When to switch from puppy to adult food?

shootist

When to switch from puppy to adult food?

Post by shootist » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:58 pm

When do you switch?

RabbitBeagle

Post by RabbitBeagle » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:03 pm

Depends on the type of dog you have. But you should keep them on puppy food until they are full grown. For some larger breeds you should keep them on puppy food for about 2 years. For my Beagle she will be full grown at about 1 year old so that is when I am going to switch her to adult dog food.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:06 pm

I would recomend switching when you dog has stopped filling out with muscle and starts filling out with weight.

With your dog I would switch around 18 months but each dog is different.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:23 pm

I like to switch by 6 months or so depending on the pups condition. I normally haven't used puppy food since the pups temnd to grow too fast on it. But the two I have now i did use it for a few months but limited it and started mixing it with reg food when they were 4 months.

I'll get a lot of arguement I'm sure but I dont like to see pups carring a lot of weight or growing too fast.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:54 pm

Dennis,

Switched my Griff whan she was 6 mos.

Jay

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:48 am

Was at the Vet's office this week with my 10 1/2 mth pup. who is right at 35lbs & has really started to muscle up here in the last several weeks.

He advised me that I could/should switch over to an adult food now. As my pup has already filled out & is putting on muscle. Of course his main concern was that the adult formulas tend to have less calories. Which would keep my pup from getting overweight, something he preachs all the time.

Of courrse I don't think that will be a problem for my pup as she is pretty lean.

Huntumup

Post by Huntumup » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:34 am

My vet told me to switch to adult food when my weim was 6 months old. My vet also had the same breed of dog so I tend to listen to him on all advise he will give.

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:46 am

Well here it is 3 months later and my pup (now 13mths) is still eating Euk med breed puppy food. I stopped by the Vets office on last Saturday to use weigh my pup.

I was a little surprised to find out she was 34.9lbs, bascially the same she has been for the last 4-5 months. During this time she has put on some muscle & I really think she is looking good.

Which really makes the descision of changing food a little tough. Her stools, coat, & general appearance is good. Plus her weight has been stable.

So at this point I really can't think of a good reason to change her food.

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:05 pm

8 Weeks, but I might go a little longer to see what happens with my current pup.

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:50 pm

NDBDHunter wrote:8 Weeks, but I might go a little longer to see what happens with my current pup.
you mean that after your pups 8 weeeks old you put them adult food. they need all the good stuff they can get till there at least full grown. We feed puppy food for at least a year.

big steve46

puppies

Post by big steve46 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:37 am

Common sense says that how soon you switch to an adult food depends on the adult formula. If your adult formula is a premium brand with at least 26% protein and small pellets, you could switch within a couple of months after weaning. No doubt the feed companies would like you to buy the feeds that cost more per pound for as long as possible.
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:20 am

I have raised most of my pups on a regular dogfood with somewhere around 12 to 15 percent protien. They get fed twice a day when they are small and may be switched to once per day as they get older. Between the lower protien and limited feed we have had no problem with HD so hopefully the feeding routine has helped at least.

If you are going to use a puppy food I would limit the amount and get off of it while the pups are young. Keep the wieght and activity of pups at a lower level will help and the pup won't suffer in growth or health.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:27 am

I realize that some do not recommend higher protein foods for puppies and I agree to some extent but I see nothing wrong with 26-27 % if it is a good brand made with protein sources that are easily assimilated. After all, you want to promote muscular growth. However, my expertise is in human nutrition not animal so I could be wrong.
big steve