How to get a pup full?

Onk

How to get a pup full?

Post by Onk » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:41 am

My 3 1/2 month old Brittany can't seem to get enough to eat! I feed him 3 times a day about 1 1/2 to 2 cups per feeding. He scarfs down his food and is then on the hunt for more. I've tried increasing the amounts and I've tried the let him eat as much as he wants twice a day for ten minutes thing, both lead to a bad case of the squirts. He looks healthy as a dog can look, not sure if he is really hungry or just has that fat kid looking at the last cupcake syndrome! Any help or advice would be appreciated!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: How to get a pup full?

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:09 am

One cup or a little more should be plenty of most any feed for the pup. Pups like kids are always hungry, and that is good. Just keep the pup in good condition and don't worry about how much it takes. As it matures the amount needed will get to be less and then the amount of activity will be the main fctore that will vary the amount it needs. Always watch your dog to decide how much feed it needs and not what is written on a bag or what someone else tells you. The pup is the one to listen to.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:44 am

Try probiotics.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:56 pm

try putting the food on a big cookie sheet that has a rim and add a little water to float the kibbles that will force him to slow down

I have a couple dogs that we have to do that with and as long as they are eating like that they maintain weight nicely put food in a bowl and then they hork food down and drop weight
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:14 pm

Onk wrote:My 3 1/2 month old Brittany can't seem to get enough to eat! I feed him 3 times a day about 1 1/2 to 2 cups per feeding. He scarfs down his food and is then on the hunt for more. I've tried increasing the amounts and I've tried the let him eat as much as he wants twice a day for ten minutes thing, both lead to a bad case of the squirts. He looks healthy as a dog can look, not sure if he is really hungry or just has that fat kid looking at the last cupcake syndrome! Any help or advice would be appreciated!
All of my dogs are that way. :lol:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:33 pm

Thanks for all the advice and idea's. Before I read any of them I stopped by our local farm and home store and found this bowl. We'll give it a try and see if he slows down. Had a EP that ate fast but would get full, I put a rock in his food bowl he had to eat around. Tried with this Brit, he just removed the rock....dog 1 owner 0!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:35 pm

Sorry, don't know why the picture came out so darn big!

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:08 am

Update: Time to try KNines idea of the cookie sheet....slow down bowl worked on my pup for all of two days until he mastered how to still scarf his food out of it. On the bright side of things, he has learned the kennel command faster than any dog I have ever owned because of his extreme drive for food....one or two chunks of kibble as a treat for kenneling is all it took.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:27 am

Try a 12 cup muffin or cupcake baking pan. You might also try feeding a larger kibble. Cajun Casey knows the sizes well but in my experience Royal Canin makes by far the largest kibbles.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:02 am

Onk wrote:Update: Time to try KNines idea of the cookie sheet....slow down bowl worked on my pup for all of two days until he mastered how to still scarf his food out of it. On the bright side of things, he has learned the kennel command faster than any dog I have ever owned because of his extreme drive for food....one or two chunks of kibble as a treat for kenneling is all it took.

That is what happened to us after trying some of those fancy bowls

PS tried the muffin pan he stepped on the corner of the tin sending food every where and even though i hose the kennels out before I feed them it isn't what I would consider the ideal surface to eat off of so I went back to the cookie sheet
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:43 am

Try a Kong Wobbler.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:57 am

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Try a Kong Wobbler.

These work great, we got one to keep our pup content and slow down the feeding. He loves it!!!!!

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Got the cookie sheet ready to try at tonights feeding so we'll see how that goes. These King Wobbler things, how much food do they hold?

helpful_cub

Post by helpful_cub » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:25 pm

I started adding two tablespoons of pumpkin to his dog's food. The added fiber seems to help him feel full and definitely makes his business nicely formed. I think that's an inherent problem with high energy dog food, there's not enough fiber in it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:43 pm

helpful_cub wrote:I started adding two tablespoons of pumpkin to his dog's food. The added fiber seems to help him feel full and definitely makes his business nicely formed. I think that's an inherent problem with high energy dog food, there's not enough fiber in it.
So very true but everyone is overly concerned about how much waste the dogs produce and pick their feed accordingly. Bet if you read through the posts on this board you can find over a hundred that say just that, had to switch because of too much waste.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:06 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
helpful_cub wrote:I started adding two tablespoons of pumpkin to his dog's food. The added fiber seems to help him feel full and definitely makes his business nicely formed. I think that's an inherent problem with high energy dog food, there's not enough fiber in it.
So very true but everyone is overly concerned about how much waste the dogs produce and pick their feed accordingly. Bet if you read through the posts on this board you can find over a hundred that say just that, had to switch because of too much waste.

Ezzy
So are you then volunteering to clean everyone's kennel or backyard?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:24 pm

Onk wrote:Got the cookie sheet ready to try at tonights feeding so we'll see how that goes. These King Wobbler things, how much food do they hold?
Up to a cup on the large Wobbler