Dr Tim's Dog Foods

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Dr Tim's Dog Foods

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:01 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I was comparing it to a comparable product which would be Diamond EA not HE. Sorry if that wasn't clear but you can't compare foods based just on price without considering the energy level of the food. Heck I could feed Ol Roy if i didnt believe that higher energy foods didn't provide more energy.
True, that's why I fed it for over 60 days without any noticeable difference. But then I also know from tests we have run that you don't see much difference in a dog because of what food he is eating unless you really tax the animal in some way. Regardless of what most think about how hard they work their dog we seldom if ever tax the dog enough to know. When you compare our dogs being exercised for 3 or 4 hours in a moderate environment compared to a sled dog actually pulling for 7 or 8 hours in severe cold and you begin to see the difference.

I know of several dogs that have been successful in trials and the show ring that lived on Old Roy. Not nearly as poor of a feed as everyone tries to make it out to be. It is still quite close to or maybe better than what we used to feed all of our better dogs back before your time.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:06 pm

Munster wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:
Munster wrote:Nice looking food. But at $70.. for 44 pounds X 3 dogs, I would be out a home and husband. :-(
The formula like Pro Plan Performance, Dr. Tim's Pursuit, 30/20, is about the same price when you factor in there is no sales tax.
No, not really. out the door I pay maybe 47.00.
Munster,

PPP is about $47 a bag plus tax in most places, not even counting gas to go get it. So $52ish for 37.5lbs, so $1.38lb.

Dr Tim's Pursuit , 30/20 is $60.99 for 44lbs from Petflow, no tax and free shipping, so $1.39lb, and no time or gas to buy it.

In your case @ $47 including tax your at $1.25lb, which is just a bit less.

You were comparing Dr. Tim's Momentum to PPP, which is not a fair comparison. However, even in that case Dr. Tim's 35/25 is only $.20lb more than PPP.

So when you compare apples to apples, PPP to Dr. Tim's Pursuit, they are the same price in most markets.

If you can buy 25 - 50 bags, Dr. Tim's is substantially less money than PPP. I think he will ship pallets for about $1lb including freight, which is even less than Loyall.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:54 pm

EZZY, just to be clear I currently feed 2 different Diamond foods and I'm happy with both. My male Vizsla gets EA and my GSP gets the lamb and rice. My male V is big and when I feed him the lamb and rice I have to feed nearly twice as much to keep his current condition. He has been a difficult dog to condition and he seems to do better on the higher energy foods and wether it's a coincidence or not, he didn't get his first major win until after switching. So call me superstitious or ignorant even but I will continue to pay a little more for his food. The GSP on the other hand can thrive on horse poop air and water so I agree that he doesn't seem to need a higher energy food. I have inquired from several companies inquiring about pallet pricing but have heard back from only Dr. Tims (the same day) so I'm going to try a couple bags. It's a 40 mile round trip for me to continue with Diamond so either way buying in bulk makes the most sense anyway.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:07 pm

Brazo, I have not critized or even suggested what, how,or when you feed. My post was in response to you telling me what I had posted was wrong and you were right. Thank you for pointing out when I said the Diamond HE was 3 times cheaper I was wrong, it really is 3 1/3 times cheaper and I got the same results with the same amount of feed. I like you, wouldn't choose to feed Old Roy because I think there are better feeds but I have never been in a position to down grade it simply because I know of dogs that are fed it and you can't tell who they are by watching them perform. Plus I was around when we fed corn bread and table scraps along with sour milk to the dogs while they got their own corn from the crib and they looked and performed well on it.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:58 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Brazo, I have not critized or even suggested what, how,or when you feed. My post was in response to you telling me what I had posted was wrong and you were right. Thank you for pointing out when I said the Diamond HE was 3 times cheaper I was wrong, it really is 3 1/3 times cheaper and I got the same results with the same amount of feed. I like you, wouldn't choose to feed Old Roy because I think there are better feeds but I have never been in a position to down grade it simply because I know of dogs that are fed it and you can't tell who they are by watching them perform. Plus I was around when we fed corn bread and table scraps along with sour milk to the dogs while they got their own corn from the crib and they looked and performed well on it.

Ezzy
You make a good point that overbuying brings little benefit, but you be surprised what Diamond Premium and Pro Plan cost in the Northeast. You would think Dr. Tim's 30/20 on Petflow was a good deal I bet. I saw a dry food the other day that was $5lb.

There is no Black Gold, SportMix, Tuffy Gold, Hi Standard or The Pride, and Diamond and Loyall cost about $1lb after you figure the drive to get it.

I wish some of those were available but some stores wont even allow foods with corn in.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:13 pm

Why can't all dog manufacturers just sell feed in 50 pound bags. Why does it need to be 44 or 37? I do not like that marketing plan trying to make is seem like prices have not gone up.

DR. Tim:
Do you have any customers here in Maine?
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Rick, email Wendy@drtims.com Amd see if she can help you. Super nice lady.'or you can try him at drtim@drtims.com.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:19 pm

Perhaps you dont really appreciate high energy feeds until you need them. Those who dont need them, quit griping about foods you dont feed. Those that do, you know who you are because you DO see a significant difference in your dog and the amount you feed and how well the dog digests what they eat.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:11 pm

It is about what fits well in the stock bags that are available at the plant as to why we chose 44 lbs. Nothing sneaky about the marketing as we did 50 lbs per bag for years but they were paper. These are plastic and hold up way better to weather, transport and you can use em to put the end all back into them.

Ruffshooter, we have shipped to Maine on occasion directly but not any stores. Feel free to PM or email directly. I am willing to trade lobsters for dog food.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:54 am

Dr. Tim: Did not mean to imply that about what you have done. I know we make changes that better fit our customers and our production as we grow our business. (Going through the same thing with my BBQ sauce packaging.) I more thinking in general large producer of foods I used to get. Or maybe it is just my perception. Seems like at first the quantities got smaller and the price only had a marginal increase that was not to noticeable as a price compared to old price not price per pound.

You know like coffee. Try buying a pound of pre-ground/packaged coffee. I have not seen an actual pound of coffee in quite some time. they are 10 oz. 12 oz. etc. Sorry for the rant.

Thanks for the heads up and info.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:12 am

No offense taken. I agree with you as to the odd sizing yet same pricing for all items nowadays-mayonnaise, peanut butter, food, etc. Still a gallon of gas for whatever price they dream up. It is odd how that gallon can cost nearly exactly the same across huge areas of the country and no one ever cries collusion. I guess we have just accepted it.

buckeyebowman

Post by buckeyebowman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:45 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I am not sure what you were saying but we found that the long type muscle use the fat and the twitch type that are used for quick movements need the carbs. For our hard charging type hunting dogs it is imperative to keep the carb levels quite high to allow for the quick turns and stops associated with finding a bird while running at full speed and having to turn and or stop quickly. And it is almost impossible to keep the weight on the dogs without a high quality carb and corn was the one that performed the best. And it is why practically all of our trial dogs are fed a feed with corn although there are other sources.

I am glad you did notice the civil manner you were treated with here on our forum as that is something we insist on. We still have a few that need some reminders but we are a great place for the newcomers that want to learn to get the information they need to compete,whether in a trial or just in the fields finding birds. But the trialers are the ones that have shown a real need for the higher carb type feeds and to be able to buy it at a reasonable price.

I also have always put the amount of waste the dog produces rather low on list of things we need to worry about. I know some of the owners are concerned when they have to clean the yard. But I always felt the health of the dog was much more important than the amount of waste. I was happy to see that after you made the statement about keeping waste to the minimum you then listed 4 or 5 fiber sources you use to increase the amount and keep the dogs complete digestive system healthy. On another thread going now some are suggesting feeding green beans to bulk up the feed they are using. It has always seemed odd that so many want to keep increasing the digestibility of the feed but then feeding supplements to do just the opposite. Anyway I still want to put the health of our dogs ahead of all the vast array of what people think a good food is without looking at the condition of their dogs to determine whats good.

Ezzy

PS Oh by the way I am one of those awful people on here that made there living over the past 60 years in the feed industry that a few of our members get upset with if I question or challenge them about the ideas they have about dog food. But thankfully it only a very few and getting fewer..
That's a true point. I've known a few people who would prefer if their dogs produced little rabbit pellets. My feeling is if you don't want to deal with the poop, don't have an animal! And, yes, dogs need protein, fat, carbs, pre and pro-biotics and all the rest, but they also need to move their bowels, and they also need something in their bellies! Especially during a long cold winter. There's only so far that you can push the "you can feed less of a quality food and produce less stools" idea. Push it too far and you have an undernourished dog.

My buddy has 6 GSP's (4 active, 2 retired) and 2 older Labs (both retired). Feeding all these dogs, food cost is, naturally, a concern for him. He has tried a number of different, widely available, foods over the years. I help out with the feeding, care, and training of these dogs. The only times we really get concerned is when the dogs just refuse to eat the food, the dog's stools get loose, or, the dogs start dropping weight and losing condition. All these assessments need to be made on an individual basis. I've noticed a pattern over time. With all the dogs being fed the same food Annie (retired female GSP) and the 2 retired Labs always eat all their food. Hans (retired male GSP), Luger and Abigail (working male and female GSP's respectively), usually eat most of their food, but there's always a little left in the bowl when I go to feed. The 2 youngest GSP females, Olga and Yancey, seems to pick at their food. Yet, all the working GSP's have energy galore and are maintaining their weight, with good, solid stools. Their coats are healthy, no dry patches or scratching, and indeed the 2 retired GSP's are getting a little hefty, as is Luger, but hunting season has been out for a while.

Now, to pick a small nit. As far as "Dr. Tim" making some sort of "stealth" move on the forum, I just don't see it. Here was a poster with the forum name "Dr. Tim" asking for opinions from forum members who have used it opinions on "Dr. Tim's" dog food. I'm sorry, but did no one else make the connection?

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:13 am

Well Dr. Tim's fed dogs won the Iditarod again this year, Mitch Seavey, the father of last's years winner. Also had 3 other teams place in the Top Ten.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 am

MonsterDad wrote:Well Dr. Tim's fed dogs won the Iditarod again this year, Mitch Seavey, the father of last's years winner. Also had 3 other teams place in the Top Ten.
Congratulations to the dogs, and the training program of the kennel. I wouldn't necessarily contribute it to the feed though as other companies such as Red Paw and Eagle Pak have had very notable successes too. With relation to the content of this thread, the success of a team or dog is not ascertained with only the food they eat. And yes I know you are aware of this so you do not have to comment back. But it does remind me of what I perceive with purina having that one page advertisement on the back of pointing dog journal magazines displaying how many dogs ate their food and won something: uh....yeah ok!?!

Maybe someone should make a list of all of the dogs we know of that won something and what they ate during that time. That would be an interesting thread? And to spice it up, answer why they ended up switching to a different feed. I know a bunch of the guys that have hunted and trialed for a long time used some of the same brands and then went onto something else, which who knows might be the same brands too.

On a more serious note, I would find it highly interesting if Dr. Tim could elaborate on what was predominantly used for main ingredients within the sled dog food industry, and then explain what was modified over time to enhance the dog's performance? And then maybe Ezzy, or someone else who worked within the dog food industry, could answer the same question highlighting the perceived diet of a bird dog. I wonder if there are differences or similarities that could develop from something like this?

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:11 pm

Monsterdad, nice call out! Congrat's to Mitch Seavey for his Iditarod win! And to Dallas Seavey, Aaaron Burmeister, Sonny Lindner, and Ramey Smith who are all part of Dr. Tim's Team Momentum who finished in the Top 20 of the 2013 race. Makes you think a bit...The Winner includes 6 out of top 20 finishes of the most grueling canine endurance race in the world...I'll do the math. Yep. That's saying something. And to know Dr. Tim is a veteran Iditarod Race Vet, Musher, Kennel Owner, and is the actual dude cooking the stew behind his own brand...I'm pretty confident nutrition plays a part of the overall success.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:39 am

Lots of interesting things happened this year which resulted in the results. I will say this, I am no Iditarod expert but from what I have learned just through watching is logistical considerations and timing the dogs efforts can be a critical component in winning the race. This year's race was the fourth closest race in Iditarod history with Aliy Zirkle (Eagle Pak) taking the second spot the second year in a row. Martin Bruser (Eagle Pak) still holds the Iditarod record for fastest overall time from his 2002 win and this year he ran his dogs from the start to the Rohn checkpoint with very miniscule breaks with regards to race standards. From my recollection, no one has ever done this. After that huge effort, he still managed to finish 17th with eleven dogs. Jeff King (Red Paw) and Lance Mackey (Red Paw) have won the Iditarod a combined eight times. Lance won it four times in a row, which I do not believe anyone has done yet. Knowing when to push the dogs, and for how long, seems to create good or bad outcomes. But honestly, determining what is a good or bad outcome is subjective if you truly consider what goals the musher is trying to accomplish. It may be a win, or trying to repeat wins, or trying to test his team on how fast you go over the other competitors.

Mark, if you read my post carefully it doesn't mention nutrition being paramount but rather it is but ONE contributing factor in success, no matter how you measure it. Dr. Tim's dog food is a competitive dog food with the other brands, but I wouldn't call it superior to anyone else. In fact I wouldn't really call any one dog food superior over another unless I have non biased and independent research supporting the claim. I am going to politely call your post out as a means of trying to stir a superiority complex, or a gorilla campaign to promote a product, when there is absolutely no need to.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:10 pm

millerms06 wrote:Lots of interesting things happened this year which resulted in the results. I will say this, I am no Iditarod expert but from what I have learned just through watching is logistical considerations and timing the dogs efforts can be a critical component in winning the race. This year's race was the fourth closest race in Iditarod history with Aliy Zirkle (Eagle Pak) taking the second spot the second year in a row. Martin Bruser (Eagle Pak) still holds the Iditarod record for fastest overall time from his 2002 win and this year he ran his dogs from the start to the Rohn checkpoint with very miniscule breaks with regards to race standards. From my recollection, no one has ever done this. After that huge effort, he still managed to finish 17th with eleven dogs. Jeff King (Red Paw) and Lance Mackey (Red Paw) have won the Iditarod a combined eight times. Lance won it four times in a row, which I do not believe anyone has done yet. Knowing when to push the dogs, and for how long, seems to create good or bad outcomes. But honestly, determining what is a good or bad outcome is subjective if you truly consider what goals the musher is trying to accomplish. It may be a win, or trying to repeat wins, or trying to test his team on how fast you go over the other competitors.

Mark, if you read my post carefully it doesn't mention nutrition being paramount but rather it is but ONE contributing factor in success, no matter how you measure it. Dr. Tim's dog food is a competitive dog food with the other brands, but I wouldn't call it superior to anyone else. In fact I wouldn't really call any one dog food superior over another unless I have non biased and independent research supporting the claim. I am going to politely call your post out as a means of trying to stir a superiority complex, or a gorilla campaign to promote a product, when there is absolutely no need to.
Thank you for restoring my faith in people's understanding.

Ezzy

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:06 pm

milerms06,

No superiority complex or gorilla campaign here, brother. No need to jump to conclusions. Just giving a well deserved nod to guys I respect and happen to share a bond with from the mush dog side of life for collective jobs well done this year. Like I said..."this year"...and "nutrition plays a part of the overall success" in my previous post. That research report you put together shows you know way more about Iditarod statistics than you let on!I do however agree with your overall synopsis, if that makes you feel any better? -Mark

P.S. I will point out to anybody who cares. 1. Mush kennels do not feed solely dry kibble. 2. The association of dry brands to those named mushers using them for said collective past wins in millersms06 post is skew'd by the time frame they won races and were not feeding/endorsing those particular dry brands at the time of all results mentioned.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:56 pm

Actually Martin Buser was using Eagle Pack during and before the 2002 Iditarod. He actually has been using this feed since the early nineties. Aliy Zirkle used Eagle Pack both this year and last year and I am sure she would be inclined to inform someone whether or not she has used the kibble prior to those years even though SP Kennel has a standing endorsement with Eagle Pack.

Lance Mackey credits RedPaw as his choice kibble since 2004, this is before his first of four in a row Iditarod wins which was in 2007. It is my knowledge Jeff King used Kasco dog food for three of his four Iditarod wins. An Important note is that Royal Canin owned Kasco and this dog food had a string of recalls which made the company discontinue the brand.

I do not think of it being a stretch, but you are more than welcome to correct me if I am wrong.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:36 pm

The fact of the matter is that this thread isn't about comparisons of different foods. Congrats to Dr. Tim for helping to fuel those teams.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:38 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:The fact of the matter is that this thread isn't about comparisons of different foods. Congrats to Dr. Tim for helping to fuel those teams.

+2

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:46 pm

True indeed! ALL brands mentioned make awesome performance dry feed and can all hang their hats on great formulas that fuel top dogs that deliver top results!!!

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:46 pm

MonsterDad wrote:Well Dr. Tim's fed dogs won the Iditarod again this year, Mitch Seavey, the father of last's years winner. Also had 3 other teams place in the Top Ten.
I think it is a well known fact that if any musher hopes to finish the Iditarod with his dogs in good standing condition, kibble diets are by no means effective. Paid mushers (from the producers of dry diets) will make claims they fed brand "X" on the trail, but the reality is the raw meat diet (probably beaver and other wild animals) is what is fed if the musher have any hope of finishing without injuring the dogs. Kibble fare (regardless of type), will no doubt comprise less than 35% of the diet.

Bragging rights to kibble brand "X" on the trail amounts to nothing more than crafty marketing and slick advertising. Don't be fooled.
A good bird dog is always the right color

kumate

Post by kumate » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:14 pm

I have used Abady, orijen and most recently Earthborn Holistic. I Am now almost thru the first bag of Dr Tims Momentum. Stools are great coat is shining better than ever and i use less of it than any other right at 2cups for a 50pound Gsp, I get it from pet flow and it is the best of the lot

Jerry

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed May 01, 2013 3:03 pm

kumate wrote:I have used Abady, orijen and most recently Earthborn Holistic. I Am now almost thru the first bag of Dr Tims Momentum. Stools are great coat is shining better than ever and i use less of it than any other right at 2cups for a 50pound Gsp, I get it from pet flow and it is the best of the lot

Jerry
If you are on Facebook, there are a few good testimonials about this food. One is from the arctic guide, Joe Henderson, who says in the post that he feeds his very large Malamutes 1.5lbs of dry food per day, which is about 6 cups, on these tours of the arctic circle. These dogs have to be 125lbs. He stated that the dogs actually gained weight on this expedition on that much food.

Also, it looks like Scott Townsend of Crosswind Kennels is one of Dr. Tim's pro users now.

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed May 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Just got my first bag of Pursuit, the packaging and expiration date is excellent. Hope what's in the bag is as good. I think I'll start feeding the same amounts I'm feeding now and see if they (pointers) gain weight. I can't get my 10 month old male to gain weight no matter what I feed him of dry kibble. He gained some on satin balls though.

Steve

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri May 10, 2013 12:30 pm

SCT wrote:Just got my first bag of Pursuit, the packaging and expiration date is excellent. Hope what's in the bag is as good. I think I'll start feeding the same amounts I'm feeding now and see if they (pointers) gain weight. I can't get my 10 month old male to gain weight no matter what I feed him of dry kibble. He gained some on satin balls though.

Steve
Nice testimonial. Anyone know this guy? I pulled it off the Dr. Tim Facebook Page.

"Dr Tim:

I have been an avid NSTRA field trialer since 1989 and have fed almost all the premium brand dog foods so when I say your food is the best it is from experience. I have now switched all my dogs to your food and am seeing fabulous results in base endurance , performance stamina and weight stabilization during training. I am preparing one of my dogs for the UKC NSTRA National Endurance Trial in Nebraska at the end of this month. I feel my dog is in the best shape of her life and more prepared for this national endurance trial than any dog I have ever qualified and I think it has everything to do with your food. Interestingly, I switched to your food after losing a bet to Tc Morrow, a fellow field trialer, after he offered to feed my dog some of your food at a trail immediately following a run when she was exerted and hot. I told him she wouldn't eat it because she had just finished running, he persisted and I told him if she ate one bite I would buy a bag . My dog ate the entire bowl without picking her head up. I am now on my 7th bag. Keep up the good work!"

Lee M.
Iowa"

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 10, 2013 3:00 pm

[quote="dr tim

..................If you think the thread is covert advertising, drop it. Start up another nutrition thing and I would be happy to lend some thoughts. Maybe I should have done that in the first place.[/quote]

Now there's a gentleman. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

scott townsend

Post by scott townsend » Wed May 22, 2013 10:40 am

I started feeding Dr Tims first to just my trial dogs over a year ago, I had some concerns as to if a food with that much meat based protein would work on my dogs running in 70 to 95 degree temps. Those concerns were put to rest in short order. The dogs performed great in the heat. The one thing I noticed immediately was that during a brace/run the dogs didn't have top stop to dump out as much or at all. I have switched my kennel of 30 plus dogs over to it and thrilled with the results. Im seeing more and more of the field trial folks going to it as well. I have yet to hear anyone complain about the quality or the effects of the food.
go to his web site. It list every ingredient, explain what it is, what is does and why it is in his food. I know of no other company that does that.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:04 pm

scott townsend wrote:I started feeding Dr Tims first to just my trial dogs over a year ago, I had some concerns as to if a food with that much meat based protein would work on my dogs running in 70 to 95 degree temps. Those concerns were put to rest in short order. The dogs performed great in the heat. The one thing I noticed immediately was that during a brace/run the dogs didn't have top stop to dump out as much or at all. I have switched my kennel of 30 plus dogs over to it and thrilled with the results. Im seeing more and more of the field trial folks going to it as well. I have yet to hear anyone complain about the quality or the effects of the food.
go to his web site. It list every ingredient, explain what it is, what is does and why it is in his food. I know of no other company that does that.
Stick around and you will hear someone complain about the quality. You are right though, it is a good feed. But many companies have a site and they explain what and why they use the ingredients they do. Some I just can't agree with and if you read enough you will find the good feeds don't agree with each other. Problem is those explanations are written to conform to each companies marketing plan. I would have a problem with the price but I see no reason to complain about the quality.

Ezzy

scott townsend

Post by scott townsend » Thu May 23, 2013 8:23 am

Ezzy you are the last person I would think of that would try to poke holes in someones recommendation of a good dog food. Unless of course its the food you feed or the from company that you worked for. lmao. You rock man.
I will say this and then Im out of your dog food discussions because thats what all these food related discussions boil down to YOURS and your opinion.
This food is designed by a guy that has actually been there and done that, a performance dog guy that has spent the years, money, and the labor, working his own dogs, trying to get them to be the very best they can be. I wonder how many of the other dog food makers out there actually even own dogs ?????

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:49 am

scott townsend wrote:Ezzy you are the last person I would think of that would try to poke holes in someones recommendation of a good dog food. Unless of course its the food you feed or the from company that you worked for. lmao. You rock man.
I will say this and then Im out of your dog food discussions because thats what all these food related discussions boil down to YOURS and your opinion.
This food is designed by a guy that has actually been there and done that, a performance dog guy that has spent the years, money, and the labor, working his own dogs, trying to get them to be the very best they can be. I wonder how many of the other dog food makers out there actually even own dogs ?????
Scott, not often does anyone get criticized by someone for agreeing with them but you managed to do it.

Ezzy

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu May 23, 2013 6:31 pm

I have no issue with the price. I use DT Pursuit and it is the same price as Pro Plan Performance and Eukanuba Premium where I live but much better food. If skipping a beer a month is the difference between a cheap food and DT's, I will gladly skip the beer.

With all the useless junk hunters spend money on, complaining about the cost of food seems silly to me. I realize for a kennel operation it is different but most people on here have 1 or 2 medium sized dogs.

Scott is probably buying pallets and DT's prices on pallets is really good.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:21 pm

People are welcome to pay whatever they want or can afford. I just can not justify paying over twice as much and with similar results.

Ezzy

scott townsend

Post by scott townsend » Fri May 24, 2013 7:02 am

Define results and across how many dogs and what are you doing with them.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri May 24, 2013 8:57 am

Im loving DT Momentum. Consumption is low {as is stool} but energy levels and coat are great. I've fed PPP, Blue Buffalo, Diamond EA and others but this is my new food.

The only downside that Ive found is the fish breath that my dogs now have but I can live with that.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri May 24, 2013 11:13 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Im loving DT Momentum. Consumption is low {as is stool} but energy levels and coat are great. I've fed PPP, Blue Buffalo, Diamond EA and others but this is my new food.

The only downside that Ive found is the fish breath that my dogs now have but I can live with that.
Q for those that have fed momentum and PPP or other 30/20 like EA, Exceed, etc:

How much food by weight or cups (just stay consistant...) did you feed of the other and how much do you feed on momentum?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:32 pm

The test I did of Dr. Tim's feed showed the dog lost a pound while getting the same exact amount of it and the Diamond HE. So in reality they performed alike. I thought the feed was good in all areas. The one down side that was pretty minor but the dogs preferred the Diamond when given the choice after 4 weeks on the feed. But the cost was 350% higher. I would have much preferred having corn in it and having it reasonably priced. However I also understand when you have limited production and transportation capabilities, the way you stay in business is to raise the prices to make up for the lower volume and you have to have the marketing department develop their plan to provide for that reality.

Ezzy

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri May 24, 2013 1:49 pm

ezzy333 wrote:The test I did of Dr. Tim's feed showed the dog lost a pound while getting the same exact amount of it and the Diamond HE. So in reality they performed alike. I thought the feed was good in all areas. The one down side that was pretty minor but the dogs preferred the Diamond when given the choice after 4 weeks on the feed. But the cost was 350% higher. I would have much preferred having corn in it and having it reasonably priced. However I also understand when you have limited production and transportation capabilities, the way you stay in business is to raise the prices to make up for the lower volume and you have to have the marketing department develop their plan to provide for that reality.

Ezzy
When you go from a food like Diamond Premium or the 24/20 with lets say 30 - 40% calories from carbohydrates to Momentum with about 17% a small amount of weight loss will always occur. It is the same principal as Atkins or South Beach diet. However, the added protein and fat is much better for the dog over the long-term. The way HE maintains weight is basically like a kid eating Twinkies, cheap carbs and low protein.

The price is also related to ingredient quality, from the grade of protein to the supplier of the vitamins. Diamond does a great job of filling a big need in the market but please don't say because it is a large company it uses the same ingredient quality that the smaller companies use but get its cheaper due to scale. That is silly.

I have used Diamond before and I spent much more on teeth cleaning (even in a short period of time) than the difference in price between a food like Dr. Tim's. The dogs also had a strange smell about them, hard to describe really.

No doubt it is more money than Diamond, but certainly no more than Pro Plan, Eukanuba and some others in many parts of the country. If it is, it is a very small amount.

I would say you can feed 25% less if you use Momentum 35/25 compared to the typical better quality performance foods.
Last edited by MonsterDad on Fri May 24, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri May 24, 2013 1:59 pm

ezzy, were you using momentum?

It is the others that have fed both and are claiming feeding less that I am really wanting quantification on. How much less? I have fed EVO to my high energy needs dog and I fed 4-5 cups of EVO compared to 7-8 cups Proplan/Sportmix blend per day with weight gain results. (There were other benefits also...) Trying to see about how the momentum would compare just in amount fed.

If momentum was availble near me for a 1-2 bag trial I would jump on that next winter.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri May 24, 2013 2:06 pm

mountaindogs wrote:ezzy, were you using momentum?

It is the others that have fed both and are claiming feeding less that I am really wanting quantification on. How much less? I have fed EVO to my high energy needs dog and I fed 4-5 cups of EVO compared to 7-8 cups Proplan/Sportmix blend per day with weight gain results. (There were other benefits also...) Trying to see about how the momentum would compare just in amount fed.

If momentum was availble near me for a 1-2 bag trial I would jump on that next winter.
Ask Scott Townsend how much he is feeding his Shorthairs. That is a good guide. I know a guy with trial GWP's that is using 3 cups I believe of Momentum. PM me I will give you his name.

You can order Momentum on-line, free shipping and no tax, be at your door in 3 days.

scott townsend

Post by scott townsend » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:31 pm

50 pound shorthair, field trial dog that is getting conditioning work 4 to 5 times a week, I am feeding him 2.5 cups of Momentum a day. Those are measured out cups.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:35 pm

mountaindogs wrote:ezzy, were you using momentum?

If we could get a couple people to go in on a 1/2 pallet I would be willing to give it a try. I have been feeding Nutri-Source super performance for about a year and have been much more satisfied with it than the Diamond EA.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:33 pm

scott townsend wrote:50 pound shorthair, field trial dog that is getting conditioning work 4 to 5 times a week, I am feeding him 2.5 cups of Momentum a day. Those are measured out cups.
That is what I would have guessed. It is not uncommon for people to feed 4-5 cups of Pro Plan to that same dog.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:38 pm

Georgia Boy wrote: If we could get a couple people to go in on a 1/2 pallet I would be willing to give it a try. I have been feeding Nutri-Source super performance for about a year and have been much more satisfied with it than the Diamond EA.
With some notice I could do about 4-5 bags to try. Best for me to try in the fall probably... as summer is not a true test really...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:45 pm

MonsterDad wrote:
scott townsend wrote:50 pound shorthair, field trial dog that is getting conditioning work 4 to 5 times a week, I am feeding him 2.5 cups of Momentum a day. Those are measured out cups.
That is what I would have guessed. It is not uncommon for people to feed 4-5 cups of Pro Plan to that same dog.
Monster Dad,
Please give us the names of a few of those people who are feeding 4-5 cups a day ? I have been involved in feed and feed tests for quite some time and have never found a 199% difference in what two feeds could produce. I can't even imagine what you could possibly put in a feed that would allow it to carry twice the calories.

Scott,
I have seen a lot of dogs do very well on the 2 to 2.5 cups a day though of many different feeds so I am sure your dog would be doing well on it. Keep us informed on how your pup continues to perform and how much you are feeding as I think you will find that is more than he needs year round.

Ezzy

SCT

Post by SCT » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:17 pm

I've been using the Pursuit now for just under a month (not long enough for a good example of what the food will do, I know). First thing I noticed was my two pointers started eating grass/weeds. Never really saw them doing that with PPP or Loyall (I'm guessing it's the lack of corn?). But, that has tapered off. I feed my female 2 cups and my male 2.75 cups and have not seen any real difference in their weight or coat. They have always had good coats. Maybe a very slight weight gain. This is the same amount I've been feeding of the other foods with the same protein/fat ratios, except maybe a bit more of PPP. PPP probably suffered the most at keeping their weight on.

I would try another bag of it, but my friends clinic just started carrying Native dog food so I'm going to try a couple bags of that (level 3). Same ratios and a little less money. I may also start feeding them raw chicken wings and necks or turkey necks consistently depending how much they will cost me per month.

Steve

scott townsend

Post by scott townsend » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:45 am

ezzy333 wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:
Monster Dad,
Please give us the names of a few of those people who are feeding 4-5 cups a day ? I have been involved in feed and feed tests for quite some time and have never found a 199% difference in what two feeds could produce. I can't even imagine what you could possibly put in a feed that would allow it to carry twice the calories.

Scott,
I have seen a lot of dogs do very well on the 2 to 2.5 cups a day though of many different feeds so I am sure your dog would be doing well on it. Keep us informed on how your pup continues to perform and how much you are feeding as I think you will find that is more than he needs year round.

Ezzy
This is a 3 and a half year old dog that has been on the feed for a year and a half and on the trial circuit for 14 months. I guess I don't get what you mean when you say "that is more than he needs year round". He is fed that amount based on his looks , his stamina and overall condition.
If I could get by feeding less I would, but that is what it takes to keep him where I need him. I can tell you this. That is the least amount of dog food I have ever fed a trial dog to sustain them. I also have several other trial dogs on the same plan. Feeding Diamond products required twice the amount of feed, with horrible results. Those results were consistent throughout the 30 to 40 dog kennel.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:10 am

I have never had a dog yet that could hold weight on 2 cups during hunting season. That would be delightful! Interestingly I just switched back to everyone back to sportmix for the summer a month ago. Couldn't get the hardest keeper looking good enough so switched him to a 38/20 grain free (he does not have allergies that I know of just highest calories food I could find) and his stool volume is 1/3 of what it was on sportmix. He is a spaz in the kennel kicking poo everywhere but on the higher calorie food his small amount of stool may get stepped on but it isn't NEARLY the cleaning issue I have with the softer higher volume stool.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:06 am

I feed 2 cups per day of Momentum and my dogs run twice per day, 7 days per week. We have no "off season". I have even had to cut them back further due to the heat we are having so some days they only get 1 cup per day.

I was feeding 4+ cups per day using PPP so count me in as one of the people who has reduced the amount that I feed.