GSP with a fat face........

jimbo&rooster

GSP with a fat face........

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:31 pm

My wife came home from work today to find my GSP in his kennel with his face all swollen. she gave him some Benadryl and his face had come down by the time I got home. However his lips are still swollen about twice as thick as normal and the loose skin on his kneck feels thick, and his ears feel thick.
Any thoughts on what it might have been? My lab was in the kennel with him and is fine.
Cant really swing a trip to the emergency vet,
He has been drinking water and did eat some treats.
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP with a fat face........

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:40 pm

Insect sting. Maybe he even got one inside his mouth. Keep up regular doses of Benadryl would be my choice of action.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:59 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:My wife came home from work today to find my GSP in his kennel with his face all swollen. she gave him some Benadryl and his face had come down by the time I got home. However his lips are still swollen about twice as thick as normal and the loose skin on his kneck feels thick, and his ears feel thick.
Any thoughts on what it might have been? My lab was in the kennel with him and is fine.
Cant really swing a trip to the emergency vet,
He has been drinking water and did eat some treats.
Jim
As long as he is acting fine I would also continue with. The bendrayl. Pay close attention though. As for what. Spider bee wasp or what ever else can sting or bite. Do you have copper heads there. Of so again pay close attention if you find anyting that looks like fang marks as long as he is acting fine call vet in the morning to get some antibiotics to help prevent any secondary infection
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:08 pm

Insect sting. Maybe he even got one inside his mouth. Keep up regular doses of Benadryl would be my choice of action.
Ditto. Had this happen before and bc of spider bites. Benadryl: 1 mg/lb

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:58 am

Same here, my dogs face and eyes sealed shut when he got stung by a bee, i was there when he got stung thats how i know what it was and within minutes he swelled up so i called the vet and he advised benedryl and it helped..i think he remembers cause even if a fly comes near his ears he panic's and runs for cover :lol: ..ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:10 am

Well he started to act funny and with an HT coming up this weekend and my wife giving me a rough way to go, ol rooster found himself on the table at the emergency vet for a shot and a script, basic thoughts are bee sting or some other critter bit him. As of breakfast he bas back to his usual goofy self.

Thanks
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:16 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:Well he started to act funny and with an HT coming up this weekend and my wife giving me a rough way to go, ol rooster found himself on the table at the emergency vet for a shot and a script, basic thoughts are bee sting or some other critter bit him. As of breakfast he bas back to his usual goofy self.

Thanks
Jim
Glad hes doing better :D ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:48 am

Bees I hate em. She catches them all the time. I have spent 150 on the vet for it. Next time benedryl......