Geriatrics

Dogbreath

Geriatrics

Post by Dogbreath » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:27 am

Any recommendations on feeding a 14 yr old retired trial dog?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Geriatrics

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:15 am

The old dog I lost last year did well on Diamond Senior 8+ until chewing got to be an issue, then we went to BilJac dry senior formula. Both held his weight and didn't bother his sporadic IBS. He lived to nearly fifteen and a half.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Dogbreath

Post by Dogbreath » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:27 am

I'm still feeding ProPac mini-chunks. Great food, but too many calories for her. I've cut her back to keep her weight under control, but she seems to be hungry all
the time. Thanks

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:38 am

You can keep her on the same food just when you cut back to what she needs for daily intake Add some canned green beans to her food this she will still get a full belly with out the added calories
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Dogbreath wrote:Any recommendations on feeding a 14 yr old retired trial dog?
Pro Pac is a great, under-the-radar food. Good ingredients, good value, good results.

There is a nice senior's formula:

http://www.propacpetfood.com/us/dogs/se ... d-rice.php

Looks well though out.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:01 pm

I would change your dog to the Pro Pac Senior diet or Low Fat Chicken & rice diet. See below. You could feed her more and keep her weight under control.
http://www.propacpetfood.com/us/dogs/se ... d-rice.php
http://www.propacpetfood.com/us/dogs/lo ... ormula.php

apachecadillac

Post by apachecadillac » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:01 pm

Canned green beans?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:32 pm

apachecadillac wrote:Canned green beans?

Yes if the dog only requires like 1/2 cup of the food the OP is feeding now and the dog is doing good and maintaining weight very well but still wants to eat more because that small portion isn't satisfying that full feeling The green beans will act as a filler so she will get that full feeling with out the extra calories.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:50 am

Yes if the dog only requires like 1/2 cup of the food the OP is feeding now and the dog is doing good and maintaining weight very well but still wants to eat more because that small portion isn't satisfying that full feeling The green beans will act as a filler so she will get that full feeling with out the extra calories.
any problems with the extra sodium in the can of green beans?

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:51 am

If you are going to feed beans, I would give them raw- they love them. Raw carrots always are a great treat as well. Some dogs even like celery- mine shred it to bits.

If you do give the canned beans on a regular basis, you could always wash them.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:03 am

Frozen green beans work well too. If you feed canned, then be sure to rinse them off good to get rid of some excess sodium. Our GSP loves green beans - she's a hog with food and always acts hungry - adding the green beans has helped a lot.