Thinking about a Field First aid kit

mobeasto123

Thinking about a Field First aid kit

Post by mobeasto123 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:34 am

Hi there, Was wondering about a small First aid Kit that could fit in my hunting vest to be able to reat quickly but I don't want to add to much weight or space needs this one could be small and I could have a bigger on in my truck .. But don't know what to put in it a lot of good ideas out there !!! Do you guys have a kind of kit like it that fit in your pocket and what do you put in it...

Thanks
David
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Thinking about a Field First aid kit

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 03, 2011 11:38 am

packets of sugar and some vet wrap small bottle of saline solution for wash out.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue May 03, 2011 11:40 am

mobeasto123 wrote:Hi there, Was wondering about a small First aid Kit that could fit in my hunting vest to be able to reat quickly but I don't want to add to much weight or space needs this one could be small and I could have a bigger on in my truck .. But don't know what to put in it a lot of good ideas out there !!! Do you guys have a kind of kit like it that fit in your pocket and what do you put in it...

Thanks
David

Good post! I want to do this also. Interested to hear feedback.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue May 03, 2011 12:14 pm

kninebirddog wrote:packets of sugar and some vet wrap small bottle of saline solution for wash out.
same i have plus i have tweezers incase of ticks....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 03, 2011 12:17 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:packets of sugar and some vet wrap small bottle of saline solution for wash out.
Tick Twister :mrgreen:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue May 03, 2011 12:31 pm

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue May 03, 2011 12:44 pm

kninebirddog wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:
Tick Twister :mrgreen:
I have seen them in advertisements, does it really work as good as tweezers, i kinda thought it was a gimmick when i seen them kinda like the "snuggie" which to me is just a robe worn backwards :lol: ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 03, 2011 12:57 pm

I have seen them in advertisements, does it really work as good as tweezers, i kinda thought it was a gimmick when i seen them kinda like the "snuggie" which to me is just a robe worn backwards :lol: ...ruth

Will never go back to tweezers...they slide up under even seed ticks nice thing is there is NO squeezing of the ticks at all so no pushing back any of the potentially infected blood back into the dog.

I have quite a few of them from in the trailer truck etc ...I HATE TICKS I HATE TICKS I HATE TICKS

VizslaGirl

Post by VizslaGirl » Tue May 03, 2011 2:12 pm

I have a first-aid kit that fits in a small backpack that I wear out in the field.

It contains:

Novalsan Solution
Saline (and syringes to flush wounds or eyes)
Alcohol wipes
Gauze Squares
Vet-wrap
Telfa Pads
Bandage Gauze
Elastikon Tape
Hemostats
Bandage Scissors
Quik Stop - clotting powder
Thermometer
Prednisone 20mg (5)
Metronidazole 250mg (10)
Benadryl 25mg (10)
Rimadyl 25mg (10)
Famotidine 20mg (5)
1000cc LRS (plus line and 18ga needles)
IV Catheter supplies (I'm a vet tech and am able to place them competantly and safely)

I can carry all of that with me with no issue. It's been a life saver once or twice!
CH Barben's Miss American Pie - "Mimi"
Barben's Chianti CD, RA, MH - "Cali "
Barben's Rob Roy SH - "Robby"
Barben's Summer Fling MH - "Summer"
Barben's Dizzy Miss Lizzy - "Lizzy"

BlueMoon Vizslas - http://www.bluemoonvizslas.com

Spark

Post by Spark » Tue May 03, 2011 2:57 pm

nice post I have been coming up with ideas on what to carry also. Can I ask what is the sugar packets for?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 03, 2011 3:05 pm

Spark wrote:nice post I have been coming up with ideas on what to carry also. Can I ask what is the sugar packets for?
Sugar will help stop bleeding will help shrink swelling has healing properties so should you have a cut that is deep flush out with saline solution sprinkle the sugar to control bleeding and swelling wrap and get to vet or back to truck to staple or what ever else one needs to do

I learned the sugar from my cattle days with first timer that had a calf to big and got a prolapsed uterus have to shrink them to get them back in :| or a horse that cut himself up by using the sugar when being stitched or glued back together scarring was quite a bit less

same with the whelping if you have a umbilical cord not want to seal up..sugar does wonders

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue May 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Sugar's somewhat antibacterial, too.

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:07 pm

There sugar Is Used with succes in the movie Shooter and Bob lee Swager... I was sceptical When I saw that In the movie but after some research everything is true.. Rinse the wound with the saline and put some sugar on it ( and a lot of sugar you need to cover it completly) .. In fact from what I've read you could use it for a complete healing if you want .. You have to change the bandage an gauze you are using 3-4 times you will see the sugar become like a syrup. When it is completly disolved in the wound it's time to change the bandages. Check the state of your dog and consult If needed. Or you could also give it a broadband antibiotic as prevention for a week or so .. You have also to be sure that your dog is drinking a lot of water cause there could be issue with renal function ( you could also add just a small bit of salt to the water to act like an electrolyte).. that's about it for the sugar..

It is also a great Idea, I hadn't thought about it in my First Aid kit now it's in..
Also the stapler maybe in my First aid kit that will be in the truck.

Thanks guys.
David
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Tue May 03, 2011 10:16 pm

Did you make this up or buy it. On a snake bite how much Benadryl 25mg would you give.
VizslaGirl wrote:I have a first-aid kit that fits in a small backpack that I wear out in the field.

It contains:

Novalsan Solution
Saline (and syringes to flush wounds or eyes)
Alcohol wipes
Gauze Squares
Vet-wrap
Telfa Pads
Bandage Gauze
Elastikon Tape
Hemostats
Bandage Scissors
Quik Stop - clotting powder
Thermometer
Prednisone 20mg (5)
Metronidazole 250mg (10)
Benadryl 25mg (10)
Rimadyl 25mg (10)
Famotidine 20mg (5)
1000cc LRS (plus line and 18ga needles)
IV Catheter supplies (I'm a vet tech and am able to place them competantly and safely)

I can carry all of that with me with no issue. It's been a life saver once or twice!
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed May 04, 2011 6:51 am

Skin stapler. You can get them on eBay or amazon. Or if you know an OR nurse or surgeon, ask for an outdated one.

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Wed May 04, 2011 7:15 am

The old link someone else put up had this in it's kit, and I swear by it. SUPER GLUE.

If you can slow bleeding, or pinch off bleeding, super glue is safe and VERY effective for closing a cut, human, dog, horse or otherwise. It is good for small cuts, less than an inch, even bleeders if you can pinch them off, long enough to get the glue in.

Wrap the wound and move along.

With bad briar cuts and split thumbs, and cracked hands during the colder months, the superglue works nicely where bandages are impractical.

The sugar is interesting... hope I never have to try it.
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 04, 2011 8:05 am

Yes Superglue I keep that back at the truck

there i have more stuff but remember if you do use super glue to make sure what you are gluing together has been cleaned and disinfected

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun May 29, 2011 10:22 pm

FYI: A canine ophthalmologist suggests distilled water as even better than saline solution. I've switched.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com