Checking for Ticks?

crazyboy

Checking for Ticks?

Post by crazyboy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:49 am

Living in an area with a large amount of ticks, and family members who suffer from Lymes I'm looking for the best methods for checking the pups for ticks. They have frontline every month. I'm just wondering if there is something better to do aside from just giving them a look over when were done.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Checking for Ticks?

Post by nikegundog » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:07 pm

I have another question and I'll ask it here since I think it in the same line of questioning. When I use Frontline its seems to me that it keeps ticks off of my dog for about three months so I haven't been using it monthly. Is anyone else seeing the same results?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:52 pm

I only use frontline in the late summer/ fall, seems to me the ivermec I've got the dogs on helps with ticks.

As far as checking them I will hang out with the dogs after a days hunting, in the course of petting them i am really checking the most common areas they get ticks on them.....Neck, shoulders , chest. They think I'm just petting and scratching them but I'm really checking for any ticks. Its certainly easier checking the white pointers, the lab takes some more going over. A good hand washing always follows the pat down.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:42 pm

birddog1968 wrote:I only use frontline in the late summer/ fall, seems to me the ivermec I've got the dogs on helps with ticks.

As far as checking them I will hang out with the dogs after a days hunting, in the course of petting them i am really checking the most common areas they get ticks on them.....Neck, shoulders , chest. They think I'm just petting and scratching them but I'm really checking for any ticks. Its certainly easier checking the white pointers, the lab takes some more going over. A good hand washing always follows the pat down.
Thanks for the input! That's pretty much how I do it as well.

Red

Post by Red » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Don't forget to check inside the ear, pull a tick form my pup last month in his ear...
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:08 pm

http://www.atozvetsupply.com/SearchResu ... Search.y=0

when you do find a tick ..Get a few of these tick twisters to have on hand. Do not squeeze the tick or burn it or Vaseline and a cotton ball the Tick Twister slide right at the base of where the tick is latched on to the dog you pull upward and twist and the tick comes out
Squeezing trying to burn or suffocate will cause the tick to regurgitate blood back into the dog which greatly increases chances of it transmitting anything it may be carrying
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:38 pm

Crazyboy,
If you run dogs with a fine tight coat, you could also try using a flea type comb.
Or, a very fine toothed stainless comb. If you run E. Pointers, this would be ideal I would think.