doubt that would be relevant to your situation.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:05 pm

Personally I would suspect it is from previously unnoticed/minor bites marks from the fight just starting to drop off. Bruised skin etc. Dogs skin is pretty thin so even unrecognizable injuries with no outward symptoms can drop hair in patches such as you mentioned. Much more noticable on your shorthair then heavier coated breeds for sure! Just keep an eye out. If marks drop hair and stay the same size and then begin to heal over the next 3-4 weeks I would say no worries. If they get bigger and more problematic then it is more than bruised skin dropping hair. -Mark