Dr Tim's Dog Foods

dr tim

Dr Tim's Dog Foods

Post by dr tim » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:27 pm

Just checking to see what people might think of the Dr Tim's lines of dog food. If you hvae time, check out www.drtims.com and tell me what you think as it pertains to the hunting dog. Thanks.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: Dr Tim's Dog Foods

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:29 pm

dr tim wrote:Just checking to see what people might think of the Dr Tim's lines of dog food. If you hvae time, check out http://www.drtims.com and tell me what you think as it pertains to the hunting dog. Thanks.
Looks ok to me especially the no corn, no soy..it looks like alot of educated people put thought into the making of the food.. you will definitely be hearing from ezzy about the corn and soy relating to allergies, just be forwarned :D ......ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:43 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
dr tim wrote:Just checking to see what people might think of the Dr Tim's lines of dog food. If you hvae time, check out http://www.drtims.com and tell me what you think as it pertains to the hunting dog. Thanks.
Looks ok to me especially the no corn, no soy..it looks like alot of educated people put thought into the making of the food.. you will definitely be hearing from ezzy about the corn and soy relating to allergies, just be forwarned :D ......ruth
Ruth why would you say that? Surely I don't have to keep repeating what the research has discovered in the past year or two. I just relayed it to the people who want to keep up to date with the facts and hadn't had the opportunity to read it. It is not an arguing point but just what the clinical research has shown. And we already discussed why some smaller companies who are searching for a niche to sell there feed continue to use it in their marketing. Kind of like the company selling their peanut butter on the premis it is so pure it seperates with the oil coming to the top in the jar, when at least most of us know all peanut butter seperated for years till someone thought to homoginize it. Or Ivory selling their soap as being so pure it floats when the difference is it's just lighter than water and most soaps are formulated to be heavier so the same amount could be packaged in a smalle package. Or how about the bottled water being better for you even though the bottles are filled from the same tap we drink from. Or maybe like some people still thinking spaying is Ok at 6 months of age when recent research has proven it causes mor problems than it prevents. So much new stuff going on it is sometimes hard to keep up and even harder if you have a closed mind. :(

Most people want to learn I think or am I wrong?

Ezzy

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:48 pm

Is this actually Dr. Tim Hunt on here? If so...thank you so much for dropping by this forum! This musher/dog doc has produced the most "under the radar" super protein/high fat performance food that nobody knows about! Check it out. Dr. Tim's food is not your average bear! And he is not your average vet. Thanks again if this really is Dr. Tim himself. Says a ton about your passion if so.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:53 pm

You are asking me why i would i say you would comment about the fact this food does not have corn or soy because of allergies?...is this ezzy?....and p.s spaying a dog at 6 months is perfectly fine dont believe the hype...ruth :D

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:32 pm

Dr. Tim makes a great food, but he must work on distribution. There is virtually no place to buy it here. He just won a big race in Minnesota I believe.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:43 pm

Yep, like I said. It's a great performance dry food nobody has even heard about! Too bad. Like a great rock band who has yet to break out of their own home town! Great stuff. Pre & Probiotics included and a unique/potent 35/25% mix. Also reminds me of the Solid Gold hippie performance formula "Barking at the Moon" that is a whopping 41%/20% mix and been around for a long time that is also very low key and a regional favorite. That stuff is high octane to say the least!

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:58 pm

You don't happen to work for them do you?

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:17 pm

nikegundog,

Nope. I don't work for any dog food company.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:34 pm

Looks like very good feed. If I fed it to my Setter, I would feed the All Age or the Active. Distribution is a problem I'm sure. Recognizing that it would be more expensive in Alaska, I would expect to pay less than .80 a pound for comparable feed in S. Illinois. The all Age is probably comparable to the Loyall Active Adult that I feed. Remember, you can't just go by what the label says to determine how good a feed it is. Stools, volume needed, coats, and performance are paramount.
big steve

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:35 am

big steve46 wrote:Looks like very good feed. If I fed it to my Setter, I would feed the All Age or the Active. Distribution is a problem I'm sure. Recognizing that it would be more expensive in Alaska, I would expect to pay less than .80 a pound for comparable feed in S. Illinois. The all Age is probably comparable to the Loyall Active Adult that I feed. Remember, you can't just go by what the label says to determine how good a feed it is. Stools, volume needed, coats, and performance are paramount.
Steve, I am going to guess the food goes for $1.25 lb, and it is not comparable to Loyall, not that Loyall is bad.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:56 am

Thanks for the nice comments. This is Dr Tim that makes the food and I like to hear what different working dog owners have to say about food. Food was built from the athletic dog perspective(sled dogs) and we are using the highest grade stuff I can find plus using a slow cook method to maximize digestability(95%). Yes, each ingredient was thought through carefully and it took me 6 plants to find the right one to make our foods. Dogs definitely show a change overall when on the food; small stools, less to feed, endurance, highly palatable, etc. As to distribution, we are working on it, have an online method but stores are the key. There is a free sample offer on our site but I am not trying to grab free advertising on this forum. Any nutrition question you might have, throw my way, or other vet stuff. I like doing that kind of thing.
Last edited by dr tim on Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:32 am

mcbosco wrote:
big steve46 wrote:Looks like very good feed. If I fed it to my Setter, I would feed the All Age or the Active. Distribution is a problem I'm sure. Recognizing that it would be more expensive in Alaska, I would expect to pay less than .80 a pound for comparable feed in S. Illinois. The all Age is probably comparable to the Loyall Active Adult that I feed. Remember, you can't just go by what the label says to determine how good a feed it is. Stools, volume needed, coats, and performance are paramount.
Steve, I am going to guess the food goes for $1.25 lb, and it is not comparable to Loyall, not that Loyall is bad.

Again, go by the results criteria to determine how good the feed is. For most working bird dogs, you don't gain much by going to a supposedly superior feed, but you can lose by using a low-end feed. Paying 50% more for a possibly better feed is usually unnecessary.
big steve

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:52 am

What is porcine plama used for in the formula. Did a double take on that.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:What is porcine plama used for in the formula. Did a double take on that.
I don't know but it sounds kinda cool, very macabre :twisted:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:12 pm

mcbosco wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:What is porcine plama used for in the formula. Did a double take on that.
I don't know but it sounds kinda cool, very macabre :twisted:
Very Stephen King.

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:49 pm

That's pig blood :)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:13 pm

C.painter wrote:

Well its the liquid and some residual components. The red blood cells have been removed. Plasma is a yellowish color.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:50 pm

C.painter wrote:
Yeppers. I want to know what it is supposed to do.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:45 pm

Food grade plasma powder is a high quality protein source made of quarantined fresh blood of healthy animals...in this case piggies! Yep, that ingredient does jump out at you for sure! Vampire gun dogs! I like it!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:03 pm

northUpland wrote:Food grade plasma powder is a high quality protein source made of quarantined fresh blood of healthy animals...in this case piggies! Yep, that ingredient does jump out at you for sure! Vampire gun dogs! I like it!
I was thinking more like wino swine selling at the donate for pay blood bank.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:15 pm

With all the issues that one can run into with Pork which some is worse then any other Meat source out there...I stay away from feeds with Pork in it. I realize handling has a lot to do with anything..But I am just not comfortable with pork.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:50 pm

kninebirddog wrote:With all the issues that one can run into with Pork which some is worse then any other Meat source out there...I stay away from feeds with Pork in it. I realize handling has a lot to do with anything..But I am just not comfortable with pork.
This sounds pretty irrational. You probably shouldn't be comfortable with any animal product then.

If you were from the Northeast you would know one of the most popular dog foods in the area is Blue Seal Pork & Barley. I remember getting it at the farm I worked at when I was in high school. My local guy sells 200 tons a month, just one store.

I have never heard one bad thing about pork meal in dog food except it rubs some consumers the wrong way, so just perception.

What problems are you referring to?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:07 pm

No I just don't care for Pork and elect Not to feed it to my dogs Pig meat shows up with more issues then other meats and because of that I rarely eat it myself and when I do I prefer to eat the pigs I shoot over in Texas not the stuff in the stores.
Just like some people feel the need to feed grain free food to dogs when dogs on their own accord will eat grains and grasses.

My dogs, My Choice.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Wild hogs carry pseudorabies. I don't want anything to do with them. I wish they could be wiped out.

Any dog food that has undefined meat or meat meal in it usually contains a good percentage of pork,

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Wild and Domestic on the psuedorabies
Pseudorabies
Another important disease harbored by wild pigs is pseudorabies. Despite its name, this disease, caused by a herpesvirus, is not related to rabies and does not affect people. However, pseudorabies is of great economic importance to the domestic swine industry. It weakens pigs, leaving them susceptible to other problems, and causes abortions and stillbirths.

Adult swine can be silent carriers of pseudorabies and will periodically shed the virus through the nose and mouth. Once infected, the pig is a lifetime carrier, and there is no effective treatment. Pseudorabies can be detected by blood testing, and evidence of pseudorabies infection in wild pigs has been found in at least 11 States.

Pseudorabies is a fatal disease in other farm animals, such as cattle, sheep, and goats, and in dogs and cats. Wild mammals, such as raccoons, skunks, foxes, opossums, and small rodents, also can be fatally infected. The virus attacks the nervous system in these animals and can produce intense itching followed by paralysis and death. Although people are not directly at risk, hunters need to know that their dogs could become fatally infected through exposure to wild pigs with pseudorabies.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Pseudorabies has not been that common with wild hogs where I hunt, it wont keep me from hunting them and eating them... or using dogs to catch them!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:02 pm

ACooper wrote:Pseudorabies has not been that common with wild hogs where I hunt, it wont keep me from hunting them and eating them... or using dogs to catch them!

I know quite a few of the dogs on Hog people and never heard of Psuedorabies in any of the areas we have been.
and those pigs are FAR BETTER tasting then anything you can get at the stores :mrgreen:

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:48 pm

Guys, maybe I am wrong here but I am somewhat certain bioengineered porcine plasma is a bit of a stretch to compare straight up to wild hog/pork meat in general. Maybe Dr. Tim can elaborate further on his own food ingredients...and oh yeah, thanks for again for dropping in! That's pretty cool of you!

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:46 am

The porcine plasma is only in the Momentum Dog Food and the Chase cat food. We use it to bring some specific amino acids into the formulation and it is of very high quality. It is pricey stuff due to its refinement and the fact the pigs were isolated from others. In the high end level of exercisse, this type of addition is like rocket fuel for muscle maintenance and rebuilding. I think Barry Bonds took this stuff. Good questions you have raised. I don't care for blood meal in foods as it is much more ill defined or an undefined meat meal like someone mentioned.

A well produced, well thought out food is a great aid for a performance dog but the key is to use high end quality ingredients. There are many types of chicken meal, for instance, but fewer higher grade ones that folks(companies) use due to cost. Use the better grades of protein meals and the dog need much less food because it is more bioavalable(they can actually digest the stuff). You can price things like a Cadillac but if it doesn't drive like a Caddy, it ain't no Caddy. Depends how nice you like your ride to work, so to speak, and how well the engine runs and how long the gas tank stays full.

I was just at a very large Pet Expo in Florida and was just amazed at what the large companies promote in their foods, about their foods. I try to make a food that will actually perform in the field, not just a hahve good catch phrase. Those companies raise my hackles like a dog does when circling a bear.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:38 pm

Looks like a great product to me. I am feeding a 32% 25% now. What does it cost?
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:44 pm

$55-60 for 50lbs

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:20 pm

dr tim wrote:The porcine plasma is only in the Momentum Dog Food and the Chase cat food. We use it to bring some specific amino acids into the formulation and it is of very high quality. It is pricey stuff due to its refinement and the fact the pigs were isolated from others. In the high end level of exercisse, this type of addition is like rocket fuel for muscle maintenance and rebuilding. I think Barry Bonds took this stuff. Good questions you have raised. I don't care for blood meal in foods as it is much more ill defined or an undefined meat meal like someone mentioned.

A well produced, well thought out food is a great aid for a performance dog but the key is to use high end quality ingredients. There are many types of chicken meal, for instance, but fewer higher grade ones that folks(companies) use due to cost. Use the better grades of protein meals and the dog need much less food because it is more bioavalable(they can actually digest the stuff). You can price things like a Cadillac but if it doesn't drive like a Caddy, it ain't no Caddy. Depends how nice you like your ride to work, so to speak, and how well the engine runs and how long the gas tank stays full.

I was just at a very large Pet Expo in Florida and was just amazed at what the large companies promote in their foods, about their foods. I try to make a food that will actually perform in the field, not just a hahve good catch phrase. Those companies raise my hackles like a dog does when circling a bear.

Those companies are in business today because there food provides the nutrients that a dog needs. And they are large because a large percentage of people like what it does for their dog. One of the ways they judge it is to see how those dogs perform in many different venues. And as is evident they do quite well. I hope you can do as well also but I would advise it be done by improving performance rather than someone trying to down grade the competion. Manufacture your feed and we can judge how well you are doing and if you can provide more on a cost basis then I am sure you will prosper too. Those big companies can give you a good path to follow to success.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:34 pm

dr tim wrote:The porcine plasma is only in the Momentum Dog Food and the Chase cat food. We use it to bring some specific amino acids into the formulation and it is of very high quality. It is pricey stuff due to its refinement and the fact the pigs were isolated from others. In the high end level of exercisse, this type of addition is like rocket fuel for muscle maintenance and rebuilding. I think Barry Bonds took this stuff. Good questions you have raised. I don't care for blood meal in foods as it is much more ill defined or an undefined meat meal like someone mentioned.

I was going to guess muscle bulking because it's used to prevent weaning atrophy in shoats. Thanks. The food looks interesting. I have a young trial prospect that is doing very well on fairly low end food, high in carbs. We couldn't hold his weight on high meat content. Go figure. He's like mummy, he likes his snacky cakes, aka carbs.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:02 pm

ezzy333 wrote:

Those companies are in business today because there food provides the nutrients that a dog needs. And they are large because a large percentage of people like what it does for their dog. One of the ways they judge it is to see how those dogs perform in many different venues. And as is evident they do quite well. I hope you can do as well also but I would advise it be done by improving performance rather than someone trying to down grade the competion. Manufacture your feed and we can judge how well you are doing and if you can provide more on a cost basis then I am sure you will prosper too. Those big companies can give you a good path to follow to success.

Ezzy

Ezzy, this guy just didn't fall off the back of a truck. You should do some research on him. Would you be so condescending to Robert Downey if he stopped by the forum?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:11 pm

mcbosco wrote:Ezzy, this guy just didn't fall off the back of a truck. You should do some research on him. Would you be so condescending to Robert Downey if he stopped by the forum?
Who is Robert Downey and what kind of dog food does he sell?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Yep

When you start running the competition down instead of promoting your own product you have opened yourself up to the same type of criticism you are dealing out. You have to remember he is the one trying to be one of the companies he is downgrading. In my experience that is not the wisest choice to make on a public board. Fits well in your company's board room but not here. At least that is what I was taught and it did seem to work quite well.

By the way, who is Robert Downey? He was an actor, wasn't he?

Ezzy

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:34 am

My apologies as I wasn't trying to run any competition down as that isn't my way of doing business. What I was trying to say is that some companies pointed out attributes that are not necessarily true and it was a learning experiance for me. I will back off my guard hair raised analogy and stay on the high road.

Rob Downey makes Annamaet, a very good line of dog foods. We both produce our foods at the same plant in Ohio. There are many good lines of dog food out there that have had good results. I just think there is a better way to do some of it.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:26 am

When you start running the competition down instead of promoting your own product you have opened yourself up to the same type of criticism you are dealing out.
must have missed that part.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:53 am

What interests me is the fact that, from what I can tell, you basically started with a musher food. There are several other foods out there targeted for mushers. Research supports the idea that mushing dogs actually have different muscle tissue that other dogs. I don't know if it is developed or if it is inherent. Is this a factor in your fomulas? Do you have research on other high muscle usage dogs, like hour+ trial dogs or top tier agility dogs?

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:53 am

mcbosco wrote:

Dr. Tim makes a great food, but he must work on distribution. There is virtually no place to buy it here. He just won a big race in Minnesota I believe.
This is the 2nd forum I've seen Dr Tim join basically so he can flog his food. Haven't heard anything of him before now...

Hmmm... :!:
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:02 pm

This is the 2nd forum I've seen Dr Tim join basically so he can flog his food. Haven't heard anything of him before now...
well, how can he sell his food if people don't know it exist. it's called marketing

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:05 pm

SubMariner wrote:
mcbosco wrote:

Not sure i understand your point submariner, isnt the point of getting people interested in your product to advertise it where people would use it?..i see alot of people that have pups listed on here under "dogs for sale" that never have posted on this forum otherwise, why, because they want to sell their pups to hunting folks..if i ever have had to sell a boat or blind or hunting supplies or started my own line of hunting equipment or clothes i would hit every forum out there to get people interested..i have looked up this food and dr.tim and they both deserve the opportunity to be on here..jmo....ruth

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:09 pm

SubMariner wrote:
mcbosco wrote:

How about those who only post when they have yet another litter to peddle or "started" dog to unload at an internet inflated price?

The fact that you keep track of others' internet participation speaks volumes.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:34 pm

SubMariner wrote:
mcbosco wrote:

Sub, Dr. Tim (Hunt) is the real deal and so is his food. I know a few people using it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:37 pm

SubMariner wrote:
mcbosco wrote:

You bring up a very good point. We pride ourselves as a place dedicated to the new gundog owner and not a commercial advertising site. This point has been under discussion here in the backroom and the outcome is still undecided. Part of the problem is do we let commercial enities compete with our members as far as advertising and then on the other hand It is a subject that some of the new owners have as potential new customers. Another down side is that what you read in any form of advertising is seldom impartial truth but instead the points that have been decided would sell their product. I think you can see that in Dr. Tim's post. With his very first post he did not come on and introduce him self but just asked our opinion of his dog food. That wasn't what you call straightforword as far as really being one of our members but a backhanded method of geting opinions and then using them to pattern your responses. It sure seems anyone really wanting to help people would be able to be standup and ask what we all need or what he has to offer and be able to show the results through the feed test that prove it is a better product.

We have asked others to provide a link to our site if they are going to use ours to advertise. And we do want to provide as much good info to the new owners as possible. It is always a challenge to decide who is really interested in doing that and not just using us as a place to promote themselves and their products. Lets just say the jury is still out.

Ezzy

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:48 pm

I'm sure anyone who is interested in the food can FIOF, like everything else. Opt-in is infinitely superior to wading through the peanut gallery on discussion forums. Even the owners of this very forum use that technique.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:54 pm

It is always a challenge to decide who is really interested in doing that and not just using us as a place to promote themselves and their products.
i thought he did a good job of that right here.
There is a free sample offer on our site but I am not trying to grab free advertising on this forum. Any nutrition question you might have, throw my way, or other vet stuff. I like doing that kind of thing.
while i generally don't like people that join forums to peddle thier wares, this doesn't seem like the case.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:25 pm

Well, this is a very civil chat site and I appreciate that. Some are very aggresive and down right angry, like the other one mentioned. Thanks.

Honestly, any time I post on a sled dog site or nutrition site I run the potential of marketing my food by just being there. If that is the case, please remove the thread and I understand.

We can sure move onto other nutrition questions or vet stuff and I can contribute there. Maybe it wasn't right of me to ask what the group thought of the food in general.

As to the question on the differences in muscle between a sled dog and an agility dog, it is very slight. Sled dogs have slightly less type 2 twitch (fast twitch type) muscle fibers than a greyhound does. I would venture a guess that a houndy type dog(upland) is closer to a greyhound than a true husky. Type 1 fast twitch rely more on fat as energy, type 2 rely more on glycogen for energy. The greatest difference is efficiency; the glycogen based musles can only run full throttle for a short time and the others can go for a long time at a lower speed.

With that being said, it means that the houndy dogs have a bit higher requirement for carbohydrates in their diet and should have glycogen replenishment after exercise to bring those glycogen stores back up. Dogs need only about 10% of their calories coming from carbs as a rule. Houndy dogs rely more on glycogen than a husky does genetically but this can be adapted over to a large degree by using a high fat diet. In an endurance race the huskies will comply go off of using glycogen after about 2 days. I bet hounds could be trained and fed the very same way. I have seen it in stage racing where the hounds compete.

But really, if you think the thread is covert advertising, drop it. Start up another nutrition thing and I would be happy to lend some thoughts. Maybe I should have done that in the first place.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:15 pm

I for one think you could be of great "service" to all the members here and am glad you joined. What you have to realize is that some of the people here work or have worked for other dog food companies and get all twisted when it comes to dog food discussions. I visit SDC every once and a while, do you post there? Before you decide to leave or get forced out let us know where we can find you.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com