Cut On Feet

grant
GDF Junkie

Cut On Feet

Post by grant » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:05 pm

Hi everyone,

Came home today, and Bell has a cut on two of her toes. Its on the black pad part of her feet. Its not to deep, but its deep enought to have a slow bleed. What is the best way to treat this?

:?:

Grant

Featherman

Post by Featherman » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:53 pm

Since it doesn't sound too serious, keep it clean and apply EMT Gel. Should take care of it.

Jon

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:37 am

EMT Gel, best thing since sliced bread! I've had dogs that have had their pads cut half off...put the stuff on, kept hunting and by the end of the day, you'd hardly know anything was wrong...either from the reaction of the dog or by looking. I use it for everything...cuts, burns, wounds etc., anytime there is open skin. Make sure to get an extra tube to keep in the first aid box for hunting.

emae

Post by emae » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:52 am

where do you get emt gel? Also, what kind of emergency kit do you take w/you on hunts and where can you get something like that?
Thanks.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:00 am

Most vets carry the gel. You can also check a fleet and farm type store. Otherwise, you can order it on-line from a number of catalogs; Lion Country Supply, Revival Animal Health etc.

I have the gel, gauze pads, thermometer, antibiotic ointment, cohesive wrap, alcohol pads, cotton balls, Q-tips, gloves, tournique, scissors, paper toweling, hydrogen peroxide, saline solution, a number of different washes for both eye and ears, cold pack, and pain relievers. You can purchase these in kits also. I put it in a sturdy box and keep in the back of the truck at all times.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:16 am

Thanks everyone,

Also for the EMT Gel, checkout

http://www.valleydogs.ca
http://www.gundogforum.com/ads.php?id=2

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:18 pm

Before you seal a cut with EMT Gel, Superglue (which also works real well) or anything else be sure and boil it out well with peroxide, be sure there' sno dirt, hair etc or anythign else left in it and treat with iodine. Iodine works well on anaerobes which are your biggest threat with a sealed over wound. Yes I know EMT gel has some antibacterial capabilities but you have to start clean and fresh first. Other wise you odds of creating a deep abcess that can be a real problem are way too high. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Wireviz_lady

Blue Foot

Post by Wireviz_lady » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:26 am

I like to use Blue Foot. It is also an antiseptic and helps seal it up. Everyyear Jamie runs through barbwire on his South Dakota hunt so we keep well stocked on it and keep a needle and thread. We have also used duct tape to protect the cuts in the thick brush afterwards. (Not if he is stitched) It works well.
Bec