Something in dogs eye?

GSPTrigger

Something in dogs eye?

Post by GSPTrigger » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:33 pm

I came back from a run with my GSP and a little while later noticed that his eye was swollen a little and looked red and irritated. I could not see anything in it. What it the best way to clean out his eye?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Something in dogs eye?

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Flush it with optical saline, making sure to not drive anything deeper. It may also be a scratch on the inside of the lid.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:49 pm

I always keep pharma grade boric acid in the house. Mix 1/4th teaspoon in a pint of sterile water or sterile saline solution. Use a baking spoon to measure and boil the water first and let cool. Saline in the sterile bottle doesnt have to be boiled.

If it discharges yellow then get something from the vet.

All the OTC eyewashes are just saline and boric acid. You can just make it at home.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:02 am

starting in spring, I keep a bottle of saline in the car because most likely after runs, the dogs eyes are filled with grass seeds. They can lodge fairly deep in the socket so flush the eye out well.

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:03 pm

with a little practice you can roll around his skin just above or below the eye. Doing this you can "lift / pull the
eye lid/s up & around & see if there is anything in the front part of the eye. Flushing is preferred method of removal.
If the dog does not tolerate this much handling well, it is more difficult to flush or anything else.